Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Bike - R1200 GS 2005

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

guitarcarfana...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: New Bike - R1200 GS 2005 Reply with quote

So...Transalp is now on the road and fully fettled. Time to start looking for my next project.

I wanted a big bike to take me to europe and was open to pretty much anything. Then this this popped up for about £1500 less than it should be (alot of bike for £2k)....

https://i.imgur.com/HNtO0x8h.jpg

MOT just lapsed, flat battery but assured it was a good bike. 74k, full BMW history and after an hour of fiddling/jump starting, running lovely on the sellers driveway. It's done 1000 miles in 3 years so clearly in need of a good run.

Money changed hands, bike insured, MOT booked (in case I got stopped by the Rozzas) and then 3 hour drive home (over the Brecons) in the pitch dark and snow/ice. Fun and games!

Lot's of poke, this bike is fast and handles well. Motorway work is super....like an armchair. Heated grips are insane!

Pulled battery off to charge when I got home - fully charged, looks like it just needed a good run.

Few little things to investigate, but bike looks solid. Maybe not a project - MOT tomorrow so will find out if the basics are all good.

All in all, chuffed. Nice bike, can see why they are so highly rated.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking for the GS Adventure, need to part ex my bike in the deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: New Bike - R1200 GS 2005 Reply with quote

guitarcarfanatic wrote:
can see why they are so highly rated.

Yes, yes. I'd trust someone who bought one and their opinion of them.

Notice the 1000 in 3 years, thats probably pretty common with adventure bikes ridden by born agains. 'Was a fantastic bike, just didn't ride it enough' Great review.

I like the idea of them... I just don't find them fast, exciting or ... well, I just think there are much better bikes out there for less money and a better badge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: New Bike - R1200 GS 2005 Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I like the idea of them... I just don't find them fast, exciting or ... well, I just think there are much better bikes out there for less money and a better badge.

I think they are fast enough for our roads and for the little country lanes, Keeps the short arses in their places, excitement is of your own making. As for Badges, Ive never bought a bike for the badge.

I like the look of the GS Adventure and by the way it's a BMW.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: New Bike - R1200 GS 2005 Reply with quote

guitarcarfanatic wrote:
MOT booked (in case I got stopped by the Rozzas)

MOT tomorrow

What? Laughing

guitarcarfana...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: New Bike - R1200 GS 2005 Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
guitarcarfanatic wrote:
MOT booked (in case I got stopped by the Rozzas)

MOT tomorrow

What? Laughing

Friendly MOT tester - basically, drop it off when I like and he corroborates any story!

guitarcarfana...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flew through the MOT today - treated to a thorough wash and polish, followed by ACF-50 treatment.

Ordered all the bits for a full 20k service, plus some extra bits. It's been 7k since last documented service (albeit 3 years!). Oil isn't looking a healthy colour through the sightglass! Looking forward to getting the big german a little more fettled!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: New Bike - R1200 GS 2005 Reply with quote

guitarcarfanatic wrote:
he corroborates any story!

What time is guitarcarfanatic booked in?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1