Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biker HITS pedestrian

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Biker HITS pedestrian Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/zz5Jbalm8TA

That's gotta hurt Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:58 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference for anyone else. Next stop, nearest police station or report via 101 and get incident log number.

Then subject access request for the CCTV off the bus.

I once hit a pedestrian (I supermanned over the bars, hurt myself and badly damaged the bike, pedestrian was just "clipped). I dragged the bike a mile up the road to my house, washed the blood off my hands and knees then went to the local cop-shop.

By the time I got back, there were two cops in my mums kichen (bike was registered to her address) who had come to arrest me for failure to stop and report. An incident number fucked them right off.

Third party CCTV also showing her not looking where the fuck she was going will help in a few months when she starts seeing pound signs and decides she has a sore neck. If she does, let her dig a really deep hole then hit her with a counter-claim for damage to your bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Does that work? I got told by someone there was no point as bus companies were uncooperative with such requests.

I think they need to make hitting a pedestrian and staying upright part of the Mod 1 exam Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:47 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Does that work? I got told by someone there was no point as bus companies were uncooperative with such requests.

Depends how much they like being handed large fines by the information commissioners office I suppose.

Cooperating with SARs is not optional, even if you are a bus company.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
For future reference for anyone else. Next stop, nearest police station or report via 101 and get incident log number.

Very wise and noted..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:31 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for future reference:
Good luck defending your self against prosecution and or a claim if you hit a pedestrian at a crossing.

The courts are almost always are on the side of the pedestrian no matter what.

That cunt hit the lass bang in the part where people are expected to be.
The rider should not have went through the crossing as fast.

There was warning of the pedestrian.
Zig Zag Lines
Big tri-colour lamp posts.
Railings on the roadside.

How much warning does the rider need FFS?

At pedestrian crossings look out for pedestrians. Rolling Eyes

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/answers/what-should-i-look-for-when-im-approaching-a-pedestrian-crossing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid pedestrian but I also agree - poor obs.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that video she just ran out into his path, with barely chance to even touch the brakes.
Without the video a different tale might be spun

Note sun position though, with headlight on bike would not be easy to see against the glare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was blame on both parts, but the pedestrian clearly did not acknowledge the bike coming. The fact that she commits to crossing and then does a half hearted 'ooh dear' skip as she realises she's in bother means her attitude to the danger was utterly deficient. At no point did she actually look in the direction of oncoming traffic, again a deficiency in attitude to safety. In other words; silly bitch got what she deserved.

On the biker's part, well yes you should be covering the brake with intent to stop as you approach a crossing with a pedestrian stood at it because well...people are stupid and unpredictable.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always said that it's a ped that'll get me in the end. Smartphone zombie-ism has reached endemic levels. People in London crossing the road without a phone in their hand is now a minority. Watched a girl walk under a bus a while back. Fatal. Hope the call was worth it.

Having said that, this bloke appears to be a bit of a pedestrian-seeking missile. Only hit another ped 2 months ago.

This was me last spring. Again, young woman. No attempt to look. My attempted murderer was busy untangling the headphones on her phone. I was overtaking queuing traffic, probably about 15mph in a 20 zone. The fat-berg of a CBF1000 stopped like a boss. She barely looked up and just monged off.

https://i.imgur.com/fKB8i2mh.jpg

Need louder pipes.

Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:

Need louder pipes.

Thumbs Up

This. Most idiots tend to take notice of the VFR with Remus pipes on (wouldn't you if it sounded like a V8 muscle car was coming at you?)

The Zed was best though, Yoshi race pipes and the fact that it just flame bombed every time you downshifted made for a LOT of attention seeking noise. Cars used to literally dive out of the way of that thing. Pedestrians just shit themselves.

That said; it doesn't negate the need for you to be on point with your obs at ALL times.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filtering through near stationary traffic they do have some excuse though, bikes running down the outside are a rarity outside London
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got called over to our CCTV room just after a motorcycle hit an elderly pedestrian who died, to see if I could tell them the make and model of the bike (view was of the front of the bike).

