BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biker HITS pedestrian

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.quittance.co.uk/personal-injury-compensation/pedestrian-accident-claims/zebra-crossing-accident

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your own link:
On the part of the driver;
- failing to slow down or approach a crossing with caution

On the part of the pedestrian;
- using the crossing carelessly, such as moving onto a crossing when the 'red man' is illuminated?
- darting in front of vehicles.

Nothing about if you hit a lemming pedestrian you're liable.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

from the article wrote:
What if I used the pedestrian crossing carelessly?

The court may decide that both parties are negligent to some degree. In this scenario, the court may award compensation for your injuries but reduce the award for your own contributory negligence - that is, the degree to which you contributed to the cause of your own injuries.

It is extremely unlikely that a Court will ever find you 100% at fault for a pedestrian crossing accident no matter how reckless you have been. That is because 'The Highway Code' places a high duty of care on drivers in respect of pedestrians. Drivers are expected to approach crossings with extreme caution and take extra care when driving in built up areas or around schools.

If the pedestrian is not 100% at fault, then the driver will bear some liability.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article about zebra crossings isn't fully applicable at a crossing controlled by lights I would of thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
M.C wrote:

from the article wrote:
What if I used the pedestrian crossing carelessly?

The court may decide that both parties are negligent to some degree. In this scenario, the court may award compensation for your injuries but reduce the award for your own contributory negligence - that is, the degree to which you contributed to the cause of your own injuries.

It is extremely unlikely that a Court will ever find you 100% at fault for a pedestrian crossing accident no matter how reckless you have been. That is because 'The Highway Code' places a high duty of care on drivers in respect of pedestrians. Drivers are expected to approach crossings with extreme caution and take extra care when driving in built up areas or around schools.

If the pedestrian is not 100% at fault, then the driver will bear some liability.

Yes I saw that bit, right above it also says...

'The court may decide that both parties are negligent to some degree. In this scenario, the court may award compensation for your injuries but reduce the award for your own contributory negligence - that is, the degree to which you contributed to the cause of your own injuries'.

I quoted above the bits that looked most relevant for this situation with regards to driver and pedestrian liability.

It's a little different to:
MCN wrote:
Also for future reference:
Good luck defending your self against prosecution and or a claim if you hit a pedestrian at a crossing.

The courts are almost always are on the side of the pedestrian no matter what.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:45 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
TLDRA.
When someone provides a method of changing the laws of physics then I will then rely on Loud Pipes to warn other road users IN FRONT of me.

Is this the law of physics that means compression waves move through the air from their source at a speed of 770mph under standard temperature and pressure. Or are you thinking of some other law of physics?

So at the what, 20 metres away she started crossing, the noise from the exhaust would have taken roughly 0.5 seconds to reach her.

Riders view of the pedestrian was obscured by the van in front until the very last minute. Likewise her view of the bike.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone agrees - loud exhaust pipes pointing forwards?

Was once in a barbers getting my hair cut and enjoying the view onto the street outside. Barber and myself watched a woman get hit by a car (20 mph ish) and she bounced like a ball along the road past the shop window. She wasn't fat either.
That means we're OK to hit women because they carry more padding.

(Agree though - pedestrians at pedestrian places regardless of lights. Was told/warned of that during my HGV training)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:21 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
From your own link:
On the part of the driver;
- failing to slow down or approach a crossing with caution

On the part of the pedestrian;
- using the crossing carelessly, such as moving onto a crossing when the 'red man' is illuminated?
- darting in front of vehicles.

Failing to 'slow down'.

I've been riding and driving for years.
I've never hit a pedestrian.
Probably coz I 'slow down' whenever they're around.

Do they not teach this at bike school these days?

The drama queen huffed and puffed looking at his bike. The bird he hit hurried off to catch her bus.

(Who's the little Bitch? Smile )

It obvious that the vlogger feels he is 100% blameless or he probably wouldn't put the clip on YouTube.

He doesn't know or understand how courts work or he would have held back.

