BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Get a job!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Get a job! Reply with quote

YouTube snowflakes running out of ideas for what to say. It's a mental health problem, apparently.

Quote:
For every supportive comment welcoming a (YouTube) creator back after time off, there are the ones who call them out for having "first-world problems" and can't find the sympathy for people living an enviable life like a YouTuber. But this just perpetuates the cycle of them never feeling entitled to time off. The more creators feel they have to relentlessly work, the more likely they are to burn out and vanish from YouTube.

https://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-burnout-alishamarie-pewdiepie-casey-neistat-describe-pressures-of-the-industry-2019-1?r=US&IR=T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:46 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Get a job! Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
YouTube snowflakes running out of ideas for what to say. It's a mental health problem, apparently.

Sadly I think you've yet to grasp the gravity of the problem.

Take LGR for example. He does game reviews of old PC games, and he reviews old weird hardware (oddware) and so on. He does two vids a week, and works ten hours a day 7 days a week. He said in the summer he was going to take a week off, and a bunch of people threw some very nasty comments at him despite his massive effort, and him providing what amounts to free content. These people do it for the love of it, and barely scrape a living and yet their audience is often ungrateful and pedantically critical.

I totally see the problem when the effort that goes into each video is at that level. When you just do talking head videos about how bad your orange mocha latte was this morning it's hard to feel any sympathy, but for people such as LGR, Kim Justice, Techmoan, Regular Car reviews etc etc it's a hard task. Their audience demand they spend full time hours on it, and yet get bent out of shape if they stop providing content. It's quite sad in a lot of ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when these cunts burn out.
I wish the Click-Bait bastirts would suddenly suffer the same fate.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Their audience demand they spend full time hours on it, and yet get bent out of shape if they stop providing content. It's quite sad in a lot of ways.

Don't they have lives? Confused

You can tell the good stuff and how much effort they put into their videos, there's a gaming guy who even creates original music for his vids.

Some of the youtubers like thunderfoot who beg for money, I can see why 'patreons' might feel entitled to demand content.

MCN wrote:
I wish the Click-Bait bastirts would suddenly suffer the same fate.

How does that work with youtube? They always seem to be using other peoples content.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how that sort of burn-out would be "a thing".

Many of them "do" see it as a job, providing media content is a real requirement and there is some sort of money to be made out of it. Problem is, in the same way as you have a job, you have to set hours and limits for yourself.

But it is very addictive.
You look at the stats, you see them going up, you think "Crikey, people are listening/looking at what I post" - so you get to checking the stats several times a day/week and you give yourself pressure to improve them, or at least to increase them. You get a bit of interaction from people, it flows a bit, and you think "Oh, its going to be alright."

But, a bit like the brooms in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, with the viral thing, they get this HUGE response and suddenly they are not really equipped to cope with it. A constant online media presence, or even just the semblance of one, must be hell to keep up. 24 hours a day, some cunt somewhere in the world might be wanting you to be performing like a trained seal. And if you don't, they'll go away and look at some other cunt performing like one, instead.

I can imagine just how much of a treadmill that could really get to be.
Sad

I'm sure there must be a Black Mirror episode about it Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
He does game reviews of old PC games... and he does two vids a week, and works ten hours a day 7 days a week

When you say, "works," you mean he's a full-time gamer and Youtuber. Ok, maybe that's a service people want, and he's not bitching about it. Why would he?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:38 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

When you say, "works," you mean he's a full-time gamer and Youtuber. Ok, maybe that's a service people want, and he's not bitching about it. Why would he?

It's ruined gaming for fun for him. He spends all his time gaming just purely to get footage for reviews. He never games for fun any more, and yes, he spends all his time making videos. He lives on his own in a house in a small town in America. Has no family or friends nearby, and literally does nothing except things he needs to do to release videos. I'm not surprised it's affecting his mental health to be honest. Now he's quit his full time profession, he basically doesn't have a choice but to do it and carry on. Imagine going for an interview and telling them you've been a professional youtuber for the last 5 years?

Youtube also randomly de-monetise content, cut down the royalties paid (something like 1cent per 1000 watches or something) and block content for non existent copyright strikes. When that's your only source of income, it's a pretty serious deal and he's had to spend a lot of money on legal representation on a number of times. The worst part is the copyright claims aren't even by the real copyright owner in so many cases.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the problem with YouTube though? It used to be random shit people put-up for a laugh, then when advertising came in it became a business.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Isn't that the problem with YouTube though? It used to be random shit people put-up for a laugh, then when advertising came in it became a business.

