Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric mopeds. 4kw equiv to 50cc. Need a cbt. not elec bic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:58 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demand 47.20GW

Coal 5.50GW
(11.65%)

Nuclear 6.98GW
(14.79%)

CCGT 23.96GW
(50.76%)

Wind 4.11GW
(8.71%)

We're still getting 2GW from france, but are giving .65GW to the island of Ireland (North and South). Also getting 0.69GW from Belgium.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When they have some sort of induction charging that works as the car drives along a road it will be feasible. Scalextric without the slots!

But again, the infrastructure costs would be horrendous.

Solar roadways 2.0?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
When they have some sort of induction charging that works as the car drives along a road it will be feasible. Scalextric without the slots!

But again, the infrastructure costs would be horrendous.

It's already been shown to be feasible for the majority of road users, it seems like there are lot's of luddites on here afraid of an electric future, where they won't be able to take that sniff of petrol or diesel fumes, oh, and of course, won't be able to make that 'lovely loud' exhaust noise.. I'm sure you could record the sound on yee old casette player and play it loud !! A bit like the kid at school, who strapped a cassette player to his bike, and it played the knight rider theme tune at full whack !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rubbish, or the majority of road users would choose electric cars.

And luddites oppose the introduction of better technology. The only thing better from electric cars is no exhaust. Other than that they are inferior to the ICE in every respect.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
It's already been shown to be feasible for the majority of road users, it seems like there are lot's of luddites on here afraid of an electric future,

linuxyeti wrote:
Current Laughing rides :- Hyosung ST7, CFMoto CF650TR, Mash 400 Roadstar & Honley RX3 Venturer (Zhongshen RX3)

Folded arms
Never mind an electric future, what about the present? Put your money where your mouth is and then tell us about the reality. Pass the popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
As has been said it's the batteries that let them down = more so in used machines. The costs are staggering for a replacement pack and technology will have moved on..

What you need is something with a live power feed - a dodgem scooter perhaps?

Hi,
Looking at the detailed pic in the supersocco advert, it looks like just they are just standard 18650 cells contained within those batteries.
They're dirty cheap & would be relatively easy to swap out 🤔

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
As has been said it's the batteries that let them down = more so in used machines. The costs are staggering for a replacement pack and technology will have moved on..

What you need is something with a live power feed - a dodgem scooter perhaps?

Hi,
Looking at the detailed pic in the supersocco advert, it looks like just they are just standard 18650 cells contained within those batteries.
They're dirty cheap & would be relatively easy to swap out 🤔

cheers,
GAZ

I actually think electric bikes for commuters are more feasible than cars as they are getting cheap enough. 2-3 grand is acceptable for a commuter you are only going to use for work and you can easily have a second bike for fun, touring etc. Even more so if you can make up battery packs on the cheap!

It's the 20 grand plus for a boring electric car that is struggling outside the city when it's ICE equivalent is something like half the price that totally unimpresses me.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I actually think electric bikes for commuters are more feasible than cars as they are getting cheap enough.

I still remember the mauling you and the Borg gave me for suggesting the same thing Smile I see hybrids as the future for cars, and long term something like hydrogen fuel cells, as I think refueling only takes 5 minutes which's about the time most people seem to take paying for petrol/diesel anyway Rolling Eyes

With bikes I think the future is electric due to cost. Also bikes are typically ridden differently, even for Sunday riders, you can ride to a cafe, plug your bike in for ~30 mins, ride back. There might be expensive hybrid long range touring bikes or something, but I can see most bikes being electric, assuming they aren't banned by then.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I actually think electric bikes for commuters are more feasible than cars as they are getting cheap enough.

I still remember the mauling you and the Borg gave me for suggesting the same thing Smile I see hybrids as the future for cars, and long term something like hydrogen fuel cells, as I think refueling only takes 5 minutes which's about the time most people seem to take paying for petrol/diesel anyway Rolling Eyes

With bikes I think the future is electric due to cost. Also bikes are typically ridden differently, even for Sunday riders, you can ride to a cafe, plug your bike in for ~30 mins, ride back. There might be expensive hybrid long range touring bikes or something, but I can see most bikes being electric, assuming they aren't banned by then.

