Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

15HP v 11HP 125's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AndyC1983
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:31 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: 15HP v 11HP 125's Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to biking having completed my CBT a couple of months ago.

My plan is to get a 125 to gain a bit of experience riding and if I find I like it then go onto do my DAS in the summer.

Most of my experience would be gained on a commute into work. This is not long but does include a stretch on a straight national speed limit road (the one out of Plymouth towards Dartmoor for those who know it).

This road is uphill, dark and often foggy / wet with potholes and I would rather not be struggling up the hill at 40 mph with cars coming behind me at 60+ in poor visibility.

As such I have been looking at the 15hp (KTM Duke 125, Suzuki GSXS125 etc) rather than the 11hp (YBR etc) learner legals.

My question is, will there actually be a noticeable difference in performance between the 15hp and 11hp bikes in my situation or is skipping a 125 and doing DAS straight away the answer?

I am not so concerned with top speed but rather acceleration up to 60 on a moderate incline.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote do DAS and pick up, say, an sv650 for less than the combined cost of the 125 and the test.

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:51 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer the 11 v's 15bhp.

Maybe do the CBT to see if you like biking and if you do, then do the DAS then you'll have no worries about traffic behind you.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't go straight to DAS, especially as you're new to biking. However, as you're only going to have it for a short while, I really wouldn't bother about the hp of a 125, and just get 1 in good condition that you can ride and gain road experience on. Pretty much all 125's will be good enough for A and even NSL roads.

However, the only caveat to buying a 125 2nd hand is, for the most part they have been ridden by novice's/CBT holders, probably poorly maintained, the gearbox has probably taken a thrashing, so, you need to take that into account, and possibly factor that into any cost on top of the cost of the bike. However, if you shop around, there are some 125's that have been looked after.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 125 is going to be working hard to keep up with the national speed limit, factor in a hill and a headwind and seeing that drop to 40mph is quite likely. You'll become expert and tucking down as low as possible to extract every last mph though Laughing

Your size will make a difference too on a hill (!) - if you're 20 stone it'll make a massive difference on a 125 compared with if you are 10 stone. If you're a larger frame, you'll also be less aerodynamic, again slowing you down. Such things become less relevant with bigger bikes, but on a 125 it really is a case of every little helps.

In terms of the power difference, I think the rule of thumb is to get a 10% increase in speed you need a 30% increase in power or something like that, so if your 11bhp bike maxes out at 45mph on an uphill road, a 15 bhp bike is probably only going to get another 6mph on top of this . . so I don't think it'll make an appreciable difference.

Crack on with your DAS and you can take your pick then. FWIW, I didn't do any 125 riding at all apart from my CBT and I didn't find it overbearing to romp through the training with a day "conversion", a day for mod 1 (then test) and mod 2 (then test) and passed first time with them all.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:11 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can safely and competently 'commute' on a daily basis, you can dang well do it just 'once' to take tests and get a full licence....

if you CANT get that full licence.... then ask yourself whether it really is such a great idea to 'commute' every day, on a 125, that, at best has barely adequate performance, without the barest of know-how to know what you are about!!! CBT is but the first lesson, it is NOT a licence!!!

That hill out of Plymouth? I spent a summer down there when I was at uni, once... it was a long time agoi!!! Is it the A38? But I know the hill. And I have ridden it, on a genuine, 12bhp two-stroke 125 'sports' bike I had at the time. Believe me you will NOT be flying up that hill on ANY 125, I don't think. You could get a learner-illegal 125 like maybe a Cagiva Mito or Aprillia RS, that have over 25bhp... and you are STILL not going to likely out-pace an Audi-Enema........

Yes, there IS a noticeable performance difference between something like a YBR and something like a KTM 'Duke'.... but in the grander scheme of all bikes, it really IS small potatoes.

