Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wide junction, "overtake" or wait?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Wide junction, "overtake" or wait? Reply with quote

Morning.

Show of hands, who would pull up next to a vehicle turning left at a junction - if you were going straight on or right?

Had an interesting discussion with a Co worker who was discusted that anyone would do it and everyone should just "wait their turn"

I found it an odd point of view but thought I'd check if it was just me!

edit: similar to the paint diagram attached (I know how important they are:) )

Caveats:
Junction easily wide enough for multiple vehicles
Applies to car and bikes
Car going left is indicating left and positioned left.

Last edited by Hawkeye1250FA on 10:34 - 31 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it, car and bike.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's space why not, both can use the same gap in main road traffic thus reducing any queue behind.
The caveat is beware of blocking sight lines, if you are second there hang back just enough so they have a clear view.
Also make you own judgement, don't assume it must be clear because they pull out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
If there's space why not, both can use the same gap in main road traffic thus reducing any queue behind.
The caveat is beware of blocking sight lines, if you are second there hang back just enough so they have a clear view.
Also make you own judgement, don't assume it must be clear because they pull out.

Agreed, all part of driving safely and courteously in my eyes.

The discussion came about because they were going straight on at a 4 way and positioned themselves to the left slightly to get a better view of the approaching road (they are quite short)

Someone behind ignored the fact they were not indicating left and assumed they were going left and "overtook" them to go straight on.

Errors from both drivers in my opinion but they didn't want to agree. All the fault of the overtaking driver apparently.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Totally agree. I hate it when I'm at a junction and someone pulls alongside and blocks my line of sight. It's just bad manners especially if he's turning left. It's easy to hang back and still see traffic.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I did it once when I was young and naive.

Sat in traffic in London, nothing moving on the carriageway across our junction, sat behind a skip lorry wanting to go left and I wanted to go straight on.

Stationary cars had left a gap to cross straight on, so I went for it. Unfortunately there skip lorry turned left as I pulled up next to it to double check for cyclists and scraped all down the side of my car as the back end swung out with the metal wheel of the skip lift.

My fault.

Yeah big lorries etc are the exception I think, leave well alone and hang back.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly reasonable to pull up alongside IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the road is there to be used, not to be needlessly queued on.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.drivewrite.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Merge-624x531.jpg

Nobody ever does that, they just form an orderly queue in one lane, then get angry at the sensible drivers who use the empty lane to zip to the front and... merge in.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Yep, the road is there to be used, not to be needlessly queued on.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.drivewrite.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Merge-624x531.jpg

Nobody ever does that, they just form an orderly queue in one lane, then get angry at the sensible drivers who use the empty lane to zip to the front and... merge in.

That happens cos people tend not to let each other in.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're trolling or not 🤣

Anyway, "flying up" is fair enough comment, no one likes a BMW speeding up the outside at a million miles per hour... "cut someone up" is also a bit naughty. However.

Everything else you've said is a bit wrong though tbh.

A) the limit of their lane is the end of it, which is where people should be merging.
B) the car being forced to brake should have left room for the car to merge in front
C) you'll disagree, and you are welcome to of course. But I believe it's the person "blocking" the second lane that is responsible for things grinding to a halt, and also people "blocking" the mergers.

👍

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a queue of >6 cars then yes, otherwise no because its almost certainly going to block a drivers ability to see and it pisses people off.
But if there is a queue, then, I don't like queuing more than I don't like pissing people off.

Don't the police call it creating a second lane or something. Or overtaking at a junction, which is deemed driving without due care or similar.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:56 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a van a lot of the time so if I was the blue rectangle, I would prevent the other vehicle seeing what was coming from their right. As such, I'd pull up alongside but keep back a bit because the red diamond will always be able to go first if his view isn't blocked. I'd need both lanes to be clear.

If I pulled alongside him (blocking his view), I'd potentially prevent him pulling out when it would have been safe to do so and thet would be FUCKING annoying.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Merging is fine, it’s the dicks who go flying right up the the limit of their lane, then cut someone up to squeeze in.

The end result is the car behind it having to brake, causing a knock on effect, until the whole approach becomes a stationary tailback until someone blocks the outside lane to get the traffic moving again.

Like, so? Thinking

*that is an actual road sign, people are taught this when getting their licence. You are supposed to use the lane as far as it goes and then merge into the moving lane. Drivers in the going lane are supposed to allow that.
https://1gr.cz/fotky/idnes/12/022/cl6/FDV413f7c_zip1.jpg

https://1gr.cz/fotky/idnes/12/022/cl5/FDV413f7a_zip.jpg

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sing is pretty much only a reminder of what you are supposed to do, meaning you do not have to do it. Long before this one there's always the blue sing that tells you the two (or more) lanes are going to merge into one.

EDIT: The law says you ''should'' do the ''zipper'' every time two lanes merge into one, regardless of whether the sing is there or not.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that is an interesting request. Given, you know far too well where I live and to what situation/legal system I was referring to. Why would I even quote US legal system is beyond me.

Anyway, the UK law system says, under rule 134 of the Highway code, that you should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

What does that tell us?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

B) the car being forced to brake should have left room for the car to merge in front

👍

Which is fine so long as everyone abides by it....

And not as the vast majority do and that is stick to the arse of the car in front and force their way in..... Thus causing the law abiding person to have to brake to avoid them.... Rolling Eyes

Going to the end of the lane is fine in very slow moving traffic, but if traffic is moving with any speed then you need to have merged by the point that you could stop before the barrier or lane end...

Common sight on M/way slip roads when traffic is busy.... Idiots merging by going over hatched markings, rather than continue to the end of the slip road...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting behind traffic turning left.
I was turning left too.
Car at give-way line rolled out to join the major road.
Then the fool got all chicken brain and jammed the brakes on....
Just as I was looking right for my space as I rolled up to the line to take my go.
Bumped the prick who stopped and the bike 'bucked me off'.
Embarassed

I pass when safe/permitted.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I was turning left too.
Just as I was looking right for my space as I rolled up to the line to take my go.
Embarassed

Poor obs Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MCN wrote:
I was turning left too.
Embarassed

Poor obs Wink

I agree with this post.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2