Last edited by MCN on 07:40 - 25 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:36 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:
TLDRA.
When someone provides a method of changing the laws of physics then I will then rely on Loud Pipes to warn other road users IN FRONT of me.

Is this the law of physics that means compression waves move through the air from their source at a speed of 770mph under standard temperature and pressure. Or are you thinking of some other law of physics?

So at the what, 20 metres away she started crossing, the noise from the exhaust would have taken roughly 0.5 seconds to reach her.

Riders view of the pedestrian was obscured by the van in front until the very last minute. Likewise her view of the bike.

It's the law of physics that say sound waves move away from their source.
Therefore if the 'loud pipe/s' is the best means to warn other road users they should point forward.
But then they'd look daft.

We can here 'loud pipes due to diffraction or reflection of the sound.

It is definitely not the best method to rely on to warn other road users. How can anyone tell where the sound is coming from in a busy traffic situation?
(And they is also annoying AF too.)

Better road craft and observation would be more helpful.

In the clip the use of loud pipes would have been made redundant due to the BWV Ghost Rider was following.

I saw the pedestrian standing at the crossing.
I saw the bus at the crossing.
There was a likelihood that people will be trying to get on or off the bus.
It's a poor road layout so the recommendation then is to slow down and approach with care.

This is not rocket science.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-general-advice.html

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/pedestrian-crossings.html

There is lots of 'advice' in the highway code book.
Drivers and rider should read it regularly to maintain knowledge and learn new rules etc.
There's a position some folk take that the highway code is a difficulty level one is forced to memorize in order to pass the test.
It's not that at all.
It's a book that was devised to help prevent accidents on British roads.
Before the book it was carnage on the roads as no one knew how to behave properly.
It's a civil right to be safe on the road.

And Every time there is a clip of a biker colliding with a pedestrian there are too many bcfers on the side of the biker.

This biker is a dick.
I would never defend his style of riding.
He doesn't seem to know or care much for any rules.

https://youtu.be/13LfYsP0B-8

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is hilarious.
Apparently loud exhausts make zero noise coming towards you.
When riding towards a green light you should brake in case a pedestrian walks into the road.
If a pedestrian walks into the road without looking, no warning and gives you no time to react, it's totes your fault because you didn't use Jedi skills.
If your bike gets gravel rash all down one side you should just pick it up and ride off or you're a whiny little bitch.

She got up and hurried off through a combination of shock, guilt and embarrassment. She knew she was in the wrong and had just wrecked that guy's bike. For some reason she didn't want to hang about and check if he was okay or offer to pay for the damage to the bike. Yes she is a stoic and strong character, and he's a whiny bitch with poor obs. Neutral

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
This thread is hilarious.
Apparently loud exhausts make zero noise coming towards you.
When riding towards a green light you should brake in case a pedestrian walks into the road.
If a pedestrian walks into the road without looking, no warning and gives you no time to react, it's totes your fault because you didn't use Jedi skills.
If your bike gets gravel rash all down one side you should just pick it up and ride off or you're a whiny little bitch.

She got up and hurried off through a combination of shock, guilt and embarrassment. She knew she was in the wrong and had just wrecked that guy's bike. For some reason she didn't want to hang about and check if he was okay or offer to pay for the damage to the bike. Yes she is a stoic and strong character, and he's a whiny bitch with poor obs. Neutral

Your missing the important part.

The same argument is put up when a biker t-bones a cager.

Who comes out the worse in that scenario?

No matter who has 'right of way the biker stands to lose the most.
Solution, prepare to stop or slow down.

It is really elementary.

Think about that logic too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I've been riding and driving for years.

Same.

MCN wrote:
I've never hit a pedestrian.

Same.

MCN wrote:
Probably coz I 'slow down' whenever they're around.

Probably cos you don't live in the most populated city in the UK and pedestrians are a novelty Wink

MCN wrote:
Do they not teach this at bike school these days?

The only remotely applicable thing I remember is when learning to drive being told you should back off approaching traffic lights in case they change... that was instructor number 1, instructor number 2 told me to floor it if they do change Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The biker is always in the wrong?