My 30 year old Honda CB125, has the full quota of 12bhp permitted by the 'old' learner regs. I have verifiable GPS snail-trails that show that that bike, 'can' just about do and hold a genuine 70mph, in more ideal conditions. Other genuinely Learner-Legal offerings of modern times, with possibly the full 15bhp, 'may' be capable of nudging 80 from time to time, but again only in more ideal conditions, they will not do it anywhere and every where any time you want them to, and certainly not up that hill out of Plym, with a Blitzen-Bimmer up your chuff!

More mundane 125's, like the YBR, may claim a 65mpg top speed, but 'really' again that is only achievable in ideal conditions, and 60 is more realistic top-wack, you might see more regularly, whilst many of the generic Chinky offerings (The YBR is made in China BTW), with air-cooled derivatives of old Japanese 125 engines, de-tuned by old tooling and a bit more for modern emmission controls, are often doing well to achieve 9bhp, and even if they achieve that, many are speed limited, to an Asian market 55mph top speed... and riders, often fail to achieve even that very often, loath to 'thrash' them to get it, and riding on the gears not the revs, on some misguided notion that that's what you should do, especially if coming from cars where with a surfit of power, these days many are taught to drive like that 'for emmissions'.... which is an argument that is rather nebulous even in a car.... but still.

Little thought for you.... I recall getting stuck behind many a ballast lorry or farmers tractor 'barely' inching its way up that climb.... a 125 motorbike is NOT the slowest thing on the road..... and going faster is rarely if ever any 'safer'....

On so many counts the very question is showing so much nievity and optimism....

Yes, having an Audi trying to give you an enema is not nice.... and as a novice on any bike, not just a learner on a 125, it can be even more uncomfortable, because sat on a bike, that's probably only five feet long, less than a foot from the mirrors, with nothing around you or between you and that audicoch.. they ALL seem to be tail-gating you regardless..... and to be honest many are, because even if they aren't trying to intimidate you cos of the red-rag-to-the-bully-driver L-plate on the back, little obeys the "Two-Second-Rule" these days and maintains prescribed following distance.... but, compounding it, its almost certain that YOU will feel more intimidated still, because you don't have a safety cell around you, and from your perspective they will 'feel' a heck of a lot closer than they really are... and on low-powered little bike, even more frustrated you cant open the tap any to open to go any faster....

It is really a non-issue... picking a KTM or an R125 over a YBR, REALLY wont make a truck load of difference very often if at all.

If you WANT to make a difference.... ?Go do that DAS.... NOW not in umpety months time, get the learning to do stuff 'right' right at the start, and not have to try and learn from your own mistakes, that tend to come hard and painful and expensive on a bike!

Get the full licence via DAS, you can pick any bike you like, and as hintimated, on a full licence, the 10, 12 or 15 bhp they may have on an L-Plate, or possibly even the almost 30bhp theat learner-illegal sorts 125's might boast, is slim pickings; the quickest of the quick 125's are still only about as powerful and fast as a 30 year old Honda 250 air-cooled single 'commuter bike' like the CB250RS, or a CB250 'twin' or even a 27bhp two-stroke loonie bike like an old Suzuki X7 or air-cooled RD250..... that would still likely struggle to stay ahead of an Audi-Enema on that hill.... BUT, with a full licence you could pick almost any 'big-bike' and something like even a boring-as-feck reputation Kawasaki ER5, with a2 licence limit 45bhp, is a 120mph motorcycle (in ideal conditions) and will be able to hold 50 or 60 much more comfortably, far more often....

But STILL... even on a 120bhp hyperbike, you will get Blitzen-Bimmers trying to give you an audi-enema.... even at licence loosing velocities...... like I said, going faster is rarely if ever any 'safer'.... so its a question of learning how to spot'em, and how to deal with them, which is rarely to try do what you think they want and go faster, but learn to ride your bike and your road, your way, and mininise the hazard other traffic might be to you..... which comes from training and experience, and just a little dialing in the mind-set... NOT from what bike you may or may not pick from the brochures, or what them brochures may suggest are its vital stats by way of power and speed.

