Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hate that bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Moto Guzzi 850 Le mans...I managed to singe my jeans on the cylinder heads!

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:23 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT07 don't understand why people like them, they are cheap and my god can you tell - everything feels like it's made out of cheese.

EDIT: Also which donkey at Yamaha decided to put the horn right beside the indicator switch

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

As for rubbish road bikes,the worst by far was a friend's Suzuki GT750 triple that I had to ride in the wet.The throttle was heavy,the twin front discs did not work in the light rain and the thing pogoed around corners when carrying my friend on the back Shocked

I always wanted a kettle, they look stunning. Please don't spoil my childish fantasy. Crying or Very sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
MT07 don't understand why people like them, they are cheap and my god can you tell - everything feels like it's made out of cheese.

I can see why they did that with the MT-07/09, the MT-01 and original MT-03 were built like Chuck Norris and didn't sell well. I actually remember seeing a new MT-03 and MT-09 at a Yamaha dealer that were the same price Thinking

LukeG89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:01 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be slightly Controversial but i hate the "busa"

it just looks fat..

no doubt if i had a shot , i would most likely fall in love.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT-03, hit the limiter far to easily

T100; handled worse than a 1955 Norton Dominator!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:

It wasn't a redline it everywhere type of bike Neutral
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:01 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 1200S

It was a total hooligan bike to ride and never failed to make me grin. But fuck me was it unreliable. Any hint of light rain and the electrics started playing up, culminating with me being stranded on the side of the M23 in a monsoon when it just totally died. The rain was so bad that the speaker on my phone drowned and the AA couldn't hear where I was to come and get me. That was a fun several hours in torrential freezing rain whilst the AA can checked every slip road in the area trying to find me... Only to arrive and find out it's dead and needed a flatbed to recover it... As I told them it would on the phone... Yet they sent a van to check first anyway.

I don't think I know anyone who owns a bandit 1200 or 600 that doesn't shit itself in the rain.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Dr. DaveJPS wrote:

It wasn't a redline it everywhere type of bike Neutral

I wasn't trying to redline it everywhere. I was loaned one while my FZS600 was being serviced and still managed to hit the limiter in 1st and 2nd on my way home. It probably wasn't a bad machine but it put me off singles for a long while!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! You were riding a single like it was an IL4.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
I'm inviting Tef to excel even his usual output

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:42 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Can someone explain to me the basic differences in characteristics between engine types? I'm quite mechanically minded but nevertheless I always get confused when I hear phrases like single, twin, triple, IL4. I'm guessing that's how many cylinders the engine has? But how does that affect its performance and behaviour?

Single, usually big lumpy thumpy. Masses of engine braking. Not really revvy, as in they don't tend to do 15,000rpm like IL4s. Think like a diesel, only less countryside killer.

Twin, there are V twins, so in a 45/90/another degree config. Parallel twins like ER5/6 GS500 shit heaps, different configs in there too, so a TRX850 for example will be different to an ER5, no only in capacity but actual ride-ability. Tend to have less revs before smacking that limiter, or at least a feeling of it. My SV is like... limiter bashing heaven.

Triple, the saviour of the midrange. Street Triple/Daytona 675 engines, fairly spritely engines that make a solid noise. They also have a 1050 triple, a 900 triple... its a nice engine option.

IL4, revvy as beans usually. Some tuned for upper range of the revs, sports bikes etc. Some for the midrange, detuned sports bikes like R1 engine > FZ1 with a change of cams/detune etc means its likely to have more usability without having to sit at 7k+

Not the best explanation, but thats vaguely OK. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Single... like a diesel

*blocked* Smile They tend to give you all their power in one spazzy burst, it depends if you like spazzy Folded arms

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:01 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTV650, it was very cheap and it showed. Walked outside one day to find it had been nicked and actually smiled. Now I have a Cb500 which was £100 cheaper (£320), a bit slower and far more tatty looking but just seems to ride much nicer. Also hated the sv650 I got as a courtesy bike while my blade was in the shop.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err sort of Smile In terms of characteristics my general feeling is parallel twins/triples/IL4's have a fairly linear power delivery, big singles and V-configs are normally more 'interesting' in terms of engine braking etc.. It depends what you like.

Triples are good because they sound better than an IL4 and generally weigh less.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like singles.
Speed limits en force over the country, but no limits regarding how fast you get to them Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much generalising going on here. I don't think all parallel twins are shit, it's a nice engine option for a 2cylinder, as say on a sports bike a 90degree V-twin usually has to make some pretty heavy compromises to the bike design and component placement. A good IL2 engine should always be lighter than a V-twin or Boxer design too.

People bang on about certain engine configurations like they are magical, (V-fours great example of) but as Paddy said firing order makes a huge difference to the way an engine feels and sounds.

Its a bit like how some people say the off beat rumble of a Subaru Impreza is cool, yet a Honda civic with an exhaust manifold that cylinders 2 and 3 are twice the primary pipe length is a nasty broken car sound.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot aren't even trying. Honda CBX-6. Rattly, positively evil handling, heavy, thirsty, did I mention the handling being lethal?
Laverda Jota. Possibly the most hateful thing I ever owned. Vibes, weight of HMS Hood, un-tunable Del Orto carbs (swapped them for some Mikunis, at least then it would start and tick-over), terrifying speed wobbles just over the ton unless tyres were absolutely brand new...... I could go on and on ad on....
Any air-cooled Yamaha 2-stroke. A short life and a reasonably happy one, as long as you didn't mind stinking of burnt oil and you were adept at changing pistons / rings on a regular basis.
Yamaha FZR600's, gutless, especially if compared to a Kwak ZZR600. (Mind you, the EXUP 1000's were bloody superb).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeG89 wrote:
Might be slightly Controversial but i hate the "busa"

it just looks fat..

no doubt if i had a shot , i would most likely fall in love.

They are fucking awesome machines. Hate is an OTT word for looks anyway.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
You lot aren't even trying. Honda CBX-6. Rattly, positively evil handling, heavy, thirsty, did I mention the handling being lethal?
Laverda Jota. Possibly the most hateful thing I ever owned. Vibes, weight of HMS Hood, un-tunable Del Orto carbs (swapped them for some Mikunis, at least then it would start and tick-over), terrifying speed wobbles just over the ton unless tyres were absolutely brand new...... I could go on and on ad on....
Any air-cooled Yamaha 2-stroke. A short life and a reasonably happy one, as long as you didn't mind stinking of burnt oil and you were adept at changing pistons / rings on a regular basis.
Yamaha FZR600's, gutless, especially if compared to a Kwak ZZR600. (Mind you, the EXUP 1000's were bloody superb).

Good God man, wash your mouth out with soap!

It's character inducing. Folded arms

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:

It's illegal to hate the Jota. We have always been told it's a real man's bike, so what are you actually saying here? Laughing

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeG89 wrote:
"busa"

If we're talking about looks can the SRAD with it's ginormous ass get a mention

https://i.imgur.com/REMTWfX.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11