Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

white van man V Deliveroo riders...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

This. If you don't like the shit job, do something else. Screaming gimmiedat while blocking people who also trying to make a living just makes you a cnt.[/quote]

Hi,
People don't choose to do sh*t jobs, sometimes it's all they can get to earn a crust.
The "I'm all right Jack, attitude in this country saddens me ".

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Is the protest outside Deliveroo headquarters?

No, the headquarters are on the corner of Pentonville Rd and Amwell street, well that's the recruitment office.

The Protest took place at Upper Street.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:38 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

Hi,
People don't choose to do sh*t jobs, sometimes it's all they can get to earn a crust.

A lot of companies find it really hard to get anybody half competent willing to actually work with some loyalty right now.
Further - there are also jobs in plenty of other areas that aren't one of the most expensive cities in the world.
If people didn't take or stick in unsustainable jobs in the first place, they would be forced to offer better terms.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
stirlinggaz wrote:

Hi,

A lot of companies find it really hard to get anybody half competent willing to actually work with some loyalty right now.
Further - there are also jobs in plenty of other areas that aren't one of the most expensive cities in the world.
If people didn't take or stick in unsustainable jobs in the first place, they would be forced to offer better terms.

I thought Deliveroo were national? There's an issue with companies that have self-employed staff when they obviously aren't.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I thought Deliveroo were national? There's an issue with companies that have self-employed staff when they obviously aren't.

Self employed, another way to get out of paying sick pay, holiday pay, workplace pension, NI contributions and all the shit real emplyers are stuck with.

It's as bad as zero hours when used in that way.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I worked with got sacked, which was unjustified but whatever, and ended up having to work for deliveroo. It was actually a very similar job except now instead of cycling around London in company branded uniform, waiting for a job to come through on a PDA, he was cycling around London in a different company uniform, waiting for a job to come through and was self-employed apparently.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:07 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Also an issue with people taking unsustainable jobs.
Now, if they were lied to about the realistic outcomes - quite fair to be annoyed. But I'd suggest the best course of action is to leave the job and encourage others to fully understand the situation before they sign up.

They only run in parts of major cities it seems: https://roocommunity.com/zone-maps/
I didn't actually check, but presumed this protest was in London.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh huh It's such shite work that people sub let their delivery job out so that illegals and undesirables can earn without showing ID

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Was he paid commission only for both jobs, or did the employed one carry a basic + commission, with set hours?

The employed one was a full time contract, which I'm fairly certain most people would take. For every person cheerfully supplementing their income, there are 10 struggling just to make enough to survive.

G wrote:
Now, if they were lied to about the realistic outcomes - quite fair to be annoyed. But I'd suggest the best course of action is to leave the job and encourage others to fully understand the situation before they sign up.

Yeah there's a topic on here about the realities of Deliveroo. They used to advertise near to us to try and lure people and I think they were saying £15 an hour or something (nearly double our hourly rate)... maybe a cycle courier in Soho is earning that, a quick Google suggests it's more like ~£7 p/h and 13k annually.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:
Was he paid commission only for both jobs, or did the employed one carry a basic + commission, with set hours?

The employed one was a full time contract, which I'm fairly certain most people would take. For every person cheerfully supplementing their income, there are 10 struggling just to make enough to survive.

G wrote:

Yeah there's a topic on here about the realities of Deliveroo. They used to advertise near to us to try and lure people and I think they were saying £15 an hour or something (nearly double our hourly rate)... maybe a cycle courier in Soho is earning that, a quick Google suggests it's more like ~£7 p/h and 13k annually.

Not so hot when you think of fuel and maintenance requirement for the mopeds on top of everything. Do they have to rent the food boxes as well?!!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They buy them, £50 for a spaz box https://deliveroorider.com/category/kit Neutral Another really weird thing with the company I worked for, the gear was branded with their logo, so they paid for it.

EDIT: it might have changed 'The same driver said they normally only manage one delivery per hour meaning a £8 an hour wage under the old system and £4 under the alternative system.' Amazing Neutral
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:48 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Deliveroo workers are paid commission only for jobs they do at hours they pick and choose.

Can they pick and choose them?
Many of the issues is that they effectively aren't self-employed, because they can't choose things like that.
Of course, again, I'd suggest knowing this from the outset, they shouldn't accept the job.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:
Deliveroo workers are paid commission only for jobs they do at hours they pick and choose.

Can they pick and choose them?
Many of the issues is that they effectively aren't self-employed, because they can't choose things like that.
Of course, again, I'd suggest knowing this from the outset, they shouldn't accept the job.

That was what the Judge said about Uber. Basically called the working practices a scam.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

I'm led to believe you pick when you want to work and just log into the app when you want work
There is no set hours or rota system, but I'm guessing that work will be easier to come by in the evenings and weekends.
For this reason they are self employed. You can't have them as employees when they work if and when they want.

But you can employ as many as you want meaning you overload the system so there are no delays for deliveries but no one earns that much money. It doesn't matter to derliveroo. They recruit with no risk to themselves, no outlays, no workers rights.

It's an employers scam, end of.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bleeping out / censorship in that video than in a Radio 1 rap track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
And there's why one is self employed and one employed. Deliveroo workers are paid commission only for jobs they do at hours they pick and choose. That's being self employed in my book.

Read the link I posted above. Also have a read of this... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47110934
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4