Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV licence fee going up again.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:23 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Come on, use a bit of common sense.

Yes do Eh? They don't give a f**k about providing content that would actually appeal to the vast majority of people, why would they give a shit about who is in government?

If any government tried to cut them off they'd be cries of censorshiiiiiip. I think the real issue is you thought they were a government mouthpiece for some baffling reason and are wrong, therefore anyone else who sees the obvious left wing bias in their content must also be wrong Confused

Obvious left wing bias? Bollocks, British society is still quite heavily right-leaning, just look at the political landscape.

What you really mean is that the BBC is doing what it has always done, is hasn't changed much at all. Yes they may be producing trash TV at the moment but there is no supreme left wing lliberal agenda. The problen is that society has changed to become more hostile, more socially conservative and generally more bigoted toward anything that doesn't meet the status quo. Read my above response to mpd 72. BBC has had non-white, disabled and non-status-quo characters for years, nothing has changed in that regard.

What sinister reason do you think the BBC would be going into liberal left wing overdrive anyway? What bad scary thing is happening to society? Nothing much, as far as I can tell. The only thing that has happened is a rise in rabid right wing media hysteria, and rabid right wing youtube channels which seem to think everything in the western world is a liberal conspiracy, a conspiracy which is yet to have any large-scale effects whatsoever. People are going crazy over the left wing liberal menace, yet in everyday society it barely exists! A couple of news articles and viral social media campaigns about that one guy who got a sex change and adopted five gender-netural kids is all it takes to make everyone think the whole western world has fallen.

This nonsense reminds me of the way the right wing rose to power in the 50s and 60s in certain parts of the world, using liberalism and communism as an abstract object of fear for people to turn against. In the modern world the object of fear is liberalism and 'left wing' ideals, which barely exist, while right wing governments and corporate interests pull all the strings. Population control at its finest.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine question, over what time span are you assessing the BBC?
10yrs, 20yrs, 50yrs based on personal viewing?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
No, the problem is that you and seemiengly most of society has been pushed into thinking right wing conservative values and near-bigotry are the norm.

BBC has been 'progressive' for years, just nobody cared before. Blue Peter always had the superhero disabled kid featured doing some lame performance. Top of the Pops was over-represented by non-white artists. Every TV show I ever saw as a kid wasn't remotely representative of the majority white British populace. Konnie Huq, Dave Benson Phillips, Trish Cooke, Josie d'Arby, Angellica Bell. So much BAME it would look like a leftist liberal conspiracy in today's Britain!

And now yo think that a female Doctor Who and a few gay characters in your favourite TV shows is a sign of the BBC suddenly becoming a bastion of everything that's wrong with society. Perhaps the real issue is that you're such a sucker to rabid right wing press hysteria that you actually believe the shit that gets printed. As far as I can tell, nothing drastic has really happened as far as BBC output goes. You just can't separate fact from fiction, so of course the entire of western society has become a left wing liberal deathscape, of course!

Eh? Progressive was Star Trek, with a 'diverse' cast in the 60s. I don't remember the BBC looking how it does now in my lifetime.

Lord Percy wrote:
Obvious left wing bias? Bollocks, British society is still quite heavily right-leaning, just look at the political landscape.

What you really mean is that the BBC is doing what it has always done, is hasn't changed much at all. Yes they may be producing trash TV at the moment but there is no supreme left wing lliberal agenda. The problen is that society has changed to become more hostile, more socially conservative and generally more bigoted toward anything that doesn't meet the status quo. Read my above response to mpd 72. BBC has had non-white, disabled and non-status-quo characters for years, nothing has changed in that regard.

What sinister reason do you think the BBC would be going into liberal left wing overdrive anyway? What bad scary thing is happening to society? Nothing much, as far as I can tell. The only thing that has happened is a rise in rabid right wing media hysteria, and rabid right wing youtube channels which seem to think everything in the western world is a liberal conspiracy, a conspiracy which is yet to have any large-scale effects whatsoever. People are going crazy over the left wing liberal menace, yet in everyday society it barely exists! A couple of news articles and viral social media campaigns about that one guy who got a sex change and adopted five gender-netural kids is all it takes to make everyone think the whole western world has fallen.

This nonsense reminds me of the way the right wing rose to power in the 50s and 60s in certain parts of the world, using liberalism and communism as an abstract object of fear for people to turn against. In the modern world the object of fear is liberalism and 'left wing' ideals, which barely exist, while right wing governments and corporate interests pull all the strings. Population control at its finest.

Was BBC News always full of daily stories about how <insert group> was being discriminated against? Do you really think that has no effect? I'm seeing it, people on all sides becoming more racist and intolerant, and it's the left doing that by constantly telling us we're different. The only way it's the right is if this is all a right wing conspiracy, and they're deliberately funding the left to try and divide people, which's a bit tin foil hatish even for me.