If its any solace/consolation/inspiration..... thirty years on, and I would be a tad concerned of tackling that hill, now.... with all the experience I have garnered in that time, and the qualifications to tackle it on the 125 duper-seam or my Seven-Fifty, or even, I would say, my four frigging litre V8 Range Rover! And that makes hill climbing feel a 'breeze' with the low gears and low down 'torque' the thing has! It would do that hill at the posted limit, with spare to be had! I wouldn't be so concerned trundling up that climb of getting a Hino ballast truck try remodel my parcel shelf, but, risk of an Audi Enema would still be there! And having them SMIDY me on the M5.... you would think it would be rather hard NOT to spot something that big and regular shaped, wouldn't you?

But there in lies. I seem to recall that bit of road goes two-lane, the nearside essentially a crawler lane, on the steepest length of that hill. On any bike, or in the Rangie, I would like as not be in that crawler lane, following the Hino's up at 30, letting the audicochs get on with it in the outer over-taking lane.... the Seven-Fifty, or the Rangie? Both have the 'grunt' to get in that outer-lane and join the audicochs games, and both could probably out-pace them... but? First rule of self defence? No wanna get hit, no go where fist be! No one says you have to go up that hill, or if you do, get into the game with the audicochs... and on the 125? Find a Hino and shelter in its wake!

Take your pick and pays your money.... BUT if that DAS is on the menu anyway.... may as well go get it over and done with, and get the know-how from it and be able to put it to use from the start, as well as put it to use on a likely much more powerful motorcycle.

If you HAVE to persist with the 125? Well they can be very very useful machines, and as training tools they do have a lot to offer making you learn to work for the little they offer..... BUT, absolutely no reason you have to ride one, or try and commute on one.... and if you insist on going it alone, on L's to get the experience? Think long and hard.... there's good experience and bad experience, and there's experience you can actually learn from..... and you are essentially trying to make it up as you go along, and you will only learn from your mistakes.... if you survive them! AND can work out, not just what you did wrong, but what you should have done to do it 'right'....

Your call... BUT, if you are up to commuting, you are up to taking, and passing tests.... if not up to tests, you probably aint up to commuting.... go ponder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
and something like even a boring-as-feck reputation Kawasaki ER5, with a2 licence limit 45bhp, is a 120mph motorcycle (in ideal conditions) and will be able to hold 50 or 60 much more comfortably, far more often....

And as an ER5 owner, I can say that it's a world away from a 125 . . although technically it's an "A" bike as it has 48bhp Wink The only time I've ever felt mine struggle was maintaining 70-odd mph in a 25mph headwind - when I say struggle, I had to drop out of 6th gear for a while to maintain the speed, so even then I was far enough away from the peak power that I was probably only using 30bhp at most.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: 15HP v 11HP 125's Reply with quote

AndyC1983 wrote:
My question is, will there actually be a noticeable difference in performance between the 15hp and 11hp bikes in my situation

Yes, there will be a noticeable difference.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you new to the roads? If you have driving experience I'd lean towards maybe going straight for a DAS course. It depends how your CBT went and generally how you deal with test nerves, some people fail Mod 1 multiple times.

If you were good at slow speed control and generally alright on your CBT you should be fine. The problem with 125's it's a lot of money for a few months experience, and you will be sick of the thing after a few months.

A full power 125 will be better but still slow as f**k Smile You'll have a slightly higher top speed which will help on NSL roads, but I wouldn't buy a high mileage R125 over a YBR just because of the powahhh.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

And as an ER5 owner, I can say that it's a world away from a 125 . . although technically it's an "A" bike as it has 48bhp Wink The only time I've ever felt mine struggle was maintaining 70-odd mph in a 25mph headwind - when I say struggle, I had to drop out of 6th gear for a while to maintain the speed, so even then I was far enough away from the peak power that I was probably only using 30bhp at most.