The bike was going slowly up the outside of queuing traffic and the ped stepped out from between two box vans. He was gently clipped by the bike but fell and hit his head on the road which killed him. The bike roared off and left the scene.

The police were puzzled as it looked like the bike had done no wrong, it was just an unfortunate accident. They managed to track the bike's route through the whole day after looking through all the footage on other cameras and it turned out the rider was going from jewellery shop to jewellery shop, some sort of money laundering thing, hence his desire not to speak to the police. I believe they managed to find him in the end.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedestrians run out in front of me on a daily basis Crying or Very sad

often a few yards either side of a crossing, like they can't be bothered to walk to zebra crossing, but will run across the gap in the traffic just beyond it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the filtering past stationary traffic is always a risk, hence I tend to take that slowly in ped infested areas. If they look, it's always in the opposite direction. And they always seem to cross between the biggest vehicles they can find so you can't see them until the last millisecond. And often about 20 metres away from a safe crossing point.

I particularly enjoy the Kings Cross and Euston areas where the peds, seemingly fresh off the train, love head-down sprinting into the road dragging suitcases or children, or both.

As for the video in the OP. There was literally nothing he could have done there. She ran, not walked, against her red ped-light without looking. It's really hard to judge braking when the video doesn't show handlebars, but seems to me he got on the brakes as soon as he could. A slip of a girl like that couldn't wipe out all his momentum just like that. He had to have scrubbed off a load of speed in that last half second.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another advocate for deafeningly loud exhausts here. You need something that will penetrate a pair of
ear buds as they seem to be standard issue for pedestrians under 30 these days. I've had to slam the brakes
on the scoot (which is mouse quiet,) because of a distracted pedestrian but it's yet to happen on the Spacker.
Conclusive evidence that quiet bikes are terribly unsafe. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
I've always said that it's a ped that'll get me in the end. Smartphone zombie-ism has reached endemic levels. People in London crossing the road without a phone in their hand is now a minority. Watched a girl walk under a bus a while back. Fatal. Hope the call was worth it.

Having said that, this bloke appears to be a bit of a pedestrian-seeking missile. Only hit another ped 2 months ago.

This was me last spring. Again, young woman. No attempt to look. My attempted murderer was busy untangling the headphones on her phone. I was overtaking queuing traffic, probably about 15mph in a 20 zone. The fat-berg of a CBF1000 stopped like a boss. She barely looked up and just monged off.

https://i.imgur.com/fKB8i2mh.jpg

Need louder pipes.

Thumbs Up

Are you the one who tw@tted that red light jumping cyclist on Farringdon Rd? I was trying to remember who it was the other day.

thx1138 wrote:
pedestrians run out in front of me on a daily basis Crying or Very sad

often a few yards either side of a crossing, like they can't be bothered to walk to zebra crossing, but will run across the gap in the traffic just beyond it

That annoys the hell out of me, and they get annoyed if you don't stop. Use the crossing properly and I'll stop for you Rolling Eyes

Not quite understanding why the bikers getting a hard time, that was 100% lemming from the pedestrian.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he had minimal time to react. I imagine his first thought when she started across was along the lines of "Nah, she's not going to... faaaack"
BOOF.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

His reaction and braking times looked pretty spot on to me.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time back around 2007/8, in the middle of the summer I'd spent a few hours at a BBQ on a Saturday, had maybe 3 large bottles of Magners over the course of 4-5 hours. Probably not enough to be over the limit, but enough to wonder whether I might be. I'd also expected to be home long before dark, but had a good time and left later than planned. So ended up riding in a tinted visor at night.

It's about 11pm, pubs are kicking out, I was riding fairly sensibly as there were a lot of people on the pavement, but seemingly out of nowhere I hit a bloke in the back, hard. He took a full pelt hit from my NTV600 at 30mph, and was instantly out cold on the road. Somehow I didn't come off.

I pulled up immediately, and by the time I'd got my lid off the Police had pulled up too. Not sure where they had been, but they hadn't witnessed anything. Obviously I'm shitting myself. Definitely got alcohol in my system, wearing a dark visor, knocked out a pedestrian at night in the middle of town. Things look pretty bad.