Also with the BBC, see how often their 'stars' turn up at left wing events, perve over their social media and you'll see their political views. The only other sector that has the same level of political bias is Hollywood, again have a perve, you'll see they all think the same way.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Percy it was you who was going on about sjw advertising on here, and I thought Eh? then I stared to see it after a while.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:42 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Denying the MSM in this country on the whole has a left wing bias is beyond blinkered.

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Media-Bias-YouGov-poll.png

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:51 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M.C.

Regarding BBC News bias, consider this:

Here we have mpd72 and yourself claiming it's a left wing mouthpiece.

Whenever I'm back visiting my parents, my dad consistently complains that the BBC has been overtaken by Tories. Poignant example here.

As I've said before, it seems to me that the BBC is doing a fine enough job, the real problem is that society is now so divided that it's bloody hard for the BBC to broadcast material that will make everyone happy.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
@M.C.

Regarding BBC News bias, consider this:

Here we have mpd72 and yourself claiming it's a left wing mouthpiece.

Whenever I'm back visiting my parents, my dad consistently complains that the BBC has been overtaken by Tories. Poignant example here.

As I've said before, it seems to me that the BBC is doing a fine enough job, the real problem is that society is now so divided that it's bloody hard for the BBC to broadcast material that will make everyone happy.

Well your dad like you doesn't have a clue Wink We have lots of right wing media, the Daily Mail etc., we were specifically talking about the BBC which as a publicly funded organisation shouldn't have any agenda.

P.S. we're talking about media, possibly governmental bias and you post an RT article? Eh?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd stated that British mainstream media is left wing biased. I was showing him the error in his ways.

As for the BBC, no it simply isn't a left wing liberal mouthpiece, I have no idea where peoople get this belief from. The only reason I can think of is the glut of alt-right youtube channels that claim everything in modern western society is a liberal SJW conspiracy of some kind. The amount of opinions people are coming out with these days (especially you) which sound like they're taken directly from these deliberately hysterical, wannabe intellectual youtube channels fronted by opinionists with no formal knowledge on the subjects they're talking about, it's quite amazing.

By the way, you claiming that myself and my father "don't have a clue" has about as much weight as me saying the same of you. An absolute non-argument.

And you still haven't answered my question yet. For what reason do you think the BBC might be left wing biased? Is there a sinister plot to do A Bad Thing to the country via left wing indoctrination? Who's pulling the strings? Why do they do it?

There's a far more credible line of reasoning for why the BBC might have a right wing bias, namely that it's funded by the Tory government.

But I'm not making that argument, I'm arguing that the BBC has no major bias in any direction at all, it's just having a hard time finding content to keep everyone happy at once.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, some slightly heavier reading for you you attempt.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/21191/economics/media-bias-in-the-uk/

It interestintly points to the issue of the BBC too:

Quote:
What about the BBC’s independence?

The BBC are independent and go to great lengths to give both sides of the debate. Personally, I believe the BBC is a big boon to press coverage in the UK. I fear what would happen if the BBC lost independence and became owned by rich individual (like Fox News / Sky News)

However, in determination to give balance, opinions are often presented as fact and equal weighting given to misleading information. The downside of giving 50/50 split is that there is often no attempt to evaluate the relative significance of an argument. 90% of economists were opposed to Brexit, but the BBC is contractually obliged to give 50% weighting to the minority of Brexit economists who supported Brexit. When the Conservative claim Labour borrowed too much, there was rarely any attempt to put into context, such as showing national debt as % of GDP since the war.

Just because 1% of scientists say Global warming is a hoax, doesn’t mean you should give 50% equal weighting to criticism of global warming.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting image is this.

Note how the majority of right wing publications are in high circulation. There are only two or three major left wing papers - the Mirror, Guardian and Independent. Another example of clear right wing bias in UK mainstream media.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/6f45cc0c/dms3rep/multi/tablet/Media+Bias+Table.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
mpd stated that British mainstream media is left wing biased. I was showing him the error in his ways.

Define mainstream. The BBC and ITN have daily minority diversity hardship stories.

Lord Percy wrote:
As for the BBC, no it simply isn't a left wing liberal mouthpiece, I have no idea where peoople get this belief from. The only reason I can think of is the glut of alt-right youtube channels that claim everything in modern western society is a liberal SJW conspiracy of some kind. The amount of opinions people are coming out with these days (especially you) which sound like they're taken directly from these deliberately hysterical, wannabe intellectual youtube channels fronted by opinionists with no formal knowledge on the subjects they're talking about, it's quite amazing.

I find opinion pieces boring Sleeping and don't watch any of them, but as you want to personalise this, I've no idea where you sit, one minute you're attacking transsexuals, then defending them, one minute you're going on about 'poverty' issues then you come out with tirades like this.

If you watch/watched Family Guy and I said you were like Brian I think you'd know what I mean.