But doesn't the authority that is BCF say that all parallel twins are totally shit bikes not worthy of wasting a moment of anyone's existence on? Wink

Ive had a similar experience on a CB500S (58bhp). A world away from any 125 as you said, but coming from a bigger sports bike it'd feel very lacking at acceleration from 80mph+ and yet when ridden next to a revvy 600 sports bike, it felt more grunty and responsive around town. If you never revved an R6 etc over 6000rpm the CB would feel stronger up to the same rpm generally. Shhh let's not get into G's gearing and thrust charts though. Laughing

I had the CB loaded up with camping equipment, and was riding the A38 south of Gloucester, and on a windy day going up long gentle hills at 60mph+ I found overtaking 1-2 cars at a time needed full throttle and 7-8000rpm to get just about sufficient acceleration.

I've found a 600 sluggish too once in France in similar conditions and when not downshifting enough times for multiple car uphill overtakes.

I dare say there's times when an R1 would feel unimpressive too say 2up with luggage and trying to stay in top gear all the time when trying to overtake uphill on the motorway at 90-100mph.

There was a bloke on here once that said you need 200bhp to make fast and safe progress, maybe it's all about expectations or what you're use to, or maybe no set amount of power will ever be enough for all eventualities?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:26 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely DAS, but also wouldn't bother looking at new top end 125s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy as you're here, Varadero 125 or ER5? Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: 15HP v 11HP 125's Reply with quote

AndyC1983 wrote:
skipping a 125 and doing DAS straight away the answer?

Thumbs Up

That's the one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Paddy as you're here, Varadero 125 or ER5? Smile

Varadero, resale will be there and isn't a parallel twin.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:21 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
If you can safely and competently 'commute' on a daily basis, you can dang well do it just 'once' to take tests and get a full licence....

if you CANT get that full licence....

That depends if the tests are still a bowl of bollocks and the problem with the bigger bikes is you need to fork out more cash than is needed just to get the feel of the bike.

Then we have our little thieving chums down in London who haven't even looked at CBT easily riding around two up weaving in and out of cars.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:26 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
if you CANT get that full licence....

Jmoan wrote:
That depends if the tests are still a bowl of bollocks

The tests is the tests; and ho-hum... first one I did, was the old wobble round the block and try not to run over the chap with a clip-board on the e-stop. THAT, IMO, was a bowl of borrox! The examiner, stood on the pavement, asking you to ride around, perhaps four blocks, at best, able to only see you for, one street in four, for moments at a time, DIDN'T get to very 'rigorously' assess how you rode! So in the absence of particularly meaningful riding 'assessment' they relied quite often, quite heavily in a pretty arbitary 'attitude' test.... I think that first test, I had, I probably 'failed' before I even put the bike in gear, 'cos I had unruly red hair (Bisto ah! To have Hair again!! Lol) and a red leather Jacket with yellow stripes on the arms! "Must be one of them eLCie boys! Bloody menace! bring back National Service! Didn't do me no 'arm!" etc etc etc

I actually passed under the then new 'Persuit test', with examiner following me on another bike, telling me what to do by radio. That was a huge leap forwards, and the examiner got to see what you were doing in the saddle, and for many many more miles of the ride, which could be far more wide ranging than just the four-blocks around the test centre.

As far as I can tell, the test 'today' isn't actually an awful lot different. They have bolted on the Theory/Hazard, which, I have always been an advocate of, having had to take one to get my Learners-Permit in Canada when I was a teen. I'm not so sure they have done it all that well, though... it was a lot more comprehensive than the half dozen or so high-way-code questions the examiner used to ask you on the actual test... but they seem to have inflated it in recent years, with a shed load of enviro-mental indoctrination, like why is a tram more ecologically friendly than a car; probably to pacify the enviro-mentals... and a chunk load of first aid crud, I suspect to try and save a few penies on the hard-pressed NHS.... but meh.... they could ask you to explain Boils law with pasta shapes and a pot of glue..... might not be particularly relevant or sensible, but if that's the test, that's what choo-gotta-doo... and its not exactly high level academics!

Jmoan wrote:
and the problem with the bigger bikes is you need to fork out more cash than is needed just to get the feel of the bike.

