Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:57 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Clip wrote:
Hi Mafioso,
Apart from your commute (and if as you say you have no mates to ride with,) you seem stuck for different places to ride to?

When in a similar situation, I used to attend far-flung car boot sales, bid on local (50 mile radius) "collect only" ebay items, visit places asocciated with hobbies and interests....sometimes would strap a tent and dossbag on the back and go to a steam rally or summat.
I would plan the route avoiding dual carrigeways, and A roads if possible ....... being an old git able to read an OS map I would try to include steep, twisty, narrow, single-track or whatever.

I should add that I got lost frequently, but meh, I'm on a road, it leads somewhere, and I always get home. Mostly with a big smile on my face. Smile

Awesome, that gives me some ideas. Thumbs Up

Mafioso
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:11 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
If you can commute to work on a 125, 'safely' you can pass tests.

Possibly. I'm gonna wait til the weather warms up a bit and book an assessment with the school i did my CBT with and see how much extra coaching they think i need before i can do my test.

Quote:
and it is pure kiddology that some-how, you buy a bike for 'transport'... and that gives you a 'free' bike for 'toy'.... it dont.

Umm, i'm not sure where this comes from. Aside from the initial outlay the bike is already significantly cheaper than using public transport, which was my previous method. And i like to have the option of getting out of London on the weekends, and the bike also
works out cheaper and more convenient than 3+ hrs of train hopping to get where i want in those cases too.

And i'm not saying i'm overflowing with money by any means, but the running costs weren't the biggest factor in making me decide to get a bike anyway.

Quote:
Back to the commuting.... GO GET A LICENCE! as aid, if you can commute safely, you can get a licence, it aint that hard. If you cant get a licence... begs the question why are you trying to commute?

I know myself well enough to know that i learn best by doing something repeatedly instead of getting stressed by trying to get things perfect straight away with someone watching over me for mistakes. So the licence will come, i just want to get enough time and experience under my belt that it's all second nature by the time i'm in the test.

Quote:
but it was the entry point to club biking, and from the ride-outrs you had the option to join the rallies, and spend a week-end in a muddy field with a bonfire and a crate of beer...

Actually that sounds like fun. Beyond me at the moment, but stuff like that is part of why i wanted a bike to begin with. Very Happy

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:52 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risks vs Reward.. weigh them up carefully.

The risks of riding a motorbike, on average, accross all riders, means that you are something like 3x more likely to crash than some-one in a car. Now start multiplying them risks.

Risk of an accident in typical commuter traffic is something like 8x more likely....

Carry on doing the maths....

Risk that a NOVICE rider, as in one that hasn;t got 3 years of riding experience under thier belt yet, is something in the order of 10x more likely to have an accident than some-one who has got that experience...

But ugh-oh.... lets do another sum.... a LEARNER rider, with out that experience, but also without even a qualification, and likely the scantest of CBT training, and the inc still wet on thier DL196.... is EVEN MORE likely to have an accident... something like 5x more likely or so.

NOW... factor in the risks of not just commuting, not just trying to commute on L-Plates, not just on L-Plates, but in peak commuter traffic?!?!? The very fact that you aint dead yet, IS rather indicative of just how errant we are when we try and apraise risks, and actually how 'low' the base line risks actually are.... BUT... however low they may be? You are ramping them ENORMOUSLY!

Typical driver, in a life-time of motoring, by car, travels aproximately half a million miles. They are 'expected' to have between three and five 'prangs'.. mostly in thier early-years, around 3-5, on the roa, perhaps 8-10 in thier entire driving career. Thay's about, one 'accident' every 50,ooo miles or so.

On a motorcycle... on average... the typical biker will cover probably no more than 50,ooo miles. This is limited because most bikers dont ride regularly or continiousely for thier entire riding career. They are much more likely to use a bike for only perhaps a year or two, before they can afford a car or are convinced they need one to carry kids and stuff. Of those who persist or return to bikes, it is predominantly used as a part-time leisure vehicle, and many dont even clock four figure mileages between annual MOT's. The 'average' motorcycle miles is only aprox 3,ooo miles a year, compared to 4x that for a car, significantly limiting the rider's exposure to risk.

So many bikers riding purely for leisure, on Sunny Sundays and the like, limit thier risk exposure even more, not just not clocking the miles, but the miles they do clock, tend to be on rural roads, in the summmer, in good day-light, away from 'peak' rush-hour commuter conditions.

As learner... on CBT and L's, on a motorbike, YOU, are starting out, with the HUGEST risk loading against you could could possibly heap up... and rather than trying to do anything to lessen those risks, ytou seem deturmined or blithely to be trying to heap them up a bit more, adding 'Filtering' to the menu!!

