Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scooter wobbling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Scooter wobbling Reply with quote

Hi guys
I have a lexmoto velencia, I took out today, I was driving down the carredgeway, doing about 45...50. The scooter had what I can only descibe as a wobble, like if the stabilisers were defective. There was light wind, I expect some wobble due the the steering being light, so I'm wondering is this a design of the scooter or what. I've gone right of the bike now.

Any ideas
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be many things, wheel bearings, but, first of all, check your tyre pressures

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre pressure ok, wheel bearing seem ok but will double check. What I experienced was worse then those things, if I got into a lorry slipstream I fear I may have come off it.
That is what is concerning me now, the wobble was kind of like the whole wheel was loose, it's a 15 plate so I doubt it's that bug will check it al, out at the weekend, it seemed very unstable, not sure if they are all like that.

Thanks
Chaza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Scooter wobbling Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
The scooter had what I can only descibe as a wobble, like if the stabilisers were defective

What on earth are "the stabilisers"?

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have stabilisers, that was just an example to describe the wobbling

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
It doesn't have stabilisers, that was just an example to describe the wobbling

Ah, OK. Are the engine assembly attachment bolts and rubber bushes OK? You'll have to poke about underneath near where the stand bolts on, under the cylinder's air cowling. Is the rear axle nut secure? Are your tyres inflated and are the fork linkages OK?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tire weights have been knocked off the front wheel.

It will be apparent at certain speeds.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a wobble like you get when wheels need a balance, the best way I can describe it is , you to a caravan, then it starts to snake, a bit like that,

Thanks

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre tread??

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:03 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find it, it should be obvious.

Something is loose or worn out, meaning something that is meant to move a bit in one direction is moving a lot in several directions. Things to check:

1. Are both wheels tightly bolted on.
2. Swingarm spindle, is it loose.
3. Headstock. Could be loose, could have worn headstock bearings. To check the bearings, get the front wheel in the air (car jack under the front right hand corner of the bike) and gently move the handlebars side to side. If you feel a bit of a notchiness or roughness as the bars move past the straight-ahead point, you need new headstock bearings.
4. Tyres - either low pressure, or just worn out.
5. Wheel bearing failure, although this would be unlikely for a fairly new bike. Wheel bearings one of the few things that I haven't seen fail.

It is a small wheel scooter and so less stable at speed, but I wouldn't expect a weave at 50.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did up a YiYing Tommy for one of me lads
Same bike ( Znen) rebadged
It should ride nicely enough for what it is

Do the checks described above, I expect summats come loose
or broken, its such a simple machine it shouldn;t take long to see what/if anything's wobbly
What tyre pressures are you running? just saying OK is vague

Does it still wobble when you unhitch the caravan?......

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input, I'll do the checks you mentioned. As you say it's a simple machine.

Thanks
Appriciated
Chaza

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with all things like this, it will be the last thing you check, so statistically you should read this thread backwards and start there.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known scooters to develop a kind of weave when they're heavily loaded on the back, e.g. a bunch of stuff in a topbox. A weave at speed that doesn't readily dampen down on its own, it oscillates for some time.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:47 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
Tyre pressure ok, wheel bearing seem ok but will double check. What I experienced was worse then those things, if I got into a lorry slipstream I fear I may have come off it.
That is what is concerning me now, the wobble was kind of like the whole wheel was loose, it's a 15 plate so I doubt it's that bug will check it al, out at the weekend, it seemed very unstable, not sure if they are all like that.

Thanks
Chaza

Did it wobble when not behind a lorry/bus/van?

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Well, I have checked all that was suggested as the reason for my suspected issue. All seems to be tight and as it should be. Went for a ride, and I can only conclude it's a shirty characteristic of the bike.
We all know if you sharply turn the handlebars to miss a pot hole for example, you will get a wobble, but mine seems exaggerated.
The head stock was fine no movement at all, the bushes on the sub frame , no movement, so maybe it's just me, but I don't like it.

Thanks guys
Chaza
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
I hear what your saying, the headstock is solid, no movement, like said, I found no problems that would tell me, ah it's this or that. It's just this, what I can only conclude is the characteristics of the bike.
The mot is due may I think.
The bike rides ok, but as you ride it, if you wobble thd handlebars, you would expect the correction to be instant, it just appears to wobble strangely.
I don't know how else to descibe what I experience.

Thanks
Chaza

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaza wrote:
The mot is due may I think.

You could go for an MOT rather early, and tell them you think it wobbles....

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the scooter have a top box?

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Yes it does have a top box, are you suggesting that could be the cause of the wobble as it described it.
It would kind of make sense, a bit like having extra weight on the luggage rack.
Chaza
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an answer mpd. ....

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

if topbox fitted then try without see if it persists if not get some bar end weights fitted

also check tyres even if they look ok they could be slightly worn causing this

vespas have a wobble that has never been cured and as this scooter is a similar shape it may have the same fault

changing tyres cured it for a short while

chaza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers andy understood. What are bar end weights

Chaza
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2