Turn that on its head. First up, if you have to spend money to get the feel of a big bike, you NEED to spend that money to get the feel of a big bike! Its not more money than you need... its what you NEED!!

Modern test system, does 'beg' you go through a school and do a course, before tests, and use a school bike for tests.....

When I got my licence, yeah, you could go take tests, without any training what-so-ever, on, probably your own, cos you can ride it without a licence, before tests on L's, 125cc bike, and if you passed, got the Ride-What-You-Like-Licence for it...... But.... that's not 'free'.... even though it's easy to forget or ignore or diminish the costs.

I had a shed full of bikes, before I had a licence, none of which I could go take a test on! I had to go borrow a bike, to take tests on, an get it insured, for me, to do so. That was about as 'skinny' as I could do it, but it still cost. And more than I 'might' have needed, if I could have rocked up and taken the test, on, I don't know, possibly the CBX550 that was in the shed needing a new cam-chain, or the RD250 fixer-upper that had a habit of only running on one pot until it got warm, then going mental B-U-T!

Every-other motor-vehicle user has to take tests before they are allowed out on the roads on their own. And every other motor-vehicle user, pretty much has the same, in that they essentially have to pay for a training course to learn how to drive that vehicle, and get a bit familiar with it. Whether its a VW Polo, or a 75 ton artic......

The days of getting a few lessons off Dad and then turning up to do tests in his car, are long gone, I think!

When my daughter turned 17, it was actually cheaper to buy her a course of driving lessons, and pay for her tests, than it was 'just' to try and put her name on the insurance policy for my car! And that was the 'cheap' banger, Honda Chavic!

Actually, it was cheaper to give her a Honda 125, and insure it for her, A-N-D pay for a full course of bike lessons, from CBT to tests, A-N-D get her a new helmet and jacket and water-proofs, etc etc etc... than it was to get her insured on a near twenty year old Honda 1.4 Auto Chavic! I think they wanted something utterly stoopid like £2K, where for me alone, it was only about £350 a year!

So whats 'needed' and how much does it cost?

Under DAS rules, there is still no compunction to take lessons, or use a school-bike to take tests.

It IS though normally a damn site easier and for most people cheaper to go through a school and pay for the training as well as tests, they way they'd have to to get a car licence or an HGV licence or any other, than to mugger around, buying a bike, probably 'just' to take tests on, and jumping through hoops over insurance and proof of restriction and whatever else.

Jmoan wrote:
Then we have our little thieving chums down in London who haven't even looked at CBT easily riding around two up weaving in and out of cars.

Err... split that out a bit!!!!!

There's thieving scum EVERY WHERE!
There are people riding 'off-the-books' with no tax, or insurance or licence, or often even a crash-hat......
Whether they have done a CBT or not really makes little odds to that!

A-N-D... just because they do it... don't mean that they do it SAFELY! As you suggest, riding like pratts weaving in and out of cars etc etc etc.....

Take a look at UK accident stats. They aren't particularly wonderful, but still. Of half the bikes 'legally' on the road, half of them are under 125 Learner-Legals, and 90% of them are ridden on L's.... so less than half the bikes on the road, but they account for whey more than half the accidents.

More; check the stats and again, disproportionately more bikes crash on urban roads, and in peak traffic conditions than anywhere else....

Which begs the suggestion, that of 'all' these rebel-may-care idiots you suggest you see tearing around two-up on supposedly stolen skotaz .... err... well, they may be.... but..... they aren't doing it safely, and more than the fair share of perfectly legal, L-Platers, on bikes they actually own, riding solo, in approved apparel, STILL manage to get themselves mangled.... Numbers for qualified riders, getting themselves hurt, is significantly lower...... go figure.

It remains, IF you can 'safely' commute.... you can go pass the ruddy tests. You don't need do it on L's.

