28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Tracer 700
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:35 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Which Adventure bike? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I’m new here so please go easy on me. I passed my Mod 2 yesterday and am super pleased to now have an A license! Also super pleased I passed both modules first time Very Happy

So now I’m trying to figure out which bike to get. I’ve narrowed it down to Kawasaki Versys 650, Suzuki V-Strom 650, and Yamaha Tracer 700. Would love to hear people’s thoughts and feedbacks on these bikes.

Some info on me and my needs: I’m 5’7” and wear heeled boots so I don’t necessarily need a “lowered” bike; I intend to commute to work 3 days a week at around 70 miles/day including A roads and motorway; I also want to go touring with my husband once he completes his DAS (yup, I got HIM into biking, not the other way around Wink ).

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you carrying a pillion at all? If so Versys can get a little light at the front. Other than that it handles well and feels livelier than the vstrom.

The vstrom is larger and the better load hauler. If two up is a plan this is the one to choose. It's also better on fuel than the Versys. The vstrom is smooth and easy, almost like a big scooter. A great all rounder but some find the power delivery a bit boring. I'm not one of them, I like the bike.

Tracer I've never ridden, possibly the most entertaining if it's anything at all like the 900 (which I've ridden and loved, apart from the suspension)

Sit on them and see what fits as the ergos do differ. I'm comfortable riding them all at 5'8 but inseam makes the bigger difference.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you might be a bit short for a Versys tbh. Why not the Z650. Its a bit lower slung but same engine.

This is a helpful tool.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:31 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Are you carrying a pillion at all? If so Versys can get a little light at the front. Other than that it handles well and feels livelier than the vstrom.

The vstrom is larger and the better load hauler. If two up is a plan this is the one to choose. It's also better on fuel than the Versys. The vstrom is smooth and easy, almost like a big scooter. A great all rounder but some find the power delivery a bit boring. I'm not one of them, I like the bike.

Tracer I've never ridden, possibly the most entertaining if it's anything at all like the 900 (which I've ridden and loved, apart from the suspension)

Sit on them and see what fits as the ergos do differ. I'm comfortable riding them all at 5'8 but inseam makes the bigger difference.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t plan on carrying a pillion so that’s not a concern for me.
Is the V-Strom anything like the SV650? Because that’s what I passed my mod 2 on.

I should mention I did sit on the tracer and Versys today and immediately felt more comfortable on the Versys but then again sitting really isn’t the same as ridding!

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:36 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Think you might be a bit short for a Versys tbh. Why not the Z650. Its a bit lower slung but same engine.

This is a helpful tool.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Cheers for the website, I’ll make sure to check it out.

I did sit on the Versys today and found it alright, although I was not fully flat footed which I am a little concerned about in terms of balance, as a newbie. I was hoping that with a full tank and the suspension wearing it would lower a little. Oh and I can also buy the lowered seat. But maybe I’m just trying to convince myself because I really liked it?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if you're someone who likes to a flat-foot, I've tip-toed on a few bikes and been fine, although you do have to be careful with road camber etc.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vstrom has a totally different riding position to an SV. The older vstrom used the old SV engine, the later one used a gladius engine. I don't know what the new SV uses but I expect it'll be very similar. The Strom is a lot taller, and steering will be different. Both are easy bikes to ride. I prefer the vstrom personally.

You don't need to be able to flat foot. As long as you can get the ball of your left foot down you should be fine with some practice. Flat foot is nice for confidence but IMO not necessary.

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:31 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M.C and KGM. It sounds like the height might be ok with some practice. I’ll probably get some crash bars installed to avoid damaging the fairing if I accidentally lose my balance and drop the bike Embarassed

Anyway, as my inseam is 800mm (31.5”) I’m always going to struggle to be flat-footed on an adventure bike unless I opt for BMW F800GT which I do love, but is more expensive to purchase and insure Thumbs Down

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
You don't need to be able to flat foot. As long as you can get the ball of your left foot down you should be fine with some practice. Flat foot is nice for confidence but IMO not necessary.

Just my opinion here, but if you're gonna tippy toe I like to be able to get both tippy toes down at the same time.

Kayla_Silver wrote:
Anyway, as my inseam is 800mm (31.5”) I’m always going to struggle to be flat-footed on an adventure bike unless I opt for BMW F800GT which I do love, but is more expensive to purchase and insure Thumbs Down

You're doing better than me, I'm taller but with a 30" inside leg (midget legs Crying or Very sad). I think you'll be alright, my first bike had a 32.5" seat height and I only nearly dropped it once due to the height, when stopping in a dip coming out of someones drive (I learnt not to do that Smile).

Also note seat width plays a factor as well as overall seat height, so it's best to try sitting on the bike rather than going purely on specs.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think different people are comfortable with different things. I'm pretty comfortable on bikes I can barely touch the ground, provided they're not too top heavy. Tiger 1050 was too ropey with a pillion for example. Having said that, I'd rather be able to get more foot down and the height was the reason I bought an er6 instead of a Versys back when i passed my test as I wasn't as experienced/confident. Always regretted that though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I'm pretty comfortable on bikes I can barely touch the ground, provided they're not too top heavy.

I was going to mention that, even being able to flat foot on a top heavy bike doesn't fill me with anymore confidence, when tippy toes on a 190kg machine I was fine with.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs K is 5'4" and has no problem with an 840mm seat on a tiger 800. 29 inside leg. When i fancied versys or v strom she sat on both and was happy to use it if I got one. Tracer 700 wasn't quite as comfy, but wasn't too tall.

