Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

General Election - who woud you vote for and why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
They seem to have forgotten they are elected to look after their constituents and put forward their wishes, not their own.

Haven't they always done that? Smile I think now they're just less subtle about it, maybe because they know there's no real alternative or threat in their eyes, or maybe because it's trendy to ignore the majority and listen to the shriekers.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
It's becoming ever clearer that the majority of politicians just aren't listening to the voters.

I hear Farage has registered a new party.....

This isn't necessarily a good thing for the pro-Brexit crowd. The vote will be split between UKIP and Nigel's new bunch so the chance of getting anybody elected is now smaller than it was. YL hates Farage, Farage hates the current UKIP leader, who's name escapes me. They are all hated by the dappy bint from the BNP and her meathead partner etc etc etc.....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Which is one of the reasons Brexit came about. (imo) Laughing

I agree, the same with Trumpet man, although they'd still rather ignore the growing disquiet and portray it as fascism.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Which is one of the reasons Brexit came about. (imo) Laughing

I agree, the same with Trumpet man, although they'd still rather ignore the growing disquiet and portray it as fascism.

I worry that if they continue to do this, fascism is exactly what they'll get.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, when moderates aren't listened to they become more radical, I think we've already seen that to a certain extent.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
I hear Farage has registered a new party.....

This isn't necessarily a good thing for the pro-Brexit crowd. The vote will be split between UKIP and Nigel's new bunch so the chance of getting anybody elected is now smaller than it was.

It doesn't really matter whether anyone's elected, or at least it doesn't matter in the short term unless we're prevented from leaving the EU.

I think that if Mr Farage (or anyone else) started a new "anti-EU" party (as long as it's moderate and inclusive, preferably single-issue), or even perhaps if there were an association of similar independent anti-EU candiidates, then if Brexit is prevented:

1) The UKIP would abruptly cease to be. Any decent members, staff or voters would immediately jump ship to the new party. The UKIP would be left with the people who're currently causing it so much grief.

2) The new party would attract large numbers of Leave voters from both Conservative and Labour.

That will, apart from "getting people elected", continue to upset the status quo.

The last time the status quo was threatened, there was a result!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I think Farage's new party won't just split the Tory vote. I think Momentum has aggressively taken Labour over
making it a party more aimed at pleasing SJWs rather than the common working man it's purported to represent.
If Farage nicks lots of votes from both sides then it might be quite the upset. I sincerely hope it happens. The reaction
from emotional haemophiliacs like the Trump "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo" woman would have me chortling for
the rest of the year. It could happen. I remember a similar discussion a while back about how Trump would never get in...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I think Momentum has aggressively taken Labour over
making it a party more aimed at pleasing SJWs rather than the common working man it's purported to represent.

This is why I'm genuinely confused about people saying Corbyn represents old Labour... were old Labour really like this? Confused

grr666 wrote:
If Farage nicks lots of votes from both sides then it might be quite the upset. I sincerely hope it happens. The reaction
from emotional haemophiliacs like the Trump "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo" woman would have me chortling for
the rest of the year. It could happen. I remember a similar discussion a while back about how Trump would never get in...

However he was running for a major political party. Maybe if we had a presidential style election, but as UKIP found out any votes will be too spread out to make a real difference, in terms of gaining power.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all god awful frankly
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish Liberal with a spot of Nationalism and a Green undertone; a wasted vote perhaps.

Corbyn, May and their possies of Westminster civil servants can eat my shit. They're supposed to be civil servants when in all honesty they are self servants having a power trip at the working class expense.

Too many working parents these days and still on UC it's a fucking joke. Zero hours contracts and a minimum wage which is actually a maximum wage for lots of folk.

I'm embarrassed and want to move to Norway (again). They've got some cracking biking roads over there. The scenery is fantastic and the girls are rather bonnie too.

'All hale king of the losers'.

Last edited by struan80 on 21:11 - 21 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:
I think Momentum has aggressively taken Labour over

This is why I'm genuinely confused about people saying Corbyn represents old Labour... were old Labour really like this? Confused

No, old Labour were only up to Corbyn's level of communism when Michael Foot became leader and he was another car crash politician.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I'm embarrassed and want to move to Norway (again). They've got some cracking biking roads over there. The scenary is fantastic and the girls are rather bonnie too.

Scandinavian women Wub Don't they have a ready supply of viking men though? Smile

You hear different things, some people say it's fantastic, but I've spoken to Norwegians who reckon it's a very expensive place to live. Too cold for this southern softy anyway...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
That is all interesting. Looks like many of you are in the same boat as me. It used to be that people voted the same way for decades without really thinking about it, but that has changed. This must be the one positive consequence of the Brexit shit-shower, in that the electorate is thinking again...

I think that the situation we have now is evidence that the British Electorate (voting class) have learned nothing.
Brexit clearly highlights how easily we can be duped by false opinion, skewed fact and smooth oratory.

Before I vote for something I like to do some research first even if it sounds good.

Sometimes'to good to be true' is just that.

