Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec bic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is (was) nothing to do with houses or rent or even cost but Mpdarguer's assertion that leccy cars are useless outside of cities. My mate travels up and down the country in his electric car and he loves it. And it's not got anything to do with being 'green' either because he's a confirmed petrol head, aI was shocked to see he'd bought a Tesla.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
they have fast charging spaces at Westfield.
'

How fast is a 'fast' charging? What's a slow charging?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
M.C wrote:
they have fast charging spaces at Westfield.
'

How fast is a 'fast' charging? What's a slow charging?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger

AFAIK fast charging is meant to be the 'solution'. However spending 30 mins at a service station is still longer than I would like to.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:14 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

AFAIK fast charging is meant to be the 'solution'. However spending 30 mins at a service station is still longer than I would like to.

Indeed - I normally go for ones that are on either side and ideally have a fairly simple path around the outside - the dog and I can use the trees without the faff of going in, rather than spending time with roundabouts, parking, getting past the food queues etc.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine the impact on the grid when so many leccy vehicles call by and do a quick fast charge. It'll be like switching on dozens of steel rolling mills.

Electric vehicles do have some plus points but they also create many problems that will need a addressing. Spikes on the grid, public charging points, battery life, price.
I'm just pleased that I managed to enjoy using ICE vehicles during my life time.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Bet the mpg on that would be good.

I remember at uni looking at water powered vehicles, something to do with electrolysis of the hydrogen, can't remember details.

You can get toy cars powered by salt water on a magnesium plate, but the plate is rapidly consumed. It's a cool science experiment though. YouTube is full of conspiracy theories about an "inventor" of water-powered cars being killed to hide the secret. Laughing

Like "pure" electric vehicles, alternative water or hydrogen technologies still rely primarily on power stations (60% fossil fuels, 15% nuclear, 15% wind/tide/solar, some foreign electricity imported onto the grid, 6% wood burning which is classed as 'biomass' and assumed to be sustainable!) to kick things off, making them nearly as polluting as ICE. Factor in the mining of fancy metals like lithium and we're no better off unless you only consider the environment in the immediate proximity of the vehicle; cities don't get as polluted.

mpd72 wrote:
We looked into this before, a horse puts out more CO2 emissions than an average car. All workings were shown and clear.

Maybe so but internal combustion engines are putting CO2 into the environment from reserves which have been locked away for millennia, during which the Earth had found a balance without it. Horses (and biofuels Wink ) consume carbon and recycle it back to the environment comparatively rapidly so it makes little difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Pete. wrote:
My point is (was) nothing to do with houses or rent or even cost but Mpdarguer's assertion that leccy cars are useless outside of cities. My mate travels up and down the country in his electric car and he loves it. And it's not got anything to do with being 'green' either because he's a confirmed petrol head, aI was shocked to see he'd bought a Tesla.

Course he does. How many miles a day does he do in this weather?

Ever tried a battery powered heater? How efficient are they?

He's in Nottingham today actually, From Kent. Dunno what the hell a heater has to do with it. A tesla battery is higher voltage than UK mains for a start and you don;t need to run a 3-bar fire to heat a tiny car cockpit especially when there's already one human in there heating it up already.

Anyway I'm not going to discuss it with YOU any further for the same reason that I and others pointedly don't engage in any of your discussions - you enjoy arguing too much. There must be some aspect of your being that compels you to be so permanently disagreeable (could be the source of you acronym - Mister Permanently Disagreeable) that you feel compelled to sit hunched over a laptop keyboard scouring the internet for people to argue with, but I'm not getting drawn into that sorry world, you crack on and have fun with it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:41 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I can imagine the impact on the grid when so many leccy vehicles call by and do a quick fast charge. It'll be like switching on dozens of steel rolling mills.

Electric vehicles do have some plus points but they also create many problems that will need a addressing. Spikes on the grid, public charging points, battery life, price.
I'm just pleased that I managed to enjoy using ICE vehicles during my life time.

