Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Condensation in visor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock
Rainx
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

Thanks but pardon my ignorance... The Pinlock. Is that an insert that you add in, or does it completely replace the visor? I bought a Caberg Duke 2 and one of the main reasons for buying this helmet was that it was advertised with the following:

"Pinned Insert Included, Pinlock Included, Fog Free, Integral Sun Visor"

Have I missed something or am I doing something wrong?

Rainx soon-to-be on order though, thank you for the top tip!

Pinlock is an insert; if it's fitted, your visor will appear to be "double glazed" through the main vision area and the insert is visible on the inside.

I have a pinlock in mine but in my experience, if it's humid and rainy and you spend any length of time on the bike, it'll start to move towards steaming up eventually . . . I believe (might be wrong on this) that the pinlock system actually absorbs the moisture and has a finite capacity, so once it's saturated it could then potentially steam up. It then requires a drying out time to regain full effectiveness.

Me - I find that cracking the visor halfway at traffic lights then shutting it once on the move generally keeps it clear for rainy journeys under an hour (if stationary with it shut it steams up too easily without the airflow from the vents).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't come out of the box pre installed, you have to do it.
If you didn't do this, you haven't got one fitted.

I'd also add, invest in some microfibre cloths if you don't already have some. Visors for some lids are mega bucks
to replace. The visor on my Shark Speed-R would be around £80 and about another £30 ish for a new insert. So
using quality cleaning cloths will prolong your visors life.

Last edited by grr666 on 09:47 - 22 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that wasn't a leaflet. Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask the shop where you bought it why you didn't get one....its quite an obvious thing in the box.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I believe (might be wrong on this) that the pinlock system actually absorbs the moisture and has a finite capacity, so once it's saturated it could then potentially steam up.

Um, yes I really do think you could be wrong on that Wink
Pinlock works like double glazing in your house windows; by having two layers, with an airgap in between, it reduces the temperature gradient from the outside face of your visor to the inside. Therefore, the inner face of the pinlock stays relatively warm, so there's less chance of your moist breath condensing and fogging it up.[/quote]

Travis Bickle wrote:
I've got a bulk load of those silicone gel balls in paper packets for keeping package contents dry. Goes back to when I used to sell electrical appliances on eBay. Could maybe stuff a load of those on the inside of the padded lining LOL

Don't know if that's serious or not (you really never know on this forum!) but just in case - no, don't do that. Apart from potentially compromising your helmet's crash protection there's not the slightest chance it could help with your visor fogging up...
Travis Bickle wrote:
you can see a nobble on each side of the visor where one could possibly attach.

Yes that shows it's "pinlock compatible" rather than "pinlock fitted". My most recent lid came with the pinlock sandwiched between two layers of thin card, along with a load of other leaflets etc, if you'd had no interest in any of said paperwork and weren't aware of the separate pinlock I can imagine you might have binned it by mistake?

Other tips? Someone on here once recommended fitting a cable tie around the chin bar of the helmet to prevent the visor from completely closing, facilitating a bit of ventilation? Also, can you deliberately direct your breath downwards with your lips, rather than simply exhaling forwards?

(PS I'm still irritated by the fact that when I left my previous (demolished) lid in a bin in the south of France last summer, although I remembered to salvage the comms kit from it I completely forgot about the pinlock!)

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
I believe (might be wrong on this) that the pinlock system actually absorbs the moisture and has a finite capacity, so once it's saturated it could then potentially steam up.

Um, yes I really do think you could be wrong on that Wink
Pinlock works like double glazing in your house windows; by having two layers, with an airgap in between, it reduces the temperature gradient from the outside face of your visor to the inside. Therefore, the inner face of the pinlock stays relatively warm, so there's less chance of your moist breath condensing and fogging it up.

My nagging lead me to to the Pinlock website . . . we're both right;

Pinlock Boffins wrote:

To solve this issue, the Pinlock visor insert was created. The Pinlock visor insert is made out of a material that contains moisture absorbing properties, which reacts like a sponge and absorbs moisture effectively.