Lord Percy wrote:
By the way, you claiming that myself and my father "don't have a clue" has about as much weight as me saying the same of you. An absolute non-argument.

Confused So I can say one other person I know feels the same way as me and that counts as confirmation does it? I've not met anyone else who thinks the BBC is right wing like you and Percy senior apparently do.

Lord Percy wrote:
And you still haven't answered my question yet. For what reason do you think the BBC might be left wing biased? Is there a sinister plot to do A Bad Thing to the country via left wing indoctrination? Who's pulling the strings? Why do they do it?

I thought they were rhetorical questions Eh? The BBC has been taken over by lefties, its hardly a secret, and the left feel their narrative is gospel. Never mind if it's based on BS and is divisive, we only care about that when it's coming from a right wing mouth, as highlighted by the daily MPD vs The World battles on here.

Lord Percy wrote:
There's a far more credible line of reasoning for why the BBC might have a right wing bias, namely that it's funded by the Tory government.

No there really isn't, beyond publicly funded > coalition government. When Labour were in power were they a WhereverNewLabourSits wing mouthpiece? I don't remember any bias back then, I remember seeing stuff about Zimbabwean farmers getting attacked and having their farms taken off them, the only mention I've seen recently on the BBC site was an article trying to debunk the S.Africa situation, as I said before the only other news site I've seen reacting to the right is The Guardian. Wait are they right wing?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Note how the majority of right wing publications are in high circulation. There are only two or three major left wing papers - the Mirror, Guardian and Independent. Another example of clear right wing bias in UK mainstream media.

Can you include circulation figures for those please, both print versions and online?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Can you include circulation figures for those please, both print versions and online?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation#2010_to_present

Online, no idea. I'd bet the Guardian is one of the most widely circulated online, their articles seem to appear everywhere. Daily Mail probably comes a close second.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M.C

It isn't only myself and 'Percy senior' who think the BBC have a right wing bias.

Firstly - I'm repeating this for the third time now - I've said many times that I don't think the BBC has any distinct bias at all.

Secondly, the example of my father thinking the BBC is right wing biased was supposed to be a quick illustration of how not everyone believes the BBC is a left wing mouthpiece. If you want more general examples, I saw on a Facebook post just today, some folk were complaining about the BBC being a Tory weapon. There are loads of people who think it's a right wing propaganda machine.

Your claim so far is that the BBC is left wing, and that's it, a claim based on a few examples. Plenty of people claim the exact opposite, using their own handful of examples, so my point is proven. BBC outputs all that it can in an increasingly divided society, so always people will find something to be unhappy about. This is something else I'm repeating now for the third time.

I don't understand the relevance of the quote you fished out from a year ago (why and how have you got that memorised?!) or how it relates to issues of poverty.

Also I've never attacked transsexuals. I made the SJW nonsnese thread to talk about and ridicule SJW nonsense. There's a clear difference between SJW hysteria and real people in society who are genuinely dealing with gender and sexuality issues. I kind of regret making that thread now because it's long since turned into a festering pit of bigotry on every other page.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
@M.C

It isn't only myself and 'Percy senior' who think the BBC have a right wing bias.

Firstly - I'm repeating this for the third time now - I've said many times that I don't think the BBC has any distinct bias at all.

Secondly, the example of my father thinking the BBC is right wing biased was supposed to be a quick illustration of how not everyone believes the BBC is a left wing mouthpiece. If you want more general examples, I saw on a Facebook post just today, some folk were complaining about the BBC being a Tory weapon. There are loads of people who think it's a right wing propaganda machine.

Your claim so far is that the BBC is left wing, and that's it, a claim based on a few examples. Plenty of people claim the exact opposite, using their own handful of examples, so my point is proven. BBC outputs all that it can in an increasingly divided society, so always people will find something to be unhappy about. This is something else I'm repeating now for the third time.

I don't understand the relevance of the quote you fished out from a year ago (why and how have you got that memorised?!) or how it relates to issues of poverty.

Also I've never attacked transsexuals. I made the SJW nonsnese thread to talk about and ridicule SJW nonsense. There's a clear difference between SJW hysteria and real people in society who are genuinely dealing with gender and sexuality issues. I kind of regret making that thread now because it's long since turned into a festering pit of bigotry on every other page.

You said before you previously thought the BBC were right wing, and it's not a few examples, there are daily examples... I created a topic about it. Pretty much all my news posts in your SJW thread come from the BBC... and there's no bias? Eh?

I remembered the quote because it shows how quickly you switch sides whenever it suits you, with the trans debate you've agreed with me and I'm fairly sure Kal thinks I was attacking the trans community...

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/6f45cc0c/dms3rep/multi/tablet/Media+Bias+Table.jpg

That is a really interesting image and I enjoyed looking at it.
Could we maybe do a similar table but with BCF members instead of the papers?
Not only would that milk the lolcow, but would be useful for noobs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4