Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is daylight MOT real or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:59 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Is daylight MOT real or not? Reply with quote

Hey so looking through my MOT logs it seams my bike has failed a few times and got advisories duo to dodgy lighting.

Iv looked online and it appears that a daylight MOT isn't actually a thing, it is still a valid MOT, just an advisory.

So my thoughts are can I just gaffa up all my lights and switches so that they dont get tested and then ride it in daylight? Means I have a better chance of passing.

Is daylight MOT only for dirt bikes? Is it for any bike that you want to be limited to only riding in daytime? Or do bikes that have lights have to have the lights tested and gaffa taping controls isn't acceptable.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure either, a mate of mine has a daylight mot with no lights or switches fitted.
Trouble is you cannot use it on a public road when it`s foggy / limited visibility where lights should be used.
Why bother just get the lights fixed and be seen.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your best off just getting your lights working TBH or your not allowed on the road 30mins before/after sunrise/sunset or in bad visibility conditions. the whole day time only/ normal MOT there is no difference apart from if you don't have lights/or at least covered up then that can be an advisory. this is in reality limited to off road (competition) vehicles with bikes having a minimum ground clearance and seat height recommendation. Some MOT stations however will include road racing bikes if for competition use ie trials bikes may need to cross public roads or by ways to move from 1 section to the next or with the road racing machines you may want to do a few laps of the TT track on the machine whilst its a normal public road....Hey no speed limits over the mountain etc but you will need full legal requirements such as MOT, insurance and tax. Its the same with the off road lot if you want to ride un surfaced vehicular access paths. If your just after avoiding getting your lights working then its more up to your local MOT station, but it would be going against the spirit of the law and your local bobby may well try and prosecute you if its your day to day transport.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:24 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day time only MOT is just like any other MOT apart from it says "no lights fitted at time of test" as an advisory.

They aren't just for dirt bikes.

The finer details of what's acceptable for a day time MOT is down to the tester.

Having an MOT certificate which says "no lights fitted at time of test" won't stop the police doing you for Construction & Use offences.

Your bike having no brake light, indicators, tail light or head light is unlikely to impress your next examiner who'll already be unimpressed about the fact you're bump starting your bike.

Do you like balloons?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:11 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Iv looked online and it appears that a daylight MOT isn't actually a thing

Ste wrote:
A day time only MOT is just like any other MOT apart from it says "no lights fitted at time of test" as an advisory.

It's a 'thing', but the term is a bit of legacy. I actually still have a MOT cert, from, 1984, in the folder of docs that belong to my Montesa Cota trials bike, that was marked 'Day-Light-Use-Only', but as Ste says, now, they are merely endorsed 'Lights not fitted at time of test'.

tara1234 wrote:
Is daylight MOT only for dirt bikes?

No. is the short answer. Under modern C&U regs, a road bike has to meet the requirements of a road bike, to be used on the road. That means it must have lights.

Back to my old Cota trials bike. Registered in 1981, it was supplied 'as standard' without any lighting equipment.. at least fitted. Like the 'Day-Light-Use-Only' MOT cert, somehwere I actually have the OE lighting kit that came with it in a card-board box. As a competition machine, most owners would never use one on the road and for competition, the first thing they would do is take the lights off any-way. It was supplied, with lights, in a cardboard box, as an 'accessory', that could be fitted if the owner wanted, which they may have, for some competition, like classic long-trial or enduro events or 'night trials'.

Supplied, but registered for the road, without lights, they exploited even older legacy legislation, where motorcycles didn't have to have lights. Many machines of the 1920's and 30's, were sold without lights, like a push-bike. Either because the electric lights of the era were rather dim and unreliable, or that acetalene lamps were rather dim and impractical, and in either case, if they weren't needed, it saved money and they could drop the sticker price.