One of the positives of electric vehicles is in the future they can potentially smooth out spikes on the grid - they can be charged when power is cheap, from household solar etc. Then if the owner doesn't plan to use them soon, or plan to use a full charge, can sell that electricity back to the grid when there's a spike in usage.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see how much solar and wind power the UK generates at, say, midday tomorrow.
https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

One of the positives of electric vehicles is in the future they can potentially smooth out spikes on the grid - they can be charged when power is cheap, from household solar etc. Then if the owner doesn't plan to use them soon, or plan to use a full charge, can sell that electricity back to the grid when there's a spike in usage.

I wonder why every house hasn't got solar panels Thinking It would take a shitload of money but it does sound like a solution. Apparently the government have removed the subsidy.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand down everyone. The Chinese Shocked have discovered the largest North Sea gas reserve in a decade.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-47041270

Edit: wrong thread perhaps, but it makes the point that fossil fuels aren't dead yet, even if it doesn't address the need or otherwise for electric transport.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Stand down everyone. The Chinese Shocked have discovered the largest North Sea gas reserve in a decade.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-47041270

Independence naow!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

That is why "smart meters" are being rolled out. "Demand management tariffs", etc. Possibly other methods of "encouragement".

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:43 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Right this second we're at around 7GW Nuclear and 6GW Wind - I was expecting the gap to be a good bit bigger than that!
And under 1GW coal.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Right this second we're at around 7GW Nuclear and 6GW Wind - I was expecting the gap to be a good bit bigger than that!
And under 1GW coal.

We're at low-moderate demand so they've switched coal off until tomorrow. UK nuclear is close to maximum capacity to give us 20% and it looks like we're buying 2GW from France. Or are we sending them 2GW? Surprisingly, wind is at 50% capacity (how!?) to give us 18% of our current needs. Gas is at half capacity but still supplying almost 50% of our needs. Coal is switched off until demand rises tomorrow. I'll try and check the status at midday tomorrow for comparison.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psst.. You don't just switch off a coal fired power station. They can take months to get to capacity. It's all to do with plumbing and heat equilibrium.

I has 8 panels on my roof. They were installed free via my social housing a few years ago. I'm told it's a 2kw system but will never know! It does help me massively though and I've seen my electricity bill half. It was so obvious that my provider sent an 'engineer to check on safety' at my address. It was obvious that they thought I was bypassing the meter. I simply pointed to the roof and he turned on his feet and left.
Solar panels are good if you can manage them well - do your laundry on a sunny day for example.
They stopped installing to other properties when the funding was stopped.
If government stopped the funding then why do we still pay a green tax on our bills? Oh yes that's right - it's to subsidise or pay for corporations to build electricity schemes. They get cheap or free plants and get to keep the profits and don't pay us back for the loan of money. Seriously, government are scum for that.

I still want a steam car.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they have some sort of induction charging that works as the car drives along a road it will be feasible. Scalextric without the slots!

But again, the infrastructure costs would be horrendous.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When they have some sort of induction charging that works as the car drives along a road it will be feasible. Scalextric without the slots!

But again, the infrastructure costs would be horrendous.

It's already been shown to be feasible for the majority of road users, it seems like there are lot's of luddites on here afraid of an electric future, where they won't be able to take that sniff of petrol or diesel fumes, oh, and of course, won't be able to make that 'lovely loud' exhaust noise.. I'm sure you could record the sound on yee old casette player and play it loud !! A bit like the kid at school, who strapped a cassette player to his bike, and it played the knight rider theme tune at full whack !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

looks like it's rear-ended something...

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:49 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

It's already been shown to be feasible for the majority of road users, it seems like there are lot's of luddites on here afraid of an electric future, where they won't be able to take that sniff of petrol or diesel fumes, oh, and of course, won't be able to make that 'lovely loud' exhaust noise.. I'm sure you could record the sound on yee old casette player and play it loud !! A bit like the kid at school, who strapped a cassette player to his bike, and it played the knight rider theme tune at full whack !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's been shown that the infrastucture couldn't support a mass migration to electric vehicles as well. It's not as simple as the majority only needing to drive within the vehicles (claimed) range, the issues occur when you can't and what happens when all these cars get plugged in overnight.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7