Any of the 'tall tourers' with the smaller engines (inc 700gs) are using established engines, post 16 sv650 engine is different to gladius lump.

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Hubby and I managed to find a dealership that had Yam, Kawa and Suzuki all under one roof so I sat on each for quite a while, moving back and forth to test. I concluded that to my great chagrin I had to rule the Tracer out because I don’t like where the foot pegs are when I’m standing. They dig right into my lower calf and it’s uncomfortable whilst also making it harder for me to put my feet down. Real shame because I love the new phantom blue and the dash is (IMO) better on the Yam than the other two. I’m not a huge fan of the analog rev counters.

Between the Versys and V-Strom it was pretty similar and the position is nice and comfortable. I’ve decided to test ride them both to get a true comparison but I am leaning more towards the Versys purely for aesthetic reasons.

Quote:
I bought an er6 instead of a Versys back when i passed my test as I wasn’t as experienced/confident. Always regretted that though.

You regretted not getting the Versys?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayla_Silver wrote:

You regretted not getting the Versys?

I did. In retrospect it would have suited me better than the er6. For my commuting the er6 was probably the best choice but the versys would have been better two up, would have carried loads easier and for pleasure runs on the bike more comfortable (tend do 150-300 miles on a day off). It would probably have been better for me handling wise - I'm totally sold on the adventure style riding position with big wide bars as it works well on the tight twisty roads I like to ride. The er6 was able but not very stable at higher speeds on rough roads with the stock suspension. The versys is better in that regard.

Retrospectively I'd have gone for the vstrom simply because it's so good two up with a load. I now have a crossrunner which is probably the best for me out of the lot since I never ride off road. It's a bit odd looking but it rides well and makes for a great all rounder without being too tall.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the Tiger 800 to your list. The engine is a peach and it's a lovely ride. My wife could handle it better than her 650 watercooled Bandit (very heavy).

I was torn between the 800 and 1200 when went for an Adventure bike. I plumped for the 1200 purely because it was SS swing arm and shaft drive.

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 05:13 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed a couple of years ago and the Versys was my first bike and still my bike.

I am 5ft9 30in leg and yes it is a bit unwieldy at first. But I think it probably helped me learning when I passed in that I had to concentrate a bit more and not rely on putting a foot down if things when wrong which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Like another poster who said he wish he's gone for it first - I did and it was probably the best choice I made which is unusual for me. I didn't want a run of the mill sv650/er6 when I had passed.

Only problem I have found with the 650 is that when you get used to the power its a bit lacking higher up but it is a minor complaint. The other thing is the ride height puts you above traffic which is great.

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:06 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had my test rides on Saturday... I say test rides loosely because I could only get the VStrom up to 30mph (Central London!) and the Versys, I struggled to get out on the road! Interesting how that little bit of extra height has made it so intimidating.

I found the DL really smooth and felt very comfortable on it. But I still don’t love the looks of it though it is growing on me. I’ve been a little put off by the Versys because of the fact that I basically dropped it at the first stop, and I’ve only ever dropped a bike like that once in my training. The fact that I couldn’t get my leg under it properly was a slight issue because I could have at least lowered it slowly if I could.

The dealership have offered to lower it for me, which is great, but as a mod it affects insurance so I’m a bit torn. I prefer the Versys looks but the DL was such a nice ride...

Oh and a little twist, I’m kind of in love with the BMW F800GT! Had a look at it on Sunday and it’s the perfect height, easy maintenance belt drive, and the stylings remind me of the VFR800 which was actually the first bike I wanted but ruled out due to costs. I’ve found an F800GT second hand which saves me a bunch and I’m kind of tempted to get it because I know that when I come out of my house, that’s the bike I’d most want to jump on. That being said, I have no idea how it rides because I haven’t test ridden it.

Can anyone weigh in on this? Is it better to go for the sensible choice, or should you follow your gut?
Someone once told me that if you buy a bike you love, you can usually overlook some of the “issues” because it excites you, but if you buy a bike that is a sensible choice, you’ll get bored. Do you agree?
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kayla_Silver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:57 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

I've just checked the F800GT though and it's not the case on this bike and I don't think it's considered an adventure bike anyway, more of a tourer, are you sure you didn't mean the F800GS?

I do mean the GT and I’m aware it’s a sports tourer and not an adventure bike, hence my comment about it being a twist. Although it isn’t a boxer engine, the fuel tank is under the seat which is supposed to help with keeping the weight lower down. What attracts me about this bike, among other things, is also the lower (albeit more expensive) maintenance of the belt drive.

I agree with your comment about adventure bikes giving you better road presence, hence why I’ve been looking at them. But as I mentioned, I have always preferred the sportier look but wasn’t sure it would work for me having sat on a VFR800. In any case, you are absolutely right, the Versys and VStrom are almost identical bikes apart from the Versys being a parallel twin whilst the DL is a Vtwin. I guess between those two it is more about looks.

The hardest thing for me to shake is how in love I am with the GTs looks, which is probably strange for some as I’ve heard lots of people say it looks dated.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Coming from someone who has mild Aspergers

Mild? Smile

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You utter fucking spastic are you autisic? You fucking piece of shit piss troll motherfucker.

Thread might be long gone but the legacy lives on... Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3