Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bright ideas welcome, awkward car fix needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Bright ideas welcome, awkward car fix needed Reply with quote

My Missus' car has had a broken heater for quite a while now. I quickly diagnosed it as a mechanical break between the heater box blend flap and the motor that controls it. The fix is to rip the car apart and repair/replace the heater box, it is the first thing that goes in the car when the car is built. To get the box out, you need to drain the AC, take all the dash and the doors off. People that have done it say it takes days of work. I don't have the time, energy, or skill to do it. Obviously this is too much work to pay a garage to do. Reportedly Fiat have charged £2-3k to fix this issue.

Ben (Binge off of here) came round to service it for her and I asked him to have a look. He poked about and found that you can actually access the broken point (just about!) from the drivers footwell.

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196778&d=1547995084

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196779&d=1547995102

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196780&d=1547995121

The peg in my hand, connects to the control motor. I need away to recreate that peg solidly enough so that the motor will turn it. Access is shit. That metal bar is about 2" away from the pivot and I'm not sure if I can remove it without ripping the car apart.

Just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas. I have a few but nothing I'm that keen on.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugru?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy wifey a new jumper.
Job jobbed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm that is hard plastic not metal of any form?

How tight is the heater flap to move?

It would be a faff but I would make a longer piece like the broken off bit out of metal or a piece of solid plastic. Drill and needle file the flap piece so a hole that fitted then aradite the new piece in.

Put it this way, if that was my wifies car, she would be demanding a fix or nicking mine in this weather. Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1mm pin drill, sink a couple of shallow holes in the part that's still attached, that lines up with holes in the stump that came off. Cut a couple of panel pins down to a suitable length, and use them as dowels in the aforementioned holes, shored up with epoxy.

If you're feeling lucky and there's room, try for 3 or 4 dowels.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Bright ideas welcome, awkward car fix needed Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
My Missus' car has had a broken heater for quite a while now. I quickly diagnosed it as a mechanical break between the heater box blend flap and the motor that controls it.

Despite your pictures I'm still not clear about what's happened. Has that black plastic part simply snapped off, but the thing it's come off is "difficult" to get at to replace?

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

I've used it before it's great but no chance it will do this, nothing to grip on.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Buy wifey a new jumper.
Job jobbed.

It broke April last year, she's done pretty well.

I bought her one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samxu-Defroster-Automobile-Electronic-Windscreen/dp/B07K76R1CC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548078963&sr=8-5&keywords=car+heater

But it's like an asthmatic breathing on you.

Polarbear wrote:
Just to confirm that is hard plastic not metal of any form?

How tight is the heater flap to move?

It would be a faff but I would make a longer piece like the broken off bit out of metal or a piece of solid plastic. Drill and needle file the flap piece so a hole that fitted then aradite the new piece in.

Put it this way, if that was my wifies car, she would be demanding a fix or nicking mine in this weather. Laughing

It's all plastic, a metal x section length would work but would need to be like 8mm any idea where to find something like that? I'm nervous about using any kind of glue incase it jams the flap

The other thing is there isn't much material the other side of the flap.

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=177378&d=1487183409

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=177379&d=1487183409

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
1mm pin drill, sink a couple of shallow holes in the part that's still attached, that lines up with holes in the stump that came off. Cut a couple of panel pins down to a suitable length, and use them as dowels in the aforementioned holes, shored up with epoxy.

If you're feeling lucky and there's room, try for 3 or 4 dowels.

This was my top idea, except I was going to heat the pints to make the holes, again the concern of gluing the box where it moves bothered me.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big old lump of plastic flap for a small piece of plastic square to turn.

I take it that's someone's repaired version you have the pictures of?

Edited to add.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/271907570020?chn=ps&var=570743445406

£2.79 for a piece of mild steel 8mm x 8mm x 100mm long.

or

£4.75 for a similar sized piece of aluminium.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:00 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
That's a big old lump of plastic flap for a small piece of plastic square to turn.

Edited to add.....

or

Any tips how to cut it to shape?

That's someone who ripped the car apart, and it is obviously fucking awful design. Useless italian bastards, should stick to pizza.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Edited to add.....

or

Any tips how to cut it to shape?

That's someone who ripped the car apart, and it is obviously fucking awful design. Useless italian bastards, should stick to pizza.

I would quite happily hacksaw and file that. It doesn't have to be ulta accurate or anything. Obviously you need files, hacksaw and an engineers vice to hold it though.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I'm nervous about using any kind of glue incase it jams the flap

Can you "mask off" anything that might get "glue" on it?

