Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec bic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:04 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec bic Reply with quote

I'm curious about electric mopeds. Has anyone got one or tried one ? I'm not sure how long they have been around. I've not seen many second-hand ones.
I think they only do about 30mph but some claim 45.
Who buys them? I think they are about £7k new. I know you will never need to buy petrol but depreciation is going to sting.
I'm thinking that might be where I come in getting a cheap second hand one when they are available but I'm not sure many people are going to buy them new so that is going to limit their availability.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:55 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you wash them in the bath...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to look into this - I remember when Yamaha first brought one out. I almost drove over the top of one..

Found this on the bay of evil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Yamaha-EC-3-electric-Moped-scooter-Ideal-camper-very-light-free-running/143090026212?hash=item2150d486e4:g:avMAAOSwSrVakZuR:rk:8:pf:0

Notice how the seller doesn't claim the range of it..
Judging by the ad it's camper van folk who buy them to plonk on the back of campers? I dunno.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1000 + for any second hand moped is in the 'fcuk that' range.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
..... £7k new. I know you will never need to buy petrol but depreciation is going to sting.

Ok, well, based on what you're looking for, your idea of the pricing is well out of date..

Have a look at, the super soco range

https://supersoco.co.uk/

Also look here

https://urbanebikes.com/collections/electric-mopeds

THere are others, but, I'm not going to list them all

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:26 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Ok, well, based on what you're looking for, your idea of the pricing is well out of date..

Have a look at, the super soco range

The pricing I found was the premium brand ones. So current pricing but different end of the market. The price on that super soco is tempting. £2500 new is almost low enough for me without having to buy second hand.

However I don't know the quality of the super soco.
A few years ago it was safe to say that unbranded chinese petrol bikes were cheap but you'd be better off buying a second hand premium bike.

It would be good to see what a super soco looks like after a few years.

Some cheap brands like lexmoto don't seem to be too bad but i seem to remember that brands like lifan are shocking.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:32 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review is interesting and i like the idea of carrying a spare battery. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/super-soco-review/

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a second hand bmw c1 evolution on ebay at the moment which has power equiv to a 250cc+ scooter but even secondhand someone is trying to get more than £10k for it.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

Who buys them? I think they are about £7k new.

The pricing I found was the premium brand ones. So current pricing but different end of the market.[/quote]

So is it a case of THINK (OP) or KNOW 2nd post..... Embarassed

https://zappscooter.com

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:20 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With premium ones. The vespa elettrica is £5k and is 4kw.

The ujet is about £7k and is also 4kw but that one is a bit top end with innovative design.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fujet-ws-cdn.azureedge.net%2Fassets%2F_medium%2FUjet_Scooters_profile-left-disp-closed-high-seat-bel-air-blue_180626_084234.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fujet.com%2F&tbnid=_N830laFRMLYSM&vet=1&docid=0LoMdMkZ6QX90M&w=1200&h=969

https://goo.gl/images/NUCqvu

https://youtu.be/IoVBKgsbO9c

https://img.newatlas.com/ujet-electric-scooter-1.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&dpr=2&fit=max&q=40&w=450&s=7cc59e72fcb22ac20ff168c6c04a1728

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:30 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still niche products for people that really want an electric bike. None of them are currently anywhere near competing with anything petrol powered.

Consider that for £1500-2k you can buy a nearly new 125 scooter that will do 100mpg. Petrol will be the least of your running costs.

The second hand market for electric bikes is even worse, because the technology is rapidly improving. It means a second hand bike isn't just second hand, it's also measurably worse (in terms of range or power output) than a new one.

I can see them getting popular when I can buy something with equivalent range and performance to a 125 scooter for the same money as a (high end) 125 scooter. They aren't there yet. In fact, when they get there I'll probably buy one, along with a load more solar panels for my garage roof.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:54 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wkbikes.com/electric-motorbike-ecolt.html

electric Grom anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I do like the looking that,an when compared to a 50cc, 60km range is fine, how many 50's do more 40 mikes without a break? Price wise, it's very much on a par with petrol equivalents. You possibly won't hear this very often but, fair pkay and well done to WK for bringing this to the UK market. Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
https://www.wkbikes.com/electric-motorbike-ecolt.html

electric Grom anyone?

