Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

boot fitting questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: boot fitting questions Reply with quote

Looking at new boots,

Had a pair of Richa Drift in size 42, tiny bit tight length wise but a nice snug fit,
Replaced with some Spada boots size 43 which were crap

Looking to replace with a pair of Richa in size 43, but these feel slightly uncomfortable on length but a snug fit, size 44 fit like a pair of worn in trainers, slightly loose from being taken on and off without doing the laces so worried they'll become too loose.

what kind of fit do people go for, snug and let them wear in or comfortable to start with?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfortable but not loose. Worst experience I've had were Sidi Black Rains. Not because they were a bad boot, they were actually very good. But they were too tight across the instep for me, leading to constantly cold feet in the winter, by restricting circulation.

I used to sell Spada boots - if there's one thing Spada don't do well, it's boots! Half-hearted attempts at best then, and sounds like that hasn't changed any.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chickenstrip

I should have sent these back under warranty but had other things on my mind - waterproof boots that are not waterproof in the slightest, cracking leather despite dubbin them as recommended by spada etc

I try and go for a hiking boot fit, but having shallow feet that never happens.

in the larger size I can lift my heel within the boot, perhaps insoles would be a good plan to snug up the fit - just worried they'll bed in and be dangerously 'trainer flying off in crash' loose

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

But for hiking boots, you go a size up on just comfortable to allow for swelling feet. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of walking in your bike boots, that won't be necessary. Just go comfortable. Not loose, so it feels like your foot will lift out, not tight so they're restricting circulation. For winter boots, allow for a thick, warm sock. For summer boots, don't.

As with shoes, walk around in them a bit before you buy if it's feasible. If buying blind online, be prepared to send them back. The joys of internet shopping.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to reach inside and pull out the insoles, if they aren't glued-in. This may help a little with the fit.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

But for hiking boots, you go a size up on just comfortable to allow for swelling feet. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of walking in your bike boots, that won't be necessary. Just go comfortable. Not loose, so it feels like your foot will lift out, not tight so they're restricting circulation. For winter boots, allow for a thick, warm sock. For summer boots, don't.

As with shoes, walk around in them a bit before you buy if it's feasible. If buying blind online, be prepared to send them back. The joys of internet shopping.

Got two pairs of the Richa ones under my desk from Sportsbikeshop at the moment, 43 and 44 size wise,

Normally I'm a size 8/9 which is 42/43 so perhaps 44 is the right way to go, I use the same boots year round

Thanks

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

Got two pairs of the Richa ones under my desk from Sportsbikeshop at the moment, 43 and 44 size wise,

Normally I'm a size 8/9 which is 42/43 so perhaps 44 is the right way to go, I use the same boots year round

Thanks

Use your 'normal' size as your starting point, but remember different manufacturers will be a bit different in shape as well as size. This is where shops are a good thing, if they stock a good range. You may well find a manufacturer whose boots are generally cut better for your shape.

Currently, I'm finding A* suit me well, not so good on price! Except, sales Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Comfortable but not loose. Worst experience I've had were Sidi Black Rains. Not because they were a bad boot, they were actually very good. But they were too tight across the instep for me, leading to constantly cold feet in the winter, by restricting circulation.

I used to sell Spada boots - if there's one thing Spada don't do well, it's boots! Half-hearted attempts at best then, and sounds like that hasn't changed any.

This.

I have SIDI Vermicelli (or somefuking thing). Aparently the owner of SIDI is a vegan (WTF?) so won't use leather.
They use Lorica artificial leather.
Looks like leather but it doesn't 'wear' (bed-in) like leather.
Pros -
It doesn't grow a size with use.
It doesn't get water logged so dries out quick.
Cons -
Squeaks like a stuck pig unless you drown in WD-40. (the plastic hinges cause most of that though.)
If it's tight when new it will be tight when old too.

I have Hein Gerike Rally boots Ive worn for yeeeears. Still in great nick. Gortex and steel plates and other armour.

If I was to replace them I would struggle to find the best boot now.
Cheap is no good IMHO so I would be looking at £150+ a large sum of change.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a nine usually, bought my Sidi ST's in a nine and a half. Spot on.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything Italian will be too narrow, natural instinct is to go a size bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:16 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altbergs if you want boots that fit well Very Happy

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
Altbergs if you want boots that fit well Very Happy

That or Daytona, both can be resoled, Daytona’s are comfortable from the word go and most models have Goretex, Altbergs will need broken in, but they are good enough for the Popo to wear year round, both at the higher end price wise, but Daytona’s can be had for much less than UK price from EU, but buy before Mar 29 Very Happy

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two pairs of TCX boots. One lighter weight "waterproof" sport street style boots that I doubt are waterproof but fit prefectly with normal socks. I use these in summer or if spring / autumn weather is looking ok and temperature is decent.
The other are Goretex, heavier and slightly larger fit to use in winter with thicker socks. I also fit an extra insole in these to fill them out depending on socks I'm wearing. It's amazing how different the fit can be on slightly large boots by putting an extra insole in them.
I find sizes all over the place, even within the same brand so definitely try them on if you can. Alpinestars I'm 46, but both of the above TCX boots I have are 45 and both fit differently.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1