BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer - buy more external drives and simply backup what you have.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:02 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I said, a continuous loop of buying backup drives to insure against the ones that will fail. Data storage is entirely dependent on the technology that made it and in any form this has a finite lifespan.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

That's actually not best practice. Best practice is to use RAID for storage and then backups offset of the RAID. Simply creating more copies can actually be worse as you'll eventually lose track of what is where and be unsure which copy is most recent were you to have to use them. For a given number of drives you can either use them randomly or smartly.

As MarJay and I have already shown, this is a pretty well studied problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

That's actually not best practice.

It is if you know what you are doing, I learned all about backups back in the 1980's when I worked in Data Processing.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

(buying more external drives and simply backup what you have may not be best practice)

You should have backups of your backups. Nothing's sure, though, except that something can go wrong, and sometimes does. It's about risk reduction. Someone up there ^ mentioned the increased risk when changing a device in a storage array of whatever sort. True.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:02 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be philosophical at one time we had books to write data, and this data can still be read and recalled from many hundreds of years (not meaning to state the bleedin obvious here) but get my drift.

In the late 70,s / 80s I had a BBC B computer with a 5 inch floppy drive that stored KB of data. I also had a ZX81 with an external 3 inch drive. The fact is that technology moved forward to store more and more data. Now I would find it very difficult if I could find my old discs to source an old unit to recover them. And so the much talked about RAID for storage and backup will move the same way. Superseded by better technology to offer more storage and so many more TB+ to archive.

I'll bet courier265 did his backups in the 80's to magnetic tape. The fact is that we have so much data to try and keep nowadays we are victims of our own lifestyles. I have a copy of 1500 vintage cookbooks no way would I ever read them, but I store them along with TBs of music I'll never hear all of. But I am not alone, I even have two 32GB USBs on my car key ring, most people do to exchange and store data. These I know from experience fail quiet often. As people have said on here risk is a calculated thing, the thing is if you are not able to afford a RAID system, or more backup drives and supposed fail proof systems like continuous subscription to the cloud your data will become lost like the dinosaur BBC B and ZX81.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:

I'll bet courier265 did his backups in the 80's to magnetic tape.

Actually I did AND I was a BBC Micro user as well, in fact my first ever
credit card transaction was for a dual disk drive from The Data Store in Bromley.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2