NOW... have a slap on the cjops and WAKE UP!

Go get a licence!!!!!

You 'say' you plan top anyway..... well, IF you are up to hacking the daily commute, you are up to passing tests. Self booked for A1-125 licence, they cost something like £120.... so rather than trying to dodge them and making excuss for why YOU dont think they are worth it... go take them and PROVE, either that you can, and you are right, or that you are wrong, and REALLY this plan, probably isn't the 'best'.... your call.

TRAINING!!!

You 'plan' to do DAS anyway. So WHAT tghe fuck are you fucking around at you fuck-wit!!!!! (have I given enough fuicks yet?)

For gawds sake! You 'Plan' to get the liucence, via DAS, via a school, via training! So WHY the frigg aren't you? Its NOT saving you any time, its NOT saving you any money, and it sure as fuck isn';t saving you any 'Risk;!!!!!

GO DO!!!!

You say you have bo mates to ride with, and want to go ride with others... well, on training you are PAYING some-one to watch you wobble.... Its EXACTLY what you 'say' you want!

A-N-D you get to LEARN something from it, and hopefully get a licence out of it, WHICH, should get you at least out of the shark ionfecsted shallows you 'think' you are safe paddling in with a 125, on L's.... AND gets you some riding experience, and gets you some foilk who should know the score to be riding with, and who WILL give you not just places to go, but reason to go there!!!!

This plan, as you have now, is NOT a plan to get a motorbike licence... its a plan to piss around NOT getting a motorbike licence, 'hoping' to lean by the school of hrd knocks, which come hard on a motorbike... to in 'some' way build your experience... so err.. what? You dont have to feel like a school-kid doing what teacher tells you?

GO GET THE LESSONS!!!!

You intend to pay for them at some point, why wait? You are NOT learning very much by trial and error going it alone on a 125... you are JUST putting yourself in danger... and a LOT of it, and a lot more than I suspect you ever imagined...

You are alreeady riding in the crap weather! WHY do you need wait until it improved to get lessons!?!?!

Here and now, whilst the majority of dreamers with big ideas about motorbikes think like that, the bike schools are going broke for lack of business; leave it until March or April, when the sun might peer oyut from behind a cloud and a few bike migh be pulled out the garage on a Sunsay to make a racket in the street and peak people's interest, the school apointment books are likely tol go from empty to over flowing in a matter of weeks, and where, now,. this time of year you can probably not just get a course tomorrow, but they will likely offer you a 'winter discount' to crack out the credit card... in a couple of months you will bve paying full price, and being told to wait until they have a slot!

JUST go do it... NOW!

You are NOT 'Practicing' you are 'Procrastinating' and in that procrastination ramping risks trying to do stuff well above your pay-grade!

It answers the opening question "Where to go" and the follow on "Want some-one to ride with!" and all the others, like how do I ride and survive, and how do I get a licence to get a bigger bike....

It IS the answer to all you say you want, and the ONLY thing, and the only person holding you back IS YOU, looking for excuses to carry on pigging about in the baby pool, playing at it, rather than get the fuck on and actually DO it....

SO... you go do a course... and worst case... you go do course, and you dont get licence, you need more training..... boo-sob.... you are nbo wors off than you are now, BUT at LEAST you will have had some-one that knows what they are talking about, watch you wobble, and tell you what you are doing wrong so ytou can put it right, which they will probably also tell you how to do, rather than leaving you 'only' to find out by falling off, and put it right by guess work.... In teh frigging rish hour?!?!?!?!?

GO DO SOME LESSONS!!!!

Its the answer to ALL you say you are asking for, and its only YOU frinding excuses to not do them that's keeping you in THE highest risk, lowest reward place you can be, not going anywhere and just getting more frustrated by what you cant do, rather than what you can....

Worst case.... you dont get a licence... you are STILL better off for it than you are now, knoiwing WHY, best case? In a week, you COULD have a full-licence and ditch the L's and possibly be looking for a bigger bike.... but you dont know, and you would rather make excuses than go find out.

GO TO FUCKING SCHOOL!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trf.org.uk/beginners/

https://trail.trf.org.uk/2018/09/24/young-riders/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get lessons... I was in a car, behind a 125, yesterday. Ridden by someone who seemed to ONLY ride in people's blind spots (on two-lane carriageways), often just grabbing the brake and stopping an inch or two behind the bumper of a car in front. He wasn't riding like a prick, but his style of riding scared the shit out of me. He was all over the place, in blind spots and had no look-ahead. I watched him with dread, and I could only relax when he had gone down a different road.

Sometimes an instructor can give you pointers which have nothing to do with tests but which might keep you safer.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I went for a 100 mile Drive in my Jaguar (or JAAAAAG according to Clarkson) just cause I could.