The inner part of the Pinlock is lined with a silicon bead, which creates a double glazed window type of effect when the Pinlock visor insert is attached to the helmet visor. The pocket of air that is trapped in between the visors acts as an insulator for the inside temperatures in the motorcycle helmet. Efficient absorption properties combined with the double glazed like feature, the Pinlock visor insert is the most effective, durable and affordable anti-fog solution on the market.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock inserts aren't great at night, I think they even say on the website not to use them when it's dark Neutral I'm normally ok having my visor open a crack but it depends on your lid, my old cheap Nitro which funnily enough came pinlock ready, used to fog up like a mother f**ker... even with a pinlock insert if you rode for long enough in the cold.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pinlock inserts aren't great at night, I think they even say on the website not to use them when it's dark Neutral

I agree that they're not as clear as could be at night, but they are manageable; I don't have any major issues riding at night with mine, even on busy wet motorways. I have more problems with my glasses!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get a lot of light refracting/distortions with mine, and it made riding at night unpleasant. Maybe part of it was riding in a city where you have lights coming at you from all directions.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I used to get a lot of light refracting/distortions with mine, and it made riding at night unpleasant. Maybe part of it was riding in a city where you have lights coming at you from all directions.

I do get that a bit, although I tend to ride with the visor open when I'm in and out of Manchester city centre (as the speeds are lower and I prefer the visor open) so maybe that's why I haven't noticed it so much.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Pinlock is an insert; if it's fitted, your visor will appear to be "double glazed" through the main vision area and the insert is visible on the inside.

I have a pinlock in mine but in my experience, if it's humid and rainy and you spend any length of time on the bike, it'll start to move towards steaming up eventually . . . I believe (might be wrong on this) that the pinlock system actually absorbs the moisture and has a finite capacity, so once it's saturated it could then potentially steam up. It then requires a drying out time to regain full effectiveness.

Me - I find that cracking the visor halfway at traffic lights then shutting it once on the move generally keeps it clear for rainy journeys under an hour (if stationary with it shut it steams up too easily without the airflow from the vents).

I had pinlock fail in a big way once. I rode in heavy fog for miles, fog got in between the "double glazing" and rendered it useless
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Um, yes I really do think you could be wrong on that
My nagging lead me to to the Pinlock website. . . we're both right;
Pinlock Boffins wrote:
To solve this issue, the Pinlock visor insert was created. The Pinlock visor insert is made out of a material that contains moisture absorbing properties, which reacts like a sponge and absorbs moisture effectively.

Oh ok, sorry! Smile
I do find it hard to believe this effect can have a significant impact though.
M.C wrote:
Pinlock inserts aren't great at night, I think they even say on the website not to use them when it's dark

Yes they do; and their leaflet says the light transmission ratio is down to 80%. Always struck me as an arse-covering exercise though - I mean, are riders really expected to remove and replace their pinlocks (oh and store them safely so they won't get scratched) every evening on the commute home? It's particularly cynical given that they can be a bit fiddly to take in and out, plus you need the two inner surfaces to be 100% clean and dry for the pinlock effect to work; not exactly easy to achieve every evening at the roadside in shitty winter weather.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Yes they do; and their leaflet says the light transmission ratio is down to 80%. Always struck me as an arse-covering exercise though - I mean, are riders really expected to remove and replace their pinlocks (oh and store them safely so they won't get scratched) every evening on the commute home? It's particularly cynical given that they can be a bit fiddly to take in and out, plus you need the two inner surfaces to be 100% clean and dry for the pinlock effect to work; not exactly easy to achieve every evening at the roadside in shitty winter weather.

It depends if you have a quick release visor and obviously how much visors are. I actually had 3 at one time, clear, clear + pinlock and another fully tinted visor.

Then I got a decent lid, stuck a visor strip on and released it was all rather unnecessary Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is the Foggy mask:

https://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask

Velcro to the inside of your helmet, and helps to keep the face warm.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Another option is the Foggy mask:

https://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask

Velcro to the inside of your helmet, and helps to keep the face warm.

#baklaf ready? Smile Helmets often come with a little breath guard thing, they help a bit, although one thing that annoyed me is if you leave your helmet about with the visor open, someone will always pick it up pulling the guard out in the process Rolling Eyes

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
if you leave your helmet about with the visor open, someone will always pick it up pulling the guard out in the process

Nobody touches my helmet.

NOBODY. Evil or Very Mad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
if you leave your helmet about with the visor open, someone will always pick it up pulling the guard out in the process

Nobody touches my helmet.

NOBODY. Evil or Very Mad

You need to start leaving it out in places where people are forced to touch it... wait what are we talking about Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2