white van man V Deliveroo riders...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Green made the same argument, about creating jobs/wealth when he was lining his own pockets. Mike Ashley does the same, as do Amazon. I don't think its an argument that justifies dodging tax and treating employees badly. As discussed earlier Deliveroo benefit from not paying national insurance.

Amazon prime delivery drivers have the same job problems. Amazon just get in loads, first come, first served for delivery slots. Own car, self employed. Absolutely no risk or cost to Amazon. All controlled on a phone app.

They are laughing while giving 2 fingers to the drivers and the government.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The way I see it, which I've already said, is if you're in company uniform, sitting there waiting for a job, you're working. Deliveroo seem to have changed the way they pay their self-employed employees which might tell you something. I believe thx1138 does Deliveroo so he could tell us but there's a discussion

I do earn money as a deliveroo cyclist.

I don't wear any issued uniform, or use the kit they gave me. I bought my own food courier bag as it's better, the coat is rubbish - unless cycling in your own personal sauna is your thing. I don't want any Deliveroo logo about my person as I work, as it reduces the amount of random abuse that is hurled my way. I do wear a Deliveroo cycle hat, I bought it myself, has the company brand under the peak, so I can flip the peak up for security cameras etc - makes my life easier.

I am a member of the union, but don't really care about the self employment status a whole lot. There are a few issues that need fixing in my opinion, but employment status isn't top of my list.

The paid per hours riders have hard time if they reject an order. If I don't want to do something, I reject it.

I start work at 5pm today. If I decide I can't be bothered, I could just sack it off. It would affect my stats, my % of late cancellations would go from zero to about 2 or 3%. Nothing would happen. I'd work tomorrow.

I have to work Fri,Sat,Sun nights if I want the pick of the time slot bookings at 11am on a Monday morning. By 3pm there is nothing left.

In some cities, it is just a free for all log in, not done on time slots.

The furthest I have cycled with a single order recently, is 9 miles round trip for £7. I like the long orders, but they go to moped riders usually.

Sometimes they offer order incentives, short version they guarantee me £8 an hour if I don't reject orders.

Long version, they guarantee me 2 orders and hour, and over the course of a week, if I do say 40 hours, that's 80 orders. If I've only done 50 they owe me 30x£4 of orders. When this is in operation I book 40 hours or more, much of it from 11.30am to 5pm. But if I reject an order they'd take £4 off. If they then offer me the same order again and again, and I keep rejecting, it's £4 each time. Which sucks. When it's no in operation, I mostly work weekends and rush hour.

Im just registering with Uber eats too. Waiting for all the security mumbo jumbo to get sorted, might see if Stuart of Just Eat are available.

I just don't want to do this on a motorcycle though. Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
The furthest I have cycled with a single order recently, is 9 miles round trip for £7. I like the long orders, but they go to moped riders usually.

Ouch. That would probably take me an hour and I'd be pooped for the day Smile The rest of it sounds more complicated than matched betting Thinking

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The rest of it sounds more complicated than matched betting Thinking

It is a game of cat and mouse, looking at their tweaks, and keeping one step ahead, working out what works and why, mostly the experienced 'roos don't share this info with the newbies.

This was yesterdays lunch time shift mapped out
https://www.strava.com/activities/2126053253

edit: p.s in case you are interested in looking at stats there is a Strava club for the hardcore cyclists who do Deliveroo.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/DeliverooUK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's your take on self employed with no workers benefits to employed with benefits?

Do you want flexibility or security and do you think it would be viable?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to help run a Citizens Advice, I got shouted at, a lot.

When I turn up with peoples food, they don't shout at me. They are usually pleased to see me, or at the worst indifferent. I don't want to go back to an office job, and I do want flexibility. The only security I want, is for the companies to not be able to just terminate peoples contracts "or supplier agreements" for no reason, with no recourse.

So, yeah as a self employed person I have few rights. But, I am fairly well versed in statutory employment rights for employees, and having them is one thing, successfully enforcing them another entirely.

Many private care companies for example, will pay peanuts, and lead their workforce on a merry dance, so that they work very long hours for less than minimum wage, and make it nearly impossible to do anything about it. Basically, they can let anyone go for pretty much any reason within 2years of being there.

This doesn't mean that I don't think there are things that need changing in the gig economy, but I really do not want to be a company employee I want to stay as a self employed person myself.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you said you paid off your mortgage years ago? You're in a slightly different situation to the (mainly young) guys in London who need £600-800 just to pay for their room/bedsit. I realise they're in the wrong job... probably city as well Smile I'm just saying I don't think a lot of them have an alternative, and the same rights/structure as other employees in similar jobs would benefit them.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
IIRC you said you paid off your mortgage years ago? You're in a slightly different situation to the (mainly young) guys in London who need £600-800 just to pay for their room/bedsit. I realise they're in the wrong job... probably city as well Smile I'm just saying I don't think a lot of them have an alternative, and the same rights/structure as other employees in similar jobs would benefit them.

seems to me that money would benefit them more than employment rights

they could secure all the employment rights they wanted, and then find they only get paid national minimum wage, facing a 2 year slog before they'd be able to (in most not all circumstances) be able to claim unfair dismissal, and then still have to deal with how to pay the rent

in my opinion its the way rents are subsidised and in work benefits are organised that should take priority in your £600 to £800 a week bedsit scenario.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

So what's stopping them getting the same jobs that all the other "I'm alright jack" brigade

Hi,

The same old reason, the north/south divide.

cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4