And so people would see you driving it? Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mafioso wrote:

Well the backstory is that i do have friends who ride, they just don't live in London any more. Between talking to them and looking at some of the motorbike touring series on the net (since i love traveling) is what gave me the bug to get on a bike. Unfortunately the period between me deciding to do it and being able to do it was long enough that my 2 closest mates who ride both moved to Sweden.

Hence i still have the urge to do it, but no longer the community to do it with, if that makes sense.

Apart from my early days on bikes, most of my riding has been done alone. For many years, when I wanted biking company, I went to the local popular bike meeting place where I fell in with a crowd who were a good laugh, so I'd just go there for a bacon butty and a natter. Occasionally we did ride outs together, but not very often. It was more about a bit of like-minded company.

My first tour was done on my own, just a week in Wales. But first, I did a load of rides to places that interested me, mostly castles and stately homes. Sometimes I'd pay for the full look round, but more often, I just wandered around the grounds taking snaps and improving my compositional photography. That kind of got tied in with the biking then - finding the best roads and routes to get there, then having something to do whilst there.

Then I started wanting to go further afield, especially after I'd exhausted all the nearer sites of interest, and so the touring began. And whilst by this time I already had a deal of biking experience, I soon went looking for a bike that suited the touring side better.

All this was done alone. Whilst actually riding, I don't really care that I'm alone, as the riding itself keeps me engaged. Then when I get where I'm going, the places and the photography keep me engaged.

So you can start small and local, and as your biking progresses, you can extend it out with more confidence. And although you can tour on small bikes, and some here do, I'd still suggest getting your full licence and moving onto bigger bikes as your priority. Touring on small bikes can be a challenge, and sometimes that's good. But having something with more legs makes it easier to get into it in the first place I think. It's just a bit less daunting.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I went for a 100 mile Drive in my Jaguar (or JAAAAAG according to Clarkson) just cause I could.

And so people would see you driving it? Smile

Of course.

That's why it comes with heated seats, so you can still stay warm(ish) with the window open so people can see you.

Bloody privacy tinted windows. Evil or Very Mad

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mafioso wrote:

Quote:
but it was the entry point to club biking, and from the ride-outrs you had the option to join the rallies, and spend a week-end in a muddy field with a bonfire and a crate of beer...

Actually that sounds like fun. Beyond me at the moment, but stuff like that is part of why i wanted a bike to begin with. Very Happy

Nah... You can enjoy a few beers at home. I could be wrong, but I think 'club biking' is something most people tend to avoid - it's some kind of niche.

chickenstrip wrote:

Apart from my early days on bikes, most of my riding has been done alone.

^I always felt that this was the secret behind a happy riding life.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

Apart from my early days on bikes, most of my riding has been done alone.

^I always felt that this was the secret behind a happy riding life.

Most of the time, that suits me. But I think it's about the right balance. I also used to go to Wales a lot with a small group of 3 or 4, or sometimes just me and one other mate, for some proper hooning sessions. I remember those rides fondly too.
What I don't like is riding in large groups. I've done it, even organised and led such, and it's just too much hassle.

I enjoyed the Europe tours I did alone more than the one I did with a mate. I just like to be able to do what I want on the spur of the moment, and even though from the start he said he was just happy to follow me, there were some moments of tension! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
he said he was just happy to follow me, there were some moments of tension! Laughing

Just as I'd imagine. I think part of the problem is, with group riding, someone has to be a leader and others have to be followers. But only a leader type knows how to be a good follower, which causes tensions because then you have at least 2 chefs in the kitchen!

What I was thinking though, is that the Teffing was really in earnest this time, and look back to what could have inspired it, and it was surely the "club biking" reference - a course that it's only fair to warn people away from. The "brotherhood" thing - pretty weird, I would run a hundred miles from that and I think most people would. You can watch Youtube videos about that scene online nowadays. From what I gather, they talk about commitment when they want you to pay them regular money, they talk about brotherhood when they mean you have to pull a lot of dead weight (needy people, mediocre musicians, lousy mechanics, tattoo artists, etc.) And what do they really get out of it after giving all those leg-ups and paying dues? A weekend in a muddy field drinking beer....

Just wanted to offer a counterpoint to Tef's enthusiasm. Great idea to get a licence, bad idea to contemplate 4-letter words beginning with c and ending with b.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

What I was thinking though, is that the Teffing was really in earnest this time

Sorry, life's too short to read Tef's posts Laughing

Yeah, I think my club experiences are probably the same as most - a few rallies in muddy fields, a few nights down the pub, and lots of arguing in between.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:09 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Marxist..... a Grouchy one!.... "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member" Lol. But, clubs come in all shapes and sizes, and I have probably been a member of an awful lot of 'bike' clubs in my time... all of them organising events in muddy fields.... though usually sanctioned under ACU trials regs!!!!

