Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

General Election - who woud you vote for and why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: General Election - who woud you vote for and why? Reply with quote

The Mrs and I were talking about this last night. For the first time in my 30-odd years as a voter, I am struggling. I have always voted Labour in the Generals, Green (or whatever came closet) in the European and for whichever candidate made most sense on issues near me in the Locals.

As it stands, I couldn't bring myself to vote for Labour or Conservative. The Libs are a spent force and the Greens too small to be effective. UKIP has YL and Farage hasn't set up his new party yet. There simply isn't anybody to vote for come the next General Election.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:58 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farage.

Because reasons.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radical suggestion here... don't vote Wink Take your name off their token democratic we really just want to keep tabs on you list Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Farage.

Because Val hates him.

Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:04 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wub

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, for me vote either tory or labour, a change in leadership is required.. But who?

Tories: Jeremy Hunt, possibly Michael Gove. Alas both are possibly too poisened, Jeremy Hunt, from his time as health Secretary, and Gove from his stab in the back moments, but, then, perhaps that just makes him more of an honest politician, carrying that out in public !

Labour: Hilary Benn. Too eloquent for labour Sad

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:21 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be Labour, Jeremy and Dianne.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Labour got rid of the careerist who stands in my area, and replaced them with someone more in line with JC, it'd be Labour. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viktor Orban.

But someone else has already got him.... Crying or Very sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Viktor Orban.

Who?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:44 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbott as leader of the Labour party.

Boris as leader of the Tory party and as PM.

fite

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:46 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wont be a general election any time soon because it's a fixed term parliament. The only way there will be one is if 2/3 of parliament vote for one or they lose a confidence vote.

I'd vote for whoever I think is ACTUALLY going to take us out of Europe. I have voted for the conservatives three times now because they had a manifesto commitment to firstly have a referrendum, then to deliver the result of that referrendum. They still haven't delivered and I'm still not confident they are going to.

And I don't mean out in the same way Jeremy means it (as in saying out but delivering the same thing as in).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently 80% of people voted for parties that said they would deliver Brexit*... it's funny how I don't get that impression from recent goings-on in Parliament Thinking

*sky news fact, blame them if it's wrong

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Abbott as leader of the Labour party.
fite

Diane Abbot wrote:
I can't wait to get into 27 downing street

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.

Probably Conservatives as my MP is an ultra Brexiteer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:03 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have voted for the conservatives three times now because they had a manifesto commitment to firstly have a referrendum, then to deliver the result of that referrendum. They still haven't delivered and I'm still not confident they are going to

The Tories only ever promise the things that will get them a vote.

Everything they say they will do is bollocks. Usually they adopt a lite version of Labour policies afterwards, then continue promising whatever the tabloids dictate as most important to the masses.

"Uncontrolled, mass immigration displaces British workers, forces people onto benefits, and suppresses wages for the low-paid," said Theresa May in 2012, while overseeing the highest immigration numbers the UK has ever known.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-facts-about-immigration

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:13 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labour would get my vote.

Doesn't matter that Corbyn is the leader, identity politics is for idiots. The Labour manifesto is vastly better than anything the Tories have offered or attempted over the past 9 years. It has much better financial balance than the Tory offerings, too. I detest the "Labour just want to spend spend spend" accusation. Tory manifesto had far more finanicial holes in it during the last election, but was not scrutinised at all. Every idiot bindly believes that the Tories are the party of fiscal responsiblity, but it's just bollocks.

Brexit isn't a deciding factor either. Basing a vote entirely on Brexit is immensely short sighted. Voting for a party who a few months ago were condemned by the UN for dliberately creating greater inequality and poverty in the 5th largest economy on earth, just because they've dressed themselves up as the 'Brexit' party (and are utterly failing at it), is the perfect example of turkeys voting for christmas. Need to think about more issues than the Brexit elephant when it comes to national politics.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:45 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Brexit isn't a deciding factor either. Basing a vote entirely on Brexit is immensely short sighted.

How so?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote the A-Team.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hail from strong Labour constituencies. We always voted for them and for a long time they looked after our needs. It worked well for us.

After several decades of utter shite from both main sides (Blair really is unforgivable in my eyes) I'm very much torn up with my decision - it's something I'd been thinking of just in case an election was called.

Tory? No way. Thatcher tore my region to shreds. Fair enough in a way some things can't last forever but to leave us with (almost) nothing to replace it? No - it's as if they'd be happy if we died and stopped being a bother.
More recent shenanigans by the Tory party such as the killing of the disabled through benefits cuts/sanctions is a disgrace and has never been fully addressed. There's a huge list of things they're not being held accountable for.

Labour? Used to be and did at the last General election. We saw a messiah coming to the fore. His ideas, his plans worked fairly well for us and we went for it.
Not now for me. I've seen his Tomfuckery over the last few weeks. Wow. He's trying to please so many variables and it will not work. A desperate attempt to grab at power. He's an idiot. A clever idiot but still an idiot. I'm getting hints of Blair influence and even in Corbyn.

Greens? Nope. Fuck off. They want to take us back a thousand years and even then they'd ban fire.

Liberals? Who? Oh! The turncoats who thought they'd have a voice when they formed a human caterpillar with the Torys, except the Torys got the front of said caterpillar with the voice and then shit on the Liberals..

If Farage comes back to form a NEW party I'd vote for him. That'd be my number one choice.
If I had to vote for another party it'd be Labour - a 'hope' vote.

Unfortunately though I actually think I won't vote at all unless Farage comes back.
I suppose it's a protest vote but I'm also very aware that your vote is not secret - that pisses me off.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Viktor Orban.

Who?

https://g8fip1kplyr33r3krz5b97d1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/GettyImages-900823974-714x498.jpg

He's a political Ronnie Pickering. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:51 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Brexit isn't a deciding factor either. Basing a vote entirely on Brexit is immensely short sighted.

No it isn't. It's the single most important political decision of this century for the future of the UK.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

No it isn't. It's the single most important political decision of this century for the future of the UK.

Totally right. Everything else means very little until we know where we stand after the dust settles.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:54 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The largest number of closures by far, 93 pits, were closed under Harold Wilson in the 60s. The next highest closure period took place under Jim Callaghan in the 70s.

Mrs Thatcher didn't take office until 1979 when 22 pits closed during her tenure in the 80s. Labour's closures far exceeded those of Mrs Thatcher.

These statistics were printed in the Chronicle on January 27, 2005. The last pit in the North East to be closed, Ellington, was closed under Labour. The last North East shipyard to be closed, Swan Hunter, closed under Labour.

I can never forgive Labour for devastating the country.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just vote for the party with the Fittest Tottie now-a-days.
I've voted for the fittest candidates (IMO) before and look where we are now.
Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4