As asside, "Lucas - Prince of Darkness!" the 'joke' actually comes from parady of a 1930's advert for Lucas electric lights, known as 'The Lady of the Lamp"
https://www.alanwiseman.co.uk/General/images/Ladylamp.jpg

By the 1960's, when the MOT was 'invented', many, particularly Brit-Bikes, were still sold without lights 'as standard', to keep the brochure price down, and where they were a pseudo standard fit, they were often sold as a bolt-on optional extra, which was actually one of the sales features of the Japanese machines when they started to come along, that things like lights and indicators were 'standard equipment'... but MOT regs remained, that they weren't 'needed'.

So whilst many 'dirt bikes' like my old Cota exploited the legacy legislation to sell without lights, it applied to any, and many vintage and classic machines also exploited the 'Daylight Use Only' marked MOT.

NOW! As said, if supplied as a road-vehicle, its supposed to have the equipment demanded by the Construction & Use regs for a road vehicle. And even competition trials bikes, for probably the last 20 years, have come as 'standard' with lights fitted.

Where the 'legacy' has been perpetuated, is under some rather convoluted rules for 'Machines adapted or modified predominantly for off-road use'... in which there is a lot of grey area and room for interpretation. Starting with what might be deemed 'off-road use', which is NOT limited merely to riding dirt. Road-Racing is off-road, stunting, is normally 'off-road', so you can modify and adapt a bike to suit a lot of disciplines that can be deemed off-road, but aren't for dirt.

And leaves the question quite open, in so far as what you might have to do to wangle your bike, through an MOT with non-working lamps.... merely taping over the lenses PROBABLY isn't sufficient.... ISTR that there is also a caveot that exemption is only eligible to 'solo' machines, so you would have to remove pilion seat and pegs and grab-rail, entirely, before you could even start, and the old MOT Man's default of "If fitted, must work" remains, and if there's a switch, should do something, and merely taping up the lamps might not be enough, merely taping over the lable or even the switch itself may not be enough, if it is there, got to work.

And I assume, we are STILL talking about your NSR......

Which has many other problems you have alluded to in other posts, above and beyond whether it will pass an MOT 'cos of lights!

And from where I am sitting, this is yet MORE optimism bordering on delusion, pure 'hope' trying to find a way to get around doing what you really need to... which is tear the frigging thing down to the frame, and properly restoreit! ITS FCUKered!

Its a resto base! It is a heap of scrap in waiting, and you are merely prolonging the agony, even trying to find yet more work arounds than bite that frigging bullet and FIX IT, properly... or scrap it! Its not a viable every day road vehicle!

And you are probably riding it, now, without a licence or insurance to, 'cos you suggest that its a full-power non-learner legal variant... and having 'obtained insurance by deception', implying its a UK-Spec Learner-Restricted model you could slap L-Plates on.... you would only be digging that hole even deeper, offering plod even more reason to tug you and uncover full rap sheet, trying to blag it throng test as a 'Modified vehicle'.... and first thing plod will do, after asking "DO you know why I have stopped you?" (because the brake light didn't come on when you slowed down!) is ask, "So these mods.... declared to the insurance are they?"... and start adding even more crimes to that rap-sheet, as you keep talking!

GO FIX the Ruddy thing.... or scrap it! Its doing nowt for you but prolong the agony whilst you DONT have a decent bike to use, and dont get the licence you really want to have anything more than a 15bhp 125..... and just takes you around the garden path, in this delusion that there 'has' to be something you can do, and NOT bite a bullet anywhere..... you know, it is an awful lot easier in the long run to bite one of them bullets, and after you have, you will wonder why you ever spent so much time or energy trying to dodge it!

GO FIX YOUR BIKE!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting Tef. My bike dumps itself firmly into the middle of those grey areas you mention and it's so tempting to push things but still be technically within the rules!
I've not though. Everything on my bike is there (except side stand switch) and works as it should. Not only does it keep my insurance simple but it also lessens the amount of pulls by the law and most importantly makes riding the thing far easier. A good example is slowing down - if I was being followed by a traffic police car and they were looking for something to get me with if I had a daytime MOT then I'd need to use the arm signal to show I'm braking..