If you 'need' to go through a school to get familiar with the bike, then you NEED to go through a school to get familiar with the bike! Its not spending 'more' than you need... it is 'just' what you need do!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

But doesn't the authority that is BCF say that all parallel twins are totally shit bikes not worthy of wasting a moment of anyone's existence on? Wink

Ive had a similar experience on a CB500S (58bhp). A world away from any 125 as you said, but coming from a bigger sports bike it'd feel very lacking at acceleration from 80mph+ and yet when ridden next to a revvy 600 sports bike, it felt more grunty and responsive around town. If you never revved an R6 etc over 6000rpm the CB would feel stronger up to the same rpm generally. Shhh let's not get into G's gearing and thrust charts though. Laughing

Not quite sure where the irrational hatred of parallel twins comes from . . . for starters they're not all born equal as while I do like my ER5, it's hardly the most characterful engine (although it does make a nicer noise between 6k and 10k rpm) but my Street Twin is also a parallel twin, but a completely different animal in every sense. OK, so it won't satisfy those wanting a screaming 4 pot but for those who like a throbbing torquey motor, it's fab and it makes the most fantastic sound.

I think surely it's a case of horses for courses . . . the simple PT in the ER5 (and the no doubt similar engine in the CB500) is perfect for commuting and general bike use; simple, easy to work on and reasonably frugal. Like you say, the "torque" at low revs is helpful too - the ER5, while hardly a powerhorse or even a "torquey" bike by anyone's standards, will pull cleaning from just over 2k rpm. I'm sure the Honda's engine is similar.

AndyC1983
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:05 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The general consensus seems to be that there will be some difference between the 11 and 15 Hp 125's but not enough of one for what I want.

I have booked myself in for my theory test and will go the DAS route rather than getting a 125.

Thanks again.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:46 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2pence worth.

I cant comment on the differences in HP but i dont expect it will make much difference.

I currently have a Honday CB125F and for pottering to th etrain station in the morning and zipping around town it is great. Fuel consumption is great, its fun and acceleration is fine. Top speed is where is lets you down.

However as someone who has gone the 125 route before doing his full test (booked in April). I can say that is is definitely helping, getting this practice in before my test is priceless. Yes its a smaller lighter bike but everything is in the same place as a 600cc and road craft is also exactly the same.

I will find out if i can handle the additional weight etc of a big bike when i start my lesson. But honestly i am not expecting it to take long to get used to, there are smaller and weaker people than me riding large tourers etc.

My advice would be (and i have given this to a friend in a similar predicament), have a lesson on a big bike and see how you get on. If you master it quickly then you should be fine. If you find it difficult then why not get a second hand 125 for a few months to get the practice in? You probably wont lose much on it anyway.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:05 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
I currently have a Honday CB125F and for pottering to th etrain station in the morning and zipping around town it is great. Fuel consumption is great, its fun and acceleration is fine. Top speed is where is lets you down.

However as someone who has gone the 125 route before doing his full test (booked in April). I can say that is is definitely helping, getting this practice in before my test is priceless. Yes its a smaller lighter bike but everything is in the same place as a 600cc and road craft is also exactly the same.

You say it's great, what other bikes have you ridden to compare it to?

I'd have thought you'll only be able to say how useful or pointless time on the 125 was after you've done your test.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:53 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

You say it's great, what other bikes have you ridden to compare it to?

I'd have thought you'll only be able to say how useful or pointless time on the 125 was after you've done your test.

I don't think I need to compare it with anything to know I am enjoying riding it?? No doubt I will enjoy a 600 more but it does not mean I don't enjoy the 125.

No matter what, my time on a 125 won't have been pointless as it is being used to commute and also providing practice while I learn.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
No matter what, my time on a 125 won't have been pointless as it is being used to commute and also providing practice while I learn.

AOL. Going back a bit, the power difference between Yamahas:

YBR125 106kg 7.4kW 70W/kg
YZF-R125 133kg 11KW 83W/kg

18 1/2% difference. That should be noticable to most people.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not half as much as the price difference.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:01 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

A 30% weight increase will probably negate most of that additional HP.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

A 30% weight increase will probably negate most of that additional HP.

Hence working it out in specific terms (70W/kg v. 83W/kg). It's still a large difference. Power-to-weight ratio.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2