Going back to some while ago, if it's ABS (should be written on it), you can solvent-weld it with MEK and a suitable ABS filler (shavings of ABS). It is very, very good stuff. I would not use any dissimilar type glue.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire. Rag in tank.
Phone. Ins. brkr report stolen.
Fixed. Buy another none Fiat

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Fire. Rag in tank.

Nope, we couldn't possibly get rid of 'Daphne' Rolling Eyes

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

It took us having just the one car to finally persuade the Mrs to get rid of "Daisy", our bright yellow 500.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
MCN wrote:
Fire. Rag in tank.

Snot even Italian sounding name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dafne#/media/File:Daphne_chased_by_Apollo.jpg

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great success melting pieces of wire into plastics to make them structurally sound again.

Maybe it would work in this situation?

ಠ_ಠ

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think heating plastic is like heating metal.
It was cooked at a precise temperature to get where it is now.
Heating again to reform is a bit of a stab in the dark and you have no idea what properties will be altered in the process.
It maybe it could become very brittle or the compounds can become dissociated.

But sometimes it works. Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:55 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that removing the heater box is a pain in the arse. What about cutting out the side of the heater box you can see, withdrawing the flap through the hole, then doing a fix and gluing the side of the box back on?

Epoxy will be strong enough for gluing the heater box back together, and you'll be able to do a proper repair on the flap spindle.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:17 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest using The square tang off a file, but using some square bar from ebay would be even better.
Right , look at the job decide how you going to do it and then . File or grind the end of the bar into a gentle Tapering point. Put a 90^ bend in the bar so there is about 1" at the tapered end . Heat the end up to nearly red hot and poke it into the exposedbroken off plastic boss, so it melts itself into the boss.. Rig up a choke cable to operate on the bent end of the arm. There you are a manually operated flap.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that circular disc at the base of the bit that's snapped off is the pivot for the flap? It's outside edge is a 'bearing' so to speak?

I would re-make that broken part in aluminium with a fork at the base, drill a couple of holes into the round disc either side of the flap and glue it in with Araldite 2013.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
File or grind the end of the bar into a gentle Tapering point. Put a 90^ bend in the bar so there is about 1" at the tapered end . Heat the end up to nearly red hot and poke it into the exposedbroken off plastic boss, so it melts itself into the boss.

It's a fair chunk of metal. I'd worry about the heat in the metal completely reducing the plastic to molten goo.

Looking at the plastic, it could be polypropylene, but if it's ABS, another possibility, then "ABS shavings mixed into MEK to make solvent cement" makes a join which is tough as hell, and the same plastic all through, once the solvent's evaporated.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:20 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
So that circular disc at the base of the bit that's snapped off is the pivot for the flap? It's outside edge is a 'bearing' so to speak?

I would re-make that broken part in aluminium with a fork at the base, drill a couple of holes into the round disc either side of the flap and glue it in with Araldite 2013.

I thought that it was the pivot initially then realised it wasn't.

This is the controller motor.

https://cdn2.carbuyer.co.uk/sites/carbuyer_d7/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/watchdog-panda-heater-2_0.jpg?itok=Ity9H5IM

I'm assuming it actually pivots on the collar on the white piece. I'm now wondering if I can fix the white piece to the box. then attach the motor part in situe.

One of the mounts on this was broke which I found really odd. She has had the car from new, and as far as we know none has touched the heating system at all. Ben was the first person to take the motor of since factory I'm fairly sure he didn't rip it off, it would need a fair amount of force to break it. But if it would have broken because it. jammed it would have damaged 2 mounts surely.

I've ordered some alu bar and a burr set for my Dremel. I'll see what I can do.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:26 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Snot even Italian sounding name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dafne#/media/File:Daphne_chased_by_Apollo.jpg

It's named after the car in her favourite film as a kid. Freddie as F.R.0.7. It is a god awful animated film with Ben Kingsley and Brian Blessed, I think it actually holds the record for being the least successfully animated film of all time.

There is also a musical number in it with roller skating SS officers and KKK members. Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:29 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I understand that removing the heater box is a pain in the arse. What about cutting out the side of the heater box you can see, withdrawing the flap through the hole, then doing a fix and gluing the side of the box back on?

Epoxy will be strong enough for gluing the heater box back together, and you'll be able to do a proper repair on the flap spindle.

Interesting idea, I like that outside the (heater) box thinking. Thumbs Up I'll certainly consider it next time my head is under there, to see if there is room.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:47 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken to these chaps who do an in place repair?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2