Reminds me of the time I had an ancient moped and it needed an MOT. I couldn't find the interpretation of tread depth for the thing. This was difficult because of the age of it, the low power output and lack of current examples.
It passed the MOT. Their interpretation of it was: 'Visible tread'. Yup - just a shadow of tread was enough for a pass!!
At that test station I was hauled into the test shed. The lights worked off the engine and those younger mechanics didn't understand simple basic starting on the thing!

Tara - please the bike will drain funds. Get something else.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:08 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara,
Looking on the map, you're less than 5 miles from me. I'm in Crystal Palace, and not doing much today. Bring the bike down to me and I'll have a look at the electrics.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Is this the bike you bump start??

someone has said the charging/genny system is/are poor.......

Your gunna have to learn how to sort this bike out at some stage, or just use it in daylight hours or as a field bike. At least yuo will develope good thighs and learn how to "fall off".

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Tara,
Looking on the map, you're less than 5 miles from me. I'm in Crystal Palace, and not doing much today. Bring the bike down to me and I'll have a look at the electrics.

She's closer to the likes of me, Fisty, Ste and Nobby.

oh dear. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MOT tester told me if a bike had a light it had to work, and if it had a light switch it had to work too. Hiding either one behind gaffa tape won't get you a pass, you'd have to remove them both.

In what way are the lights "dodgy"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

In what way are the lights "dodgy"?

They are covered by a sock.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:00 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
That's really interesting Tef.

Lol. There was a rather hilarious one on one of those Police-Camera-Action progs, some while back.

Coppa had pulled a gixer-boy, for riding a bike with luminouse pink head-lamp cover, amongst, I presume, the usual loud-pipe and little plate tug-magnets.... The 'Drama' was in the rider being a bit smart-arse with the coppa over his interpretation of legal tyre tread-depth, and trying to apply the 1.6mm minumimum for a car, not the 1mm min for a bike, or 'visible' (as you mention!) for a moped.

Obviously a common occurrence..... the lad pulled his docs out of his pocket, and showed the coppa it had a 'tested without lamps fitted' MOT, and a copy of the MOT mans manual with regard the tread depth and legal spacing of a number-plate, ete etc etc.....

Coppa made him wait at the side of the road, and called out an 'expert' I 'think' a VOSA tester, who went over the bike in fine detail, looked at the docs, then eventually agreed with the lad, that he was 'just' within the law.... Coppa then came back over and said, "Hmmm its a bit dark now.... how you getting home?"

And sat there, in the car, waiting till he tried to ride it away!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have a friend in north london who can help me sort out most of the problems with it. Unfortunatly I cant drive the bike to him before MOT to fix it because he isn't an official shop or something and driving with no MOT is illigal, I cant really afford to get pulled with my engine power.

The other lights work fine, brake light comes on, indicators work. Its just the headlight that is dim. I was asking if I could daylight MOT it so that ANPR will show i've got an MOT, so I can start riding it in the day and by next year when I take it in for its MOT it will be fixed.

In regards to it being a project, I am fully aware it was a project when I bought the thing, the engine itself seams to run fine when its up to temperature and I was shown the old piston and rings that had been taken out by the guys selling me it. Cant be 100% on that obviosly but he did show me the old knackered piston.

Im going to compression test it when I get a chance to check how the engine is, bikes currently at my mates, got a new battery and 12v tester coming.

Im just wondering if its possible to daylight MOT it because it would be slightly easier.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:02 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
and driving with no MOT is illigal,

Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked So is riding a bike you haven't got a licence for, or insurance for, or that's in an obviously un-road-worthy condition.... B-U-T.. its the lack of a receipt for an MOT test that bothers you?!?!?!? Shocked Laughing Shocked

Meanwhile, you have a bike, that you shouldn't be riding, that you admit 'really' needs a total tear-down, that you cant get to this 'mate' who you believe can sort all it's problems... you 'hope' without resorting to the total tear-down you don't want to tackle....