Which is to offer little reminder, that 'Bike Clubs' aren't all Sons-of-Apethy life-style am-dram outfits..... and the smorgasbord ov'em is loaded.

Under the BMF umbrella, there are an awful lot of owners clubs for particular marques or even models of motorcycle. Some organise ride-outs, some shows and concourse, auto-jumbles or swap-meets, some 'classic' clubs I believe even have 'club' workshops, and tool-pools, and things like that.

Under the ACU, as alluded, most motorcycle 'racing' from observed trials through to tarmac road-racing, with stuff like grass-track and speed-way chucked in the mix, are all organised through 'clubs' and many don't just limit their activity to the racing; Some 'classic' race or trials clubs also organise shows or auto-jumbles, too, and the smorgasbord starts saging under the over-lap!

My local trials club, regularly organise 'Training Days' often with 'Taster' classes.. which begs mention of modern test-training, and in which the BMF, were instrumental in formalising and standardising the 'training schemes' often only offered through clubs, when Motorcycle-Schools were no more than a figment of Thatherite imagination.... which takes the topic off into the 'Political', where BMF now affiliated with MAG, actually do the lobbying on motorcycle legislation, and are normally involved in the Quangos and such, involved in it's planning.... all of which, IF you are of a mind you can get involved in, through the clubs.....

And of some pertinence, since a passing interest in 'off-roading' was mentioned, and links to the TRF or Trail-Rider's-Fellowship were offered; that one offers in micro-byte an idea of how much bike 'clubs' can have to offer. You would likely join the TRF because you like the idea of having a go at this 'green-laning' thing, and having joined, you would likely be invited to along to a group ride, on the lanes.... tong only slightly in cheek... its always good to have a spare pair of hands to haul your bike out the hole when you are bruised! Follow on from that, though, would be to attend mark-up sessions, where members, most likely the Rights-of-Way officer, would let you copy their map-markings highlighting legal and status checked unsurfaced-public-roads, onto your own... probably down't'pub, over a pint. Or at least that's how it used to be done... probably all e-mails of Memory-Map way-finder over-lays now! But still... THAT then takes you to actually status checking the trails, and 'some-one' has to make an appointment to visit the county records office and consult the 'definitive map' and and and THAT takes you into the political, lobbying against TRE's that the local high-ways dept may want to save actually going move some mud.... a-n-d, a-n-d, A-ND on it goes... from there you get to organising maintenance days, or just participating, probably turning up to a muddy field with some-one in a Land-Rover pulling a Sankey full of gravel... to be handed a shovel....or going to church hall meetings or actual council meetings to offer your vote against intended local by-laws.... which begs mention of the Lake-District-National-Parks-Authority's attempt a few years ago, to 'ban' all 'recreational' motor-vehicle use within the park boundaries... which was actually both illegal and contrary to their own 'charter', but they probably would have managed to effect through the back-door, were it not for 'The Clubs' turning out at church-hall meetings, and taking the matter up to Whitehall, to get them to back down.... which they 'sort' of did.... ish....

But even that, is but a tiny snap-shot of just how much and how wide ranging 'Club' activity, in motorcycling MAY be..... Its FAR from just all bad bands, bad-beer and bonfires in a muddy field!

So I used the term 'Club-Biking' in its most catholic sense, incorporating all forms of biking 'Clubs' not just the back-patchers.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
bad idea to contemplate 4-letter words beginning with c and ending with b.

comb? Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Bhud wrote:
bad idea to contemplate 4-letter words beginning with c and ending with b.

comb? Thinking

"Helmet hair" is a badge of honour Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

comb? Thinking

Crab Laughing

chickenstrip wrote:

Or rather, a badge of getting funny looks from the manager as you enter an art shop...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Sarcasm.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:16 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I used to wear a crash hat, in the hope of suffering helmet hair.... given my locks were bright-red and curly, and utterly un-tameable.....

Now... Hair! Ah Yes, I REMEMBER that!.... let me tell you a funny story abut Grandad's shampoo......

I actually was the first man in my family, in living memory, to pass their thirtieth birthday with hair on their head.... I was told various stories in my younger days, how baldness was associated with male virility, and after fathering two before I was 30, fully anticipated waking up that morning, to find it all on my pillow....... Most of it though, has hung around.... I THINK just to get the last laugh! It just keeps going on random holidays... it's still unruly, and 'some' of it is still sort of red! Not so much salt and pepper, but sugar and spice! Evil or Very Mad

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
bhinso wrote:

comb? Thinking

Crab Laughing

Corb?

(as in Corbyn)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2