Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Guy puts PS4 through self checkout as fruit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Guy puts PS4 through self checkout as fruit Reply with quote

As initially reported in L'Est Républicain, a 19-year-old man was convicted on Jan. 24 for pretending a PlayStation 4 was produce at a supermarket in Monbeliard in eastern France. Easy mistake to make.

Only this man made the same mistake twice, which suggests it probably wasn't a mistake, but a nefarious plan to buy consoles at fruit-and-vegetable rates.

That's right, the man in question did this twice. Only the second time he was caught. Apparently he stole the consoles to help pay for a ticket back to Nice.

According to reports, he was sentenced to four months in jail.

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/man-paid-11-for-a-ps4-by-pretending-it-was-fruit/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be illegal. They agreed to sell the product at that rate. They could have withdrawn it from sale at the checkout but didn't do so. He agreed to buy a Playstation wrongly labelled as a fruit, both parties were happy with the transaction at point of sale.

Self service machine? Oh well that's the downside of automation Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone tried something similar in a supermarket close to me recently. Apparently, they attempted to put some ipad tablets through as apples.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not come across a supermarket yet where you can bang a PS4 in the trolley to pay for it at your leisure.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:02 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Shouldn't be illegal. They agreed to sell the product at that rate. They could have withdrawn it from sale at the checkout but didn't do so. He agreed to buy a Playstation wrongly labelled as a fruit, both parties were happy with the transaction at point of sale.

That's not the case though, he took the console weighed it as fruit and paid for it as such, the store hadn't mislabelled anything. it probably worked like tesco here, you weigh the produce and it produces a barcode to scan. which he then stuck on the console so the person supervising the checkouts could see him scan the box and get a beep.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did exactly what the general public generally do, not think about what's right or wrong, only what he could get away with.

ಠ_ಠ

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

That's not the case though, he took the console weighed it as fruit and paid for it as such, the store hadn't mislabelled anything. it probably worked like tesco here, you weigh the produce and it produces a barcode to scan. which he then stuck on the console so the person supervising the checkouts could see him scan the box and get a beep.

Yes he found a trick where he could get Tesco to sell him a high value item for less. Tesco are quite happy to manipulate things to their own advantage and what he did isn't much different. Had they employed a checkout person this would not have been possible, so this is really just the cost of doing business. Anyway PS4 usually have security tags which prevent this, again a fail by Tesco.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Yes he found a trick where he could get Tesco to sell him a high value item for less. Tesco are quite happy to manipulate things to their own advantage and what he did isn't much different. Had they employed a checkout person this would not have been possible, so this is really just the cost of doing business. Anyway PS4 usually have security tags which prevent this, again a fail by Tesco.

And again, I've still never seen a PS4 that you can stick in your trolley without paying for it immediately, in any supermarket. Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco's, etc.

By doing what he's doing, and misrepresenting what he's attempting to pay for, it's fraud, and no different to these 'asylum' seekers that aren't really 'asylum' seekers.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
Someone tried something similar in a supermarket close to me recently. Apparently, they attempted to put some ipad tablets through as apples.

That's where they went wrong. Should've done it with BlackBerry's and fruit.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

And again, I've still never seen a PS4 that you can stick in your trolley without paying for it immediately, in any supermarket. Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco's, etc.

By doing what he's doing, and misrepresenting what he's attempting to pay for, it's fraud, and no different to these 'asylum' seekers that aren't really 'asylum' seekers.

You seem OK with the BBC claiming to sell impartial broadcasts which later turn out to be extremely biased though Wink

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pay for a TV licence Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Wink
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Genius.

If only he didn't go back to try it again. Rolling Eyes Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
M.C wrote:
Genius.

If only he didn't go back to try it again. Rolling Eyes Laughing

That's rule #1 of thieving.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Don’t worry, the rest of us make up the short fall for people like you.

You’re welcome.

You pay for me not to watch the BBC? That's nice.

My tax subsidised your undeclared earnings. You're welcome.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:39 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
both parties were happy with the transaction at point of sale.

Laughing

No they weren't.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Yes he found a trick where he could get Tesco to sell him a high value item for less.

A trick? Confused It's more commonly known as theft and is no different to walking straight out the door after making no attempt to pay for the item.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Tesco are quite happy to manipulate things to their own advantage and what he did isn't much different. Had they employed a checkout person this would not have been possible, so this is really just the cost of doing business. Anyway PS4 usually have security tags which prevent this, again a fail by Tesco.

Is that how you justify it to yourself when you steal?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about security tags. Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there one with bananas a few years back?
Some supermarket was giving out reward points and someone worked out if they bought so many bananas they could profit from it.

I could be imagining it though Sad

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
both parties were happy with the transaction at point of sale.

Laughing

No they weren't.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Yes he found a trick where he could get Tesco to sell him a high value item for less.

A trick? Confused It's more commonly known as theft and is no different to walking straight out the door after making no attempt to pay for the item.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Tesco are quite happy to manipulate things to their own advantage and what he did isn't much different. Had they employed a checkout person this would not have been possible, so this is really just the cost of doing business. Anyway PS4 usually have security tags which prevent this, again a fail by Tesco.

Is that how you justify it to yourself when you steal?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about security tags. Laughing

If Tesco were unhappy why did they accept payment at point of sale? Laughing

Is that how you justify it to yourself when you murder and rape children Ste? Wink Oh you don't baseless assertions eh?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:38 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every high value item I have seen in a supermarket has been security tagged, this would require human intervention to deactivate. That person I would have thought would have checked that it has gone from properly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:49 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
If Tesco were unhappy why did they accept payment at point of sale? Laughing

They accepted payment for fruit. Wink
chris-red wrote:
Every high value item I have seen in a supermarket has been security tagged, this would require human intervention to deactivate

There's plenty of electronics in the big Tesco near here that aren't security tagged or spider wrapped. Who knows how they decide what to security tag and what not to. But if wanting to steal something that's tagged, I'd go for walking out the shop with it at the same time as a few other customers who've each with a trolley of legit shopping. Laughing

I think I'd be happier doing that than putting a PS4 through the self checkout as fruit. Dunno, but if you're leaving the store at the same time as some other customers, the lone security guard isn't going to know who to look at. The other customers aren't going to stop because they've just been through the checkouts and paid so the beeping security towers can't be anything to do with them.

When I write it out like that, it sounds really easy. Laughing The only bit I can't figure out is where to hide it because you'd need to make some attempt to conceal it rather than just casually strolling out the door with it under your arm. Shocked

From a quick bit of Googling, on Amazon or eBay you can get magnets for removing those security tag things. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1