Like I said... sort it or scrap it.... and if you cant sort it, or get it to chap who can... what's left? Bullets need biting.... take your pick.

How much to hire a van?

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
tara1234 wrote:
and driving with no MOT is illigal,

Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked So is riding a bike you haven't got a licence for, or insurance for, or that's in an obviously un-road-worthy condition.... B-U-T.. its the lack of a receipt for an MOT test that bothers you?!?!?!? Shocked Laughing Shocked

Meanwhile, you have a bike, that you shouldn't be riding, that you admit 'really' needs a total tear-down, that you cant get to this 'mate' who you believe can sort all it's problems... you 'hope' without resorting to the total tear-down you don't want to tackle....

Like I said... sort it or scrap it.... and if you cant sort it, or get it to chap who can... what's left? Bullets need biting.... take your pick.

How much to hire a van?

Its not about the mot paper its the ANPR it detects if you have Insurance, mot and tax. All online databases now.

It is driveable, I drove it from reading to london at night when I bought it, engine seams fine was hard to start in cold but apparantly thats normal with the NSR125.

In regards to restriction I was thinking of drilling holes into the throttle like in the video below. If I feel like I wanna be legal put the screw in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5rhFCQaCQ

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:59 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing stopping you riding to a pre-booked MOT... Just cancel it.

I'd accept Robby's offer.

It's also non endorsable to ride without an MOT...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

Its not about the mot paper its the ANPR it detects if you have Insurance, mot and tax. All online databases now.

It is driveable, I drove it from reading to london at night when I bought it, engine seams fine was hard to start in cold but apparantly thats normal with the NSR125.

In regards to restriction I was thinking of drilling holes into the throttle like in the video below. If I feel like I wanna be legal put the screw in.

No MOT.
Speed camera vans will log it.
Cop cars with APNR may even give you a tug.
Automatic NIP in the post (Not if stopped by cops. You will get a roadside NIP then. They canny no' dae that.).
I think the vehicle should be SORNed too.
As the MOT has a connection to insurance and tax.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:55 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headlight on an old imported NSR is going to be dim.

Be careful that you're not trying to find a way around a problem that isn't actually a problem and if you made it from Reading to London at night then it can't be too bad. Mr. Green

Drilling holes and putting screws in the throttle might see you restrict it to less than 11kW (14.5bhp) but as you don't know how much power it's got at the moment, you don't know how much power you're needing to prevent the bike from using.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:18 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
tara1234 wrote:

No MOT.
Automatic NIP in the post (Not if stopped by cops. You will get a roadside NIP then. They canny no' dae that.).

You are wrong, oddly.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:17 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The headlight on an old imported NSR is going to be dim.

Be careful that you're not trying to find a way around a problem that isn't actually a problem and if you made it from Reading to London at night then it can't be too bad. Mr. Green

Drilling holes and putting screws in the throttle might see you restrict it to less than 11kW (14.5bhp) but as you don't know how much power it's got at the moment, you don't know how much power you're needing to prevent the bike from using.

My idea was to put a screw in at 50% and then dyno it, and just assume that my unrestricted power is twice what the dyno reads at, if im still above 11 kw go down another 10% or so.

I went along the A4 which is all streetlamped.

Last edited by tara1234 on 18:25 - 03 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just tell the authorities you never go above half throttle so you're legal? Also gaffer tape the tyres so no one knows if they're bald.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

I went along the A4 which is all streetlamped.

Sidelights aren't for you to see with, it's so people can see you...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

You are wrong, oddly.

Care to elaboright you lazy sarcastic bastirt? Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:33 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

No MOT.

Bolds are wrong.
Italics are grey area. You are allowed to ride/drive to an MOT, but insurance gets vague at that point

No MOT isn't endorsable, they will likely tug you but it doesn't technically invalidate anything directly if you have no MOT and are going MOT station.

