Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV licence fee going up again.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: TV licence fee going up again. Reply with quote

Not that I expect it affercts too many people on BCF but the Beeb is putting the licence fee up to £154.50

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47091015

Any insightful comments?

Should it just be scrapped or should we regard it as good value?

Me, couldn't really care less as my memory is terrible and I keep forgetting to renew. Whistle

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: TV licence fee going up again. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Not that I expect it affercts too many people on BCF but the Beeb is putting the licence fee up to £154.50

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47091015

Any insightful comments?

Should it just be scrapped or should we regard it as good value?

Me, couldn't really care less as my memory is terrible and I keep forgetting to renew. Whistle

BBC should be a subscription based service. They oppose this because then they would have to provide content that people want to watch, instead of compelling people to pay for the production of left wing propaganda. Obviously left wingers would subscribe to it, but that would probably cut the budget by 50%.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily junk the TV and Sky, as long as I have the internet. The wife, however, is convinced the man would seize our house and throw us in jail if we didn't have a licence. I like a quiet life, so I pay.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: TV licence fee going up again. Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
BBC should be a subscription based service. They oppose this because then they would have to provide content that people want to watch, instead of compelling people to pay for the production of left wing propaganda. Obviously left wingers would subscribe to it, but that would probably cut the budget by 50%.

This. They'll only get the message when people stop funding them. What I don't get is...

Netflix £5.99 p/m
Prime video £5.99 p/m
Now TV entertainment £7.99 or £9.99 p/m for cinema
BBC nearly £13 p/m Neutral

What are all the shills who think it's good value going on about?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: TV licence fee going up again. Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

This. They'll only get the message when people stop funding them. What I don't get is...

Netflix £5.99 p/m
Prime video £5.99 p/m

And all of the others you require internet access for, making it slightly more expensive... Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Inline with inflation."

Anyone had a pay rise recently 'inline with inflation'?

I don't understand economics at all.
If a government are he'll bent on raising revenue by increasing taxes but the people who pay the taxes have less and less value in their salary will the government eventually be sacked (revolution) or do we go back to serfdom and peasantry?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/#

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder."

The telly is shite. Not watched anything of interest on it since Terry Wogan narrated Eurovision. 😁

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
"Inline with inflation."

Anyone had a pay rise recently 'inline with inflation'?

I don't understand economics at all.
If a government are he'll bent on raising revenue by increasing taxes but the people who pay the taxes have less and less value in their salary will the government eventually be sacked (revolution) or do we go back to serfdom and peasantry?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/#

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder."

The telly is shite. Not watched anything of interest on it since Terry Wogan narrated Eurovision. 😁

People aren't interested in what the BBC is offering. E.g

Eating With My Ex 2. Will Luke’s ex reveal what really went on in Zante? [Two men]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06y71gz/eating-with-my-ex-series-1-episode-2

Is this sexual harassment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06x0jv5/is-this-sexual-harassment

Alt-right: Age of rage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06y74zp/altright-age-of-rage

Focus. Intersex surgeries
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06ybyrl/focus-intersex-surgeries

I'm not personally opposed to these programmes but I suspect 99% of people in the country wouldn't be interested.

M.C wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Netflix £5.99 p/m
Prime video £5.99 p/m

Youtube: Free
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paedophile protectioneers.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
And all of the others you require internet access for, making it slightly more expensive... Wink

Steal your neighbours Razz

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Youtube: Free

https://www.youtube.com/premium Whistle

You missed out the gripping 'Bats, balls and Bradford girls' https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06vfxwh/bats-balls-and-bradford-girls Folded arms That's the problem with the BBC, they have no incentive to make/cover stuff people want to watch.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusually just watching 10pm News and they are so hard up the desks and chairs have all been sold by the look of it.
They can now hardly go a day without regurgitating vegan or climate activist propaganda so won't get a license fee from me next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth every penny. It’s more than TV. The websites are great, iPlayer, podcasts and radio services - local and national.

I don’t begrudge it. I’d hate it to carry advertising or a paywall.

Go beeb Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's why it should be a subscription service, rather than forcing everyone to pay for it even if you don't watch any BBC content. The only good thing about the bbc site is the lack of ads, the content is garbage, the sport sites full of women's sport and NBA/NFL, and their news stories... well there's a dedicated topic on it Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:48 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is forced to buy a TV license.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Your stack of letters suggest otherwise Wink A friend was investigated because like everyone else under 30 he watches Netflix, and I've heard stories of BBC Nazis telling people they need a licence for Netflix.

But I meant those with freeview, Sky, Cable who don't watch any BBC stuff. If you could buy a TV with BBC shite disabled I would.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ste wrote:

Your stack of letters suggest otherwise Wink A friend was investigated because like everyone else under 30 he watches Netflix, and I've heard stories of BBC Nazis telling people they need a licence for Netflix.

But I meant those with freeview, Sky, Cable who don't watch any BBC stuff. If you could buy a TV with BBC shite disabled I would.

No it doesn't, it says they want you to buy a licence.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ste wrote:

It's not for just BBC.
They want a licence for any live tv so perhaps live tv is live tv.
Is Netflix live?
Not sure as I blocked that shite 12mths after I started it.

I think that is a Broadcasting rule. As opposed to money grubbing.
Like needing a licence for radio controlled models and some walki-talkies.
But I understand that is to control interference from over-crowding the ether.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:15 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ste wrote:

Your stack of letters suggest otherwise Wink

The stack of letters hasn't forced me to buy a TV license.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the British Broadcasting Corporation.'

The way they aggressively pursue people doesn't seem like a friendly suggestion to buy a TV licence...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
'Income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the British Broadcasting Corporation.'

The way they aggressively pursue people doesn't seem like a friendly suggestion to buy a TV licence...

I had a licence bloke knock on my door a while back. He was very pushy verbally but went away when I told him 'no, I don't have a TV' and 'no, you aren't coming in the house to check'. I haven't had a letters from them since.

I'm glad wifie wasn't there though. A bit like Shaggy's missus, she would freak if she knew we didn't have a licence.

Just keep an eye out for.......

https://media.gizmodo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/tv-detector-van.jpg Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even know how to pay.
I think the last licence I bought was in the 90's.
They dont send me any letters and I cant ever remember anyone turning up at the door either. I dont watch any BBC content live anyhow, it's all shite. I have no problem morally, not paying.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: TV licence fee going up again. Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

On Brexit, BBC (radio) is mostly right wing propaganda, or a channel for Brexiteers to broadcast lies unchallenged.

I don't watch BBC of any kind. I couldn't really care less if it didn't exist.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:09 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it? The only bits of BBC radio I hear are Radio 2, normally talking about some obscure depressing shit, and radio 4... which isn't right wing at all Smile

I thought LBC was the Nazi station?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:08 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Is it? The only bits of BBC radio I hear are Radio 2, normally talking about some obscure depressing shit, and radio 4... which isn't right wing at all Smile

I thought LBC was the Nazi station?

The thought of paying Jeremy Vines wages makes me feel abused.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4