Err it weighs as much but you'll be small, silent, and slower than most traffic Neutral

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Err it weighs as much but you'll be small, silent, and slower than most traffic Neutral

May as well get used to it, electric is the future !! There are quite a few super soco's around, and other electric scooters that seem to be doing just fine.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:32 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Found this on the bay of evil:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Yamaha-EC-3-electric-Moped-scooter-Ideal-camper-very-light-free-running/143090026212?hash=item2150d486e4:g:avMAAOSwSrVakZuR:rk:8:pf:0

Notice how the seller doesn't claim the range of it..
Judging by the ad it's camper van folk who buy them to plonk on the back of campers? I dunno.

Good find. That's exactly the kind of price point and reassurance of a familiar brand that could tempt me.

Grimsby is a bit far for me, and robbie is right about the pace of technology change so the olders ones like that will be a bit behind the new ones.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I would want to check the health of the battery of a 6 year electric scooter, that's only covered 800 miles, not many cycles for the battery, has it degraded. You may have to factor in the cost of a new batteries on top of the asking price.

Even with the battery in tip top condition, they only had a range of about 15 miles when new.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
M.C wrote:

May as well get used to it, electric is the future !! There are quite a few super soco's around, and other electric scooters that seem to be doing just fine.

The SS TC Max looks interesting although I got bored of watching someone mong around on one. Assuming they can accelerate like a bastard off the line that would be alright for a city.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not I can actually see the point of an electric small scooter, especially as a city only commuter or even as a sporty Aerox rival.

If you can get 30-40mile range on a charge and easily out accelerate a de-restrictred 50cc scoot to 40mph, then it'd be useful for someone who wants to get to work in the city and being electric there's far less reason why you shouldn't be allowed to take it into your building/office/factory at work as there's not a flammable fire risk. And if you can plug it in at work FOC to charge it up, then even better!

Where it all goes wrong is where you have to pay more than premium 125 scooter money for one though.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:26 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxYeti, I notice you have had about 8 lesser known brand petrol bikes.

What are the ones that are ok and which are to be avoided ? What sort of problems do you get with the bad ones ?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said it's the batteries that let them down = more so in used machines. The costs are staggering for a replacement pack and technology will have moved on..

What you need is something with a live power feed - a dodgem scooter perhaps?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
LinuxYeti, I notice you have had about 8 lesser known brand petrol bikes.

What are the ones that are ok and which are to be avoided ? What sort of problems do you get with the bad ones ?

Haha, that's 1 way of putting it, of the ones in my list, one to be avoided, from my perspective..

Yamaha divvy, dull, so, dull and lethergic, hated it.
Triumph America Intermittent cutting out and and quite badly affected by corrosion.

Of the Others

Bullet 350, loved it, but not the quickest of bikes..

Mash 400, excellent bike, love it, not had a problem with it, hasn't correded. Again, not the quickest, but still quick enough for motorway runs.

CF650TR - Again, very reliable, good weather protection a good all weather motorway bike, it is a bit on the heavy side.

Honda VTX1300 - Beast of a bike, loved it, would happily have another.

Of the others, if you can find a Lexmoto/Huonaio Arrow in good nick, definitely worth looking at. Nice and reliable, I'd remove the side stand switch, change the spark plug cap to a better quality version, and keep an eye on the painted exhaust. I swopped this to get the divvy, that was such a mistake.

I really liked the Jinlun JL-250, worth keeping an eye out for a lexmoto equivalent.

The Lifan LF400, was a lovely bike, 2 of us did the John O'Groats run on a pair of these.., sadly, you're more like to find an XV535 now.

But, going back to electric, if it was me, then I'd be giving serious consideration to the Super Soco range, and, also the WK Bike electric Colt.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

What you need is something with a live power feed - a dodgem scooter perhaps?

Already been done...

https://youtu.be/unhXEQQk8G8

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7