My caveat on electric bikes is the cost. Those zeros are stupid money. I'm only saying that I think they are feasible now because it seems you can get usable ones for 2.5k. I'm talking about having a cheap electric moped thingy solely for commuting in a city, having an ICE bike for fun and still having 5+ grand change from a zero.

I also doubt you are going to save hugely over the life of the moped when you an buy an ICE one for a grand+ less. That's an awful lot of fuel for a moped.

My welsh friend has an electric assisted push bike. Great. It is easy to charge and saves heart attacks. It's a pig to ride when the battery is flat but at least possible.

What the future brings is something very new to the transportation industry. It's a future not based on improvement and natural development, but a future based on a completely external criteria. We have never had that before.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Those zeros are stupid money.

They're like Tesla, high-end. That Supersoaker TX Max thing is 4k, does 62mph (apparently), and has the same list price as a CBR125. You'd imagine a mainstream manufacturer could produce a better bike for less.

EDIT: it seems the electric PCX isn't that much more than the regular bike?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up my mate popped round today so I got some 'real world' figures out of him. He said:

In this cold weather he loses about 50-60 miles range over mid summer. In this weather, normal driving, he gets approx. 220 miles from a full charge of the 90kwh battery compared to approx. 280 in summer. It'll go over 300 with frugal driving but he's not the sort to bother with that so he'll never find the ultimate full range possible.

The heater is 6kw at full power but you daren't use it (full power) on defrost from cold in this weather as it's powerful enough to crack the screen as some people have. He said you rarely ever need to use it on full. Like any other car heater I guess a quick blast on power then idle it down to maintain a comfortable temp.

Incidentally the battery has it's own heating/cooling system to optimise charging.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:06 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Chinese diesel heaters group on facebook there are some that are fitting diesel heaters to smaller electric cars. Makes sense also in that you can pre-heat the car.
(Though I don't know what the options are for running heaters while plugged into the mains at home - or you can just stick an electric heater in there on cable, I suppose Smile ).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
In the Chinese diesel heaters group on facebook there are some that are fitting diesel heaters to smaller electric cars. Makes sense also in that you can pre-heat the car.
(Though I don't know what the options are for running heaters while plugged into the mains at home - or you can just stick an electric heater in there on cable, I suppose Smile ).

That's going to give you a lot of brownie points with the ecomentals. Those things kick out more shit than a good car diesel.

I have a Webasto on the boat. Western made, cleaner and way pricier than the Chinese ones but even that would get the tree huggers howling with rage. Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Just to follow up my mate popped round today so I got some 'real world' figures out of him. He said:

In this cold weather he loses about 50-60 miles range over mid summer. In this weather, normal driving, he gets approx. 220 miles from a full charge of the 90kwh battery compared to approx. 280 in summer. It'll go over 300 with frugal driving but he's not the sort to bother with that so he'll never find the ultimate full range possible.

The heater is 6kw at full power but you daren't use it (full power) on defrost from cold in this weather as it's powerful enough to crack the screen as some people have. He said you rarely ever need to use it on full. Like any other car heater I guess a quick blast on power then idle it down to maintain a comfortable temp.

Incidentally the battery has it's own heating/cooling system to optimise charging.

Those are pretty good figures. 200-300 miles between charges is certainly usable. The problem I have, and will have even if I don't even think about anything else is my car will do 600 miles on a tank and when it gets low it will take 5 minutes to replenish. I just can't get my head around this 30-60 minutes with an electric car once you have found a charge point.

Maybe if I had one I'd adapt but I'm not spending Tesla money to find out if I can or not.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm not spending Tesla money to find out if I can or not.

There you go...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/HYDE_PARK.JPG