Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec bic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked: I believe there are 3 different types of charging plug. I could be wrong though. That dramatically reduces charging point availability.. or can you get giant travel adapters??

I'm surprised the local metal pikeys haven't realised this but those charging leads at points are easy pickings for good copper. It'd be awful if those pikeys crippled the UK overnight for a few quid in their pockets..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they stop someone in say London, free parking their electric car all day on a charging point?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about free parking at points but can tell you that around my way (SE Northumberland) you will rarely have access to a charging point because taxis sit at them all day.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
And cost as much as a small house.

I can confirm this, my 100k investment in Stoke 18 months ago pays me £550 a month, every month 100% in my
bin, with no mortgage to pay. I'd sooner have that than a flash soon to be obsolete, virtue signal on wheels thanks.
If I sell the Stoke place on, then I'm likely to see a profit too. Can't say the same for a Tesla. I wouldn't touch electric
vehicles with a bargepole personally, I have better things to spend money on than this faddery, and I certainly
don't trust the government to put the spending or infrastructure in place sufficient for everyone to switch to electric
vehicles. It's a doomed project IMO, like that daft HS2 railway line nobody wants either. I remember when minidisc
was going to replace CDs 20 years ago. Didn't though, did it? Even though it was an arguably better format.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

vehicles. It's a doomed project IMO, like that daft HS2 railway line nobody wants either. I remember when minidisc
was going to replace CDs 20 years ago. Didn't though, did it? Even though it was an arguably better format.

One of the big problems is it doesn't have a format.

Every single fuel station has a standard product with a standard supply system.

Charging points have different systems. 4 is it now? and with no sign of compatibility yet.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the lack of forward thinking that we should expect from the muppets that govern us tbh. Even if the greens got in,
(excuse me while I laugh myself sick) they would still make a pigs ear of implementation no doubt. For starters we'll
need many more powerstations.

We'll need to stop buying them for Iraq first.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2019/01/28/uk-invests-770m-in-two-new-power-stations-in-iraq/

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Shame muppets still can't get their heads round that and put the wrong fuel in.....

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a masters in Power and Sustainable Energy Engineering a few years ago and someone did a presentation on the governments proposal for all vehicles to be electric by 2025 (at the time).

If we were to generate the extra electricity needed ourselves he worked out we'd have to cover 25% of the UK land area with wind turbines lol.

Solution is developing cold fusion Cool
Unfortunately, just like Brexit/fail*al it's always a few years away Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Shame muppets still can't get their heads round that and put the wrong fuel in.....

You can't even fit a diesel nozzle into an unleaded tank yet people still manage. Laughing

Wifie has done it with her Megane but she probably ranks at 'mechanically unsympathetic' on the car careometer.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also need to realise that once the government has everyone driving milk floats around the UK, they'll then proceed to tax them to the hilt.
Make your own juice on the roof? There's a tax for that etc. Governments detest not being in control of and manipulating what the public use/need.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Pete. wrote:

My mate's tesla charges to 80% in well under an hour (for free, too) and has a range of over 200 miles.

And cost as much as a small house.

Not many 70-grand houses in the South East mate...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Plenty in the North West though, and rent is rent. I'm looking for a couple more in the very near future.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:57 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Plenty in the North West though, and rent is rent. I'm looking for a couple more in the very near future.

Which of course is full of Teslas but that wasn't my point and I don't know how the hell we got from electric car range to the cost of rent in the shitty NW anyway.

My point was made against MPD's claimed range figures and really the 70-grand cost of the car might seem a lot but so does buying a new phone outright until you compare it to the accumulative cost of doing it via monthly contract. IOW as I said he gets FREE re-charges for the whole ownership and drives Kent to Brum/Manchester/Leeds so racks up a lot of miles. You don't have to be Einstein to work out that it's not going to take too many years before the cost of filling up 2-3 times a week at 60 quid a pop is going to add up to make something like a new 2L Mondeo

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:58 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my point was that its still a terrible way to spend a sum of money like that just to appear a little more "right on"
than the next bloke. It's about as sound an investment as getting a builder to pop a landing platform on the roof for
a Jetsons car anywhere during my lifetime. Get in before the big rush on Teslas Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Do me a favour, They're
so popular, I've only seen 3. Ever. We've already been told that electric vehicles will still have to pay extra to go into London
regardless of emissions. What a huge incentive that is, to toss 70k at a donkey.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be all sorts of potential spin-offs if ICEs are banned.
One idea could be steam. All you need is something like paraffin and a flash boiler and away you go.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Could be all sorts of potential spin-offs if ICEs are banned.
One idea could be steam. All you need is something like paraffin and a flash boiler and away you go.

Horse and cart. I can see myself driving one of these...

https://i2.wp.com/judeknightauthor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/victorian.jpg

Especially in that hat!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet the mpg on that would be good.

I remember at uni looking at water powered vehicles, something to do with electrolysis of the hydrogen, can't remember details.

Or alcohol powered. One for you... one for me (stolen from Simpsons Sad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
And my point was that its still a terrible way to spend a sum of money.

As opposed to perhaps 30K on a saloon that's going to burn 40Kplus in it's lifetime of fuel? As I said the initial outlay might be sticker shock but the lifetime cost is very comparable.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

15k is about my ceiling price for what is ultimately just some transport which can be written off in an instant. Be it car,
bike or van. 30k seems awfully indulgent to me, but we all have our priorities I suppose. I had about 10k change from
30k for a 2012 Van, a 2015 car bought at 2 years old, a 2016 bike bought brand new and my 2013 125 scooter.
But then I don't have a big handle on the side of my head like a mug might have. I'd rather have my 4 vehicles bought
and paid for than less than a third of a shitty battery powered white elephant. If they're so awesome Pete, where's yours?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
grr666 wrote:
And my point was that its still a terrible way to spend a sum of money.

As opposed to perhaps 30K on a saloon that's going to burn 40Kplus in it's lifetime of fuel? As I said the initial outlay might be sticker shock but the lifetime cost is very comparable.

Most people haven't got the money to buy a Tesla. They are more likely to buy a Nissan Leaf or a Renault Zoe where the comparable cars don't match up at all.

The Renault, you are paying 65 a month battery rental. £65 would buy you a couple of tanks worth for a Renault Clio which is what? 800 miles at a guess? It also new costs 6 grand less than the cheapest Zoe (including government grant).

So basically, if you drive 10000 miles a year, they are going to cost the same running costs but you have an extra £6000 in your pocket and none of the electrical limitations.

I cannot see the point yet.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree,
And as soon as there is a point, we will know. Because government will tax the shit out of it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
They're so popular, I've only seen 3. Ever.

Lots in West London because money and they have fast charging spaces at Westfield. There was some woman on the local news the other day moaning because she often couldn't park her Tesla near to her house to charge it. Major first world problem there The world's smallest violin player, just for you!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7