Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car question- removing locking wheel nuts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Car question- removing locking wheel nuts Reply with quote

I've bought a Vauxhall Meriva B which has locking wheel nuts but not the thing to remove them.

I understand as it's a bit like a key so buying another set wont give me the right key to remove them.

I've seen a thing on ebay which is supposed to be able to remove them.

Has anyone done this ? Should I just take them to a garage or tyre place that may already have the tool ?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought these myself to get locking wheel nuts off my eldest daughters Citroen. They worked OK. Just make sure they are the right size for your car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voche-Socket-removal-Locking-Damaged/dp/B01LAYUNS8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548843194&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=locking+wheel+nut+remover&psc=1

I hammered them on and then used an impact driver to loosen the nuts. I found a power bar just started to chew them up.

Saying that, I took another car to a Formula 1 autocentre with 4 spare wheel nuts and they removed them when changing tyres and didn't charge me. I am a regular customer there mind.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go to Vauxhall and just order one tbh, not like you're not going to need it again. Maybe £20 if that. If there are
different patterns, they will know which you need. Certainly wouldn't trash the nuts to save a few quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-MERIVA-LOCKING-WHEEL-NUT-KEY-ALL-AVAILABLE-GENUINE-GM-FAST-DELIVERY-/361391076957

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begs the question, Why fit locks? Shocked

Smile

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:16 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I do now is take them off and bin them...after you make sure the key is there when you buy it.

Then 6 months later when you go for a puncture repair there's a locker on it Shocked The tyre guys had it off in minutes.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:40 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a rotating collar on them (pretty sure vauxhall ones will) then the tool in Pbs post probably won't work, as for ordering a new one you'll need the key code...which is in the box you probably don't have . I have tools for removing the collared nuts but it's a fairly expensive tool, as are sets which include all the permutations. if you only need to remove a single set you're better off getting a new key made here...

https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/

Used them before, new keys from nut manufacturer just by sending a pic of the nut, and pucs of ID/V5

Last edited by Monkeywrencher on 14:44 - 30 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'd go to Vauxhall and just order one tbh, not like you're not going to need it again. Maybe £20 if that. If there are
different patterns, they will know which you need. Certainly wouldn't trash the nuts to save a few quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-MERIVA-LOCKING-WHEEL-NUT-KEY-ALL-AVAILABLE-GENUINE-GM-FAST-DELIVERY-/361391076957
\

only downside to VX is you will need the security card, if you dont have this they used to charge you to get this, which had the key no for your car, then they charged you for the correct key.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:46 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
grr666 wrote:

\

only downside to VX is you will need the security card, if you dont have this they used to charge you to get this, which had the key no for your car, then they charged you for the correct key.

No wheel nut numbers on that card, it's on seperate card in the plastic box the nuts and key are in. if you don't have that the information is not recorded anywhere else.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:56 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most tyre places will take them off for about £10 per wheel around Leicester way. A friend who had the same problem with his Honda, went to the dealers. They had 10 different keys in stock, tried a few until one worked. About £16 thinking back.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10 per wheel for a 1 time removal charge or £21.50 for the proper OEM key usable forever for an additional £0.00 per use?

Okay, someone will have to explain the economics of that to me.

As for key cards... Quote as per my link.

Quote:
Brand New - Replacement locking wheel nut key.

We have access to replacement locking wheel nut keys for all numbers within the range of 100-200.

Please put a note on your order telling us which number you require. This information can be found on the security card that was supplied with the locking bolt set originally.

If you do not have the key number, don't worry we can identify which key it is by simply mailing us a good quality photo of the locking bolt .

These keys are made from Hardened Steel, and are Thatcham approved.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:27 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride_to_die wrote:
A friend who had the same problem with his Honda, went to the dealers. They had 10 different keys in stock, tried a few until one worked. About £16 thinking back.

Vauxhall has 67 keys, , but the chances of them stocking all 67 possibilities is slim to say the least, that a main dealer parts department would bring them all out and open the bags and try every one is probably less.

Last edited by Monkeywrencher on 15:29 - 30 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:29 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
£10 per wheel for a 1 time removal charge or £21.50 for the proper OEM key usable forever for an additional £0.00 per use?

Okay, someone will have to explain the economics of that to me.

As for key cards... Quote as per my link.

Quote:
Brand New - Replacement locking wheel nut key.

We have access to replacement locking wheel nut keys for all numbers within the range of 100-200.

Please put a note on your order telling us which number you require. This information can be found on the security card that was supplied with the locking bolt set originally.

If you do not have the key number, don't worry we can identify which key it is by simply mailing us a good quality photo of the locking bolt .

These keys are made from Hardened Steel, and are Thatcham approved.

It's a good price, I've bookmarked that link. the guys I've linked charge 35.99 unless you want it quick.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think it's even worth bothering with locking wheel nuts any more?

I haven't heard of wheels getting nicked for years. I don't live in Liverpool though. Wink

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:30 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I haven't heard of wheels getting nicked for years. I don't live in Liverpool though. Wink

Back in the late 90's when nearly all cars came with steels it was rife, now everything has nice wheels out of the factory it's tailed right off. When I worked at renault in MK theuy would regularly steel multiple sets off the forecourt. like you I haven't heard of it for ages.

If I remove some because the tool broke or got lost then I recommend replacing with standard nuts. som uch potential for trouble while fending off such a minimal threat.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:32 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I think for the person ordering a new car they make sense.

For me with an older car, I'd prefer to replace the locking wheel nuts with standard. The wheel looks better without an odd nut although i know nut covers are available.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few seconds with a hammer and thin bolster was usually enough to get through any locking wheel nut.... allegedly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:18 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this problem with a Civic I bought, no problem I thought, Ill pop to a Honda dealership and theyll help.

They couldnt have given less of a shit. Werent interested, wouldnt tell me which one I needed, and werent willing to let me try ones that looked right to buy the key.

So I bought one of those wheel nut removal kits posted above. Utter shite, did nothing but chew up the bolts. Maybe if you had an air powered impact driver it might do something. After fucking one bolt up royally with it I just took it to a local garage who took the 3 I hadnt fucked up off in seconds with their own tool and charged a tenner total for it. But the one Id fucked up had been slightly mishapen enough by the removal tool that their one wouldnt fit over it, so they had to weld a nut onto it and get it off that way, which ended up costing far more in labour than the kit itself did.

Lesson of the story, just pay someone else to do it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Car question- removing locking wheel nuts Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I've bought a Vauxhall Meriva B which has locking wheel nuts but not the thing to remove them.

I understand as it's a bit like a key so buying another set wont give me the right key to remove them.

I've seen a thing on ebay which is supposed to be able to remove them.

Has anyone done this ? Should I just take them to a garage or tyre place that may already have the tool ?

If it's the type which has a kind of random wiggly line that the locking key fits into and a rotating collar I removed one of these last week for my mate. I used a heavy flat bladed screwdriver as a chisel to chop off the collar then smashed a 3/4"AF 12 point socket onto the head with a club hammer, then just undid the bolt.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1