That said, OP is clearly a special... go and either ride it as you should and ignore... or get it properly restricted.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:18 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
My idea was
Where all the drama started! You know, unimaginative people, might usually have pretty dull lives, BUT.... they suffer less heart-attacks too!
tara1234 wrote:
to put a screw in at 50% and then dyno it, and just assume

Assumption is the mother of all eff-ups....
So, over-active imagination, plus over reliance on assumption, and oooh... did we mention the delusional not long ago?

Dyno Testing.... you would need to go to a work-shop with a dyno. That will not likely be the back-street-bodge-it merchant. It will be one of the better appointed outfits, that will charge if not franchise Dealer work-shop-prices, probably not far off. In the order of £50 an hour.... or part there-of.

So, to get one run printed, will cost you £50 or so.
Go away, twiddle your screw, try again... another £50.....
And so it goes on.

The tests only cost £120... it wouldn't take MANY runs or much work-shop time before JUST biting the frigging bullet and taking the pigging tests, was cheaper, easier and offered Soooooo much more, than all this faff and fret, determined to try beat the system!!!

GO look at it all! You have a bike you cannot legally ride. That even if you could illegally ride it.... you couldn't, 'cos its kerbluggered!

YET, you seem utterly determined to find some blag, or some work-around to any and every issue, OTHER than doing the 'boring' of cracking out the credit-card, paying a school, doing a course and getting a licence......

Which would actually let you ride this bag-of-hassle, legally, with actual, legal valid insurance, 'cos you'd have the licence to ride it... IF you are absolutely determined that this bike is worth trying to work with, B-U-T, with a full-licence in your pocket, to let you 'legally' ride any bike you like... you probably wouldn't want to! even if it worked, and even if it worked reliably, and even if it was in sufficiently good fettle to deliver all its unrestricted power.... its STILL only a 24bhp motorcycle, about as fast and powerful as a thirty year old four-stroke single, commuter bike, like a Suzuki GN250, Yamaha SR250, or Honda CB250... and what you paid for this heap-of hassle, as it stands, was as much as you could have got something far 'more' like a 50bhp Kawasaki ER5 for, T&T's and road-worthy, and ready to go, that you WOULDN'T have to bludy-bump start, faff around with Dyno-Runs or restriction-washers, or worry that the insurance might get a tad arsey over being a grey-import, or or or or any of the other, utterly unnecessary issues you have with this heap-of...

All because of some rather incredible "Ideas" and a heck of a lot of assumptions.... like, that it will 'help' you get the feel for a heavier bike, cos its like two bags of sugar heavier than your SR.... like getting used to 'all' that extra power... cos... oh, yeah, well, even restricted to LL limits is an ENORMOUSE (lol) amount of extra grunt!

It is just bizarre!

'Sensible' says you are pizzing in the wind, on optimism and delusion with this thing, TRYING to find a way to get around being told you need to do a DAS course, and vilifying the chap that told you that, taking tests on your SR and failing them. So 'sensible' says get with the program.

Of all the problems you have... most you are making for yourself, trying to work around doing what you were told you needed, eons ago.

Cough up the cash, book a course, go do, do tests, get a licence.

Do that, and oh-sop much of this problem on top of hassle, layerd on bad ideas and bad assumption, would JUST become redundant....

This is chit you REALLY don't need to have. Its all of your own making, in the choices you have make, and are continuing to make, based not on good reason, but ideas and assumption!

STOP having ideas. Go get facts! Go get a frigging licence!

If you fix this bike, if you make it even notionally legal... It will NOT solve your little issue with round-abouts that saw you fail tests first time about.......

You are really NOT prioritising the problems that most need dealing with here! You are letting your imagination run away with you, into fantasy and delusion, that is bound to ONLY lead to more problems, NOT solutions to the ones you got.......

Bike the bullet.... you need to learn to ride safely, you need to be up to par to pass tests, WHAT do you need do to solve THAT?

Believe me, its not stick a fugging grub screw in an NSR's twist-grip!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3