I took all my videos off and closed my account, once they moved the goalposts so that little channels like mine would no longer be able to earn money. I didn't earn much about £100 a year, my "best videos" didn't even have 500,000 hits. I spent the money on cameras that I smashed doing what I do.

Then they made it that I needed like a thousand subscribers and twice as many hits as I was getting to qualify. I had about 500 subscribers, and I wasn't prepared to do anything at all to get subscribers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay
Google
Youtube
BCF
4chan

Faceless Cesspits of Bureaucracy.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:56 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Yes but Youtube handled it badly. They should have settled on a sustainable model quickly instead of offering mad dorrah for small channels, and then taking it away again.

The quality of content on Youtube has gone up over the last 5 years, but it does also mean that kids leaving school want to be professional youtubers rather than firemen or train drivers now.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Worst is when youtube changed it so 10 minutes became the threshold for which videos had to pass to get better advertising revenue.

It's why most youtube vids are 10 minutes long and filled with arbitrary shit to bulk out the content.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube was bought out and as we all know, when a business is taken over the goal posts are moved.

I became quite famous doing what's known as Urbex. Mine was based more on rural stuff and underground but still - I became a name.
My work started being shown on Reddit too - it was weird because my internet world grew fast. Rapidly in fact. Yes it was cool at first but I soon realised several things: I'd have to up my pace to stay 'current' with my internet world, I'd also need to keep finding and showing new content just to keep this 'world' going.
There was also the temptation to go quite nuts and do some incredibly stupid stuff - look on YouTube for 'Ally Law' and how they did stupid funny and began literally whoring themselves for likes and to sell merchandise.

I got sick of it and literally did an overnight vanishing act. I removed a heap of content from servers and various sites - it resulted in one exploration forum almost dying.
I still do the exploration, research and posting of things but like to lie low now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The quality of content on Youtube has gone up over the last 5 years

I'd say the opposite, people create content for the sake of creating content now, and the amount of staged stuff and click bait has gone up massively.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

95% of the content is drivel, aimed at an audience comprised 95% of dribbling imbeciles.

But there's munez in it. How do you think shite like eastenders has been on the TV for decades?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit like professional sport.
For the majority unknown, unwashed masses it's a tough living.
But if you get to that 0.01% at the top - ka ching!! Dance!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
95% of the content is drivel, aimed at an audience comprised 95% of dribbling imbeciles.

But there's munez in it. How do you think shite like eastenders has been on the TV for decades?

But Enders is entertainment init.

(I have hated the shite since it premiered all those years ago.)

It almost makes me not like cnuts from Lahndahn.... Smile

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah plenty of people make a living out of playing football, nothing more than a living, and then when it's over it is over.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

But Enders is entertainment init.

(I have hated the shite since it premiered all those years ago.)

It almost makes me not like cnuts from Lahndahn.... Smile

I feel the same way about Corrie Razz I'm a little ashamed to say I did watch it for a bit years and years ago Sad It was actually funny at one point; Jim says he's gonna get a smile out of the shop keeper, makes a whimper sound off camera, then walks past rubbing his face Very Happy

Then it got very Jeremy Kyle and I stopped watching. It's funny how you can not watch it for a decade and still know who the characters are Thinking

thx1138 wrote:
yeah plenty of people make a living out of playing football, nothing more than a living, and then when it's over it is over.

I guess, there's a local musician who was bragging about earning 500k from music, but the years he'd been at it that was 30k a year. Still better than a shit job but I guess at some point you have to get a shit job and start from scratch basically.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see anything entertaining about Corrie or Enders never have.

But I did used to watch Neighbours for years (though maybe that was for some other reason) Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:11 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
How do you think shite like eastenders has been on the TV for decades?

Because TV licenses. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Can't see anything entertaining about Corrie or Enders never have.

But I did used to watch Neighbours for years (though maybe that was for some other reason) Laughing

Holly or Kylie? Reveal your age Smile

Oh man if we're talking about stuff I watched for totty then Hollyoaks Embarassed

In my defence they went through a phase where the women were ridiculously hot, definitely all hired for their acting skills...

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly Valance Cool

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Eastenders was a fly on the wall documentary. I know the BBC News is all fake, but Eastenders too, now that is stretching the conspiracy theory too far.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I always thought Eastenders was a fly on the wall documentary. I know the BBC News is all fake, but Eastenders too, now that is stretching the conspiracy theory too far.

ISWYDT.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2