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:50 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon this has all the 'tell tale' signs of a hazardous situation, hell it could even be used on that stupid hazard perception test: stationary bus, pedestrian crossing, damp road, low sun, mini roundabout, white van... Also she steps out immediately as the van passes, the rider easily has time to act if only he had anticipated a pedestrian being there.

What a stupid bint though, darwin theory in action!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MCN wrote:

The biker is always in the wrong?

/\ this..

🤣

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
C'mon this has all the 'tell tale' signs of a hazardous situation, hell it could even be used on that stupid hazard perception test: stationary bus, pedestrian crossing, damp road, low sun, mini roundabout, white van... Also she steps out immediately as the van passes, the rider easily has time to act if only he had anticipated a pedestrian being there.

What a stupid bint though, darwin theory in action!

If you look at his other clip he incriminate himself again when riding through a busy town centre in rain during darkness.
Failed to notice a girl crossing 'on zig-day's when he overtakes a line of traffic waiting on the crossing.

As I said, he's a dick or as someone else said, a missile (unguided guy fawkes type).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he noticed her, then she stepped forward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LfYsP0B-8

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:03 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing a trend in these videos, anyone else spot it? Probably can't say it because "ur sexist mate"

Here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVhrvtZ69_I

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker left a two second gap, wasn't speeding and was aware of the stationary bus ahead. The girl violated a 'don't walk' light without even looking left. Why is there even any debate about blame. I've seen pheasants and deer with more awareness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Biker left a two second gap, wasn't speeding and was aware of the stationary bus ahead. The girl violated a 'don't walk' light without even looking left. Why is there even any debate about blame. I've seen pheasants and deer with more awareness.

A 2 second gap and Not Speeding and awareness of other traffic doesn't really help.

It actually incriminates the rider to admit that he noticed traffic congestion had seen the pedestrian.

It may sound un-reasonable but in a court room it will be spelled out in fines and points what it means.

Speed limits are not targets. You should only be moving at a speed where you can safely stop depending on conditions. If it means a slow crawl and waddling between vehicles then that's what it means to make progress.
Being aware of traffic suggests that it has registered that there are other road users and concentration should be adjusted to suit.

Seeing the pedestrian at a crossing gives two possibilities. A) The pedestrian will remain on the safe bit or B) walks onto the not safe bit.
For my money I will slow down just in case B happens.
It is much quicker and cheaper to slow a bit than have an RTA to deal with.

Of course everyone can ride or drive as they wish.

But ride like that prick and be ready for points and more.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not think pedestrians have responsibilities too? The rider seems to have done all he could apart from walked to his destination. You wouldn't have done any better.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
I'm seeing a trend in these videos, anyone else spot it? Probably can't say it because "ur sexist mate"

Here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVhrvtZ69_I

Good example. (Need to get me a camera like that one very clear image.)

It must be the cleaner air in Scotland or just something in the whiskey but do you not see her beginning to cross in front of the taxi?

I look for this shit every time I ride or drive through town.

That edjit would have been blasted in court I bet.

Who hasn't been in traffic and pedestrian has appeared 'as if from nowhere' (but actually from where pedestrians always appear from in traffic.)

These idiots with their vlog-cams need to go back to bike school or maybe do an AIMS course. (But they perhaps believe they are already more advanced than AIMS.)

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
B0ndy wrote:

Good example. (Need to get me a camera like that one very clear image.)

It must be the cleaner air in Scotland or just something in the whiskey but do you not see her beginning to cross in front of the taxi?

Laughing Delusional. How many times did you watch the video before you 'anticipated' her stepping out?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Laughing Delusional. How many times did you watch the video before you 'anticipated' her stepping out?

I have been riding bikes for years.
I anticipate that stupid can happen all the time. Smile

I'll delusional ye.. Mad

Very Happy

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the videos linked show filtering at stupidly fast speeds. Motorists have to be aware that standing traffic in cities will have pedestrians passing through. Just slow down for starters.

Yes The Highway Code is written for those on foot too but what MCN is getting at is how a court of law would look at the whole accident.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3