Perhaps leaving eu will benefit the UK (the un-answerable question thick with contrasting predictions.) but fuck me if there is a more untidy, disorganised and ruinous way to go about it.
Especially when we actually had a political party who only exist to achieve independence.

Was the rest of the nation sleeping when the Tartan Tories of Scotland (SNP) made a bid to escape UK?
Scotland would be bankrupt now with no trade agreements in place with anyone (not to mention the mess Saudi Arabia has made of the oil industry.).

Unions are normally stronger than the individual.
And if 'managed properly the benefits can be shared.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Diggs wrote:
That is all interesting. Looks like many of you are in the same boat as me. It used to be that people voted the same way for decades without really thinking about it, but that has changed. This must be the one positive consequence of the Brexit shit-shower, in that the electorate is thinking again...

I think that the situation we have now is evidence that the British Electorate (voting class) have learned nothing.
Brexit clearly highlights how easily we can be duped by false opinion, skewed fact and smooth oratory.

Before I vote for something I like to do some research first even if it sounds good.

Sometimes'to good to be true' is just that.

Perhaps leaving eu will benefit the UK (the un-answerable question thick with contrasting predictions.) but fuck me if there is a more untidy, disorganised and ruinous way to go about it.
Especially when we actually had a political party who only exist to achieve independence.

Was the rest of the nation sleeping when the Tartan Tories of Scotland (SNP) made a bid to escape UK?
Scotland would be bankrupt now with no trade agreements in place with anyone (not to mention the mess Saudi Arabia has made of the oil industry.).

Unions are normally stronger than the individual.
And if 'managed properly the benefits can be shared

This is the problem with the EU, the commission is mostly what people are unhappy about, if it was solely a trading block, with the council of minsters solely in charge with no agenda of more Europe, most people would accept it.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
... the problem with the EU, the commission is mostly what people are unhappy about, if it was solely a trading block, with the council of minsters solely in charge with no agenda of more Europe, most people would accept it.

I think this is it, and coincidentally what Farage has always said he wants.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all elections there should be a box that says "None of the Candidates are worthy of my vote"
That way we can protest and yet still use our vote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Polar bear what the hell are MP's doing making any personal decisions. My area majority was Brexit but we have that stupid bitch Soubry insisting on remaining.

Elected MP's should carry out the wishes of the electorate regardless of personal preferences. Evil or Very Mad
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Skudd wrote:
With all elections there should be a box that says "None of the Candidates are worthy of my vote"
That way we can protest and yet still use our vote.

Use towards what though? If that option won, then what?

Well it couldn't "win" but it would provide evidence of dissatisfaction rather than voter apathy. It's easier to pass off low turnouts as bad weather/football on the telly than to assign it to the electorate not liking anyones policies

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
My area majority was Brexit but we have that stupid bitch Soubry insisting on remaining.

"Throughout the Referendum campaign, I stood by my manifesto commitment to respect and honour the result of the vote, and I have not gone back on this pledge. Even though I profoundly disagreed with the decision to leave the EU, I cannot go back on my commitment regardless of how strongly I feel. As such, I will be voting to enact Article 50 if Parliament is granted a vote on the matter. I also believe the majority of MPs and members of the House of Lords will do the same. Such a vote can only strengthen the Prime Minister’s mandate to invoke the article and improve our negotiating stance."

Have you been to talk to her about it? Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
toby1 wrote:
My area majority was Brexit but we have that stupid bitch Soubry insisting on remaining.

"Throughout the Referendum campaign, I stood by my manifesto commitment to respect and honour the result of the vote, and I have not gone back on this pledge. Even though I profoundly disagreed with the decision to leave the EU, I cannot go back on my commitment regardless of how strongly I feel. As such, I will be voting to enact Article 50 if Parliament is granted a vote on the matter. I also believe the majority of MPs and members of the House of Lords will do the same. Such a vote can only strengthen the Prime Minister’s mandate to invoke the article and improve our negotiating stance."

Have you been to talk to her about it? Smile

As lots of the scumbags SAID but look at them now.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As lots of the scumbags SAID but look at them now.

What, surely not! I have here "Dominic Grieve's Election Message to Constituents" (you could Google it...), I'm sure he hasn't changed his tune, has he?:

grieve wrote:
As someone who has always advocated a close relationship between the UK and the European Union, I accept the result of the 2016 Referendum. I therefore strongly support the Prime Minister’s determination to secure a negotiated arrangement for leaving the EU and for forging a new trading relationship for the future, providing certainty for trade and business whilst giving us control of migration and releasing us from the direct effect of EU Law. I also believe that the people of our country will benefit from a close continuing relationship with a strong EU and I will work to help build these important links for our future. I very much hope, therefore, that the Prime Minister will be able to achieve something close to the goals she set out in her speech at Lancaster House in February.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Sad I always feel i have to vote for someone though.
Tories have fcuked up Brexit.
Labour even worse. As I said in another thread, they're clearly trying to sly over to remain. I think they'd back it in another referendum.
Also JC "We won't negotiate until you take no-deal off the table".
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight OK.
So if I go to buy a car and say to the dealer "I want to negotiate a price, but first I have to say I CANNOT leave this garage without a deal."

Dealer = Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4