Fortunately two things happened.

Firstly, a cabby had spotted everything. He couldn't stop immediately, but turned around at the other end of town and came back through. Right as I was being questioned.

He leaned out of his window and explained what had happened. The guy I hit was standing in a group of friends on the pavement on my side of the road, when he'd seen the cab coming in the opposite direction. Without any thought he leapt out into the road to hail the taxi down, literally right into my path.

Bearing in mind from my point of view the pedestrian had appeared from nowhere, this cabby was a life saver!

Secondly, the chap I'd hit's friends drunkenly decided it would be fun to start throwing chips at us (me and the Police). There was maybe 10 of the group, and two police.

Clearly worried that things were about to kick off big time, the Police took the bare minimum details from me, and told me to get on my way fast.

I did my best to put my lid back on without the Police seeing the visor, and scarpered quick snap!

That was the last time I ever rode at night in a dark visor!

Edit: Oh, and by the time I was leaving, the drunk chap was being wheeled into an Ambulance - I assume he was fine in the end, I never heard anything more of it.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Are you the one who tw@tted that red light jumping cyclist on Farringdon Rd? I was trying to remember who it was the other day.

Yes, that was me. Not my finest moment. I generally pride myself on avoiding all manner of fvcktardary on a daily basis, but let myself down with that one. Her fault, but I could've-should've anticipated it.

And strictly speaking she tw@tted me. Very Happy She buried her forks into my generator cover, literally punching a hole through it, then supermanned over her bars and rugby tackled me off the bike.

That was June 2012!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
M.C wrote:

Yes, that was me. Not my finest moment. I generally pride myself on avoiding all manner of fvcktardary on a daily basis, but let myself down with that one. Her fault, but I could've-should've anticipated it.

And strictly speaking she tw@tted me. Very Happy She buried her forks into my generator cover, literally punching a hole through it, then supermanned over her bars and rugby tackled me off the bike.

That was June 2012!

Ah ok, I think sickpup was asking who it was a while ago, I couldn't remember but recognised your bike/the same area of town from your screenie. That hi-viz is still working then? Very Happy

c_dug wrote:
this cabby was a life saver!

That was lucky, on the whole cabbies don't seem to like bikers. Along with uncooperative bus companies we got told at work if you crash with a cab don't bother arguing with them, as a fellow cabbie fwend witness would likely appear from nowhere.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDRA.
When someone provides a method of changing the laws of physics then I will then rely on Loud Pipes to warn other road users IN FRONT of me.

Until the law in U.K. is changed to protect vehicle over pedestrians I will always give way to them.

Unless the rules of the road are changed I will still consider a pedestrian crossing as a.place where pedestrians have THE ULTIMATE PRIORITY over other road users.

It doesn't matter if she was looking. The rider is advises to take care. In that case the rider is to blame.
I'd bet a magistrate or judge would say the same.

The lassie was on a pedestrian crossing.
She was distracted, it's only human. Everyone is not 100% 100% of the time. That is why we are supposed to show Courtesy when using the road.
People in cars, bikes, busses, trucks ,vans probably cause more damage to each other on the road than pedestrians cause on the pavement.
Slow down in town.
The race were all in is called The Human Race not the Monti-Fukin-Karlo.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies, ladies, ladies.....

Important rule for all you Indignant Riders.

There is NO Jay walking rule anywhere in the U.K.

Pedestrians always have right of way.

You are taking a big chance with your liberty especially when you don't ride accordingly in places where there are normally pedestrians.

There are many cases in law where the pedestrians complaint is upheld in court.
It's better to be cautious than cautioned.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
When someone provides a method of changing the laws of physics then I will then rely on Loud Pipes to warn other road users IN FRONT of me.

Not this again Brick Wall I can hear loud bikes coming up behind me when I'm in a car/van. You can hear the distinctive note of a bike over other traffic unless it's a quiet scooter/commuter bike.

There was a formula 1 graphic which I can't find, which showed the sound waves emanating all around.

If you had to slow/stop at every set of lights that were green you'd never get anywhere and probably get rear-ended several times a day.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3