Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recently passed mod2 - no bike, no storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

return
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:59 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Recently passed mod2 - no bike, no storage Reply with quote

There are so many bike forums, and I settled for BCF because it seems pretty active. This post is part introduction, part question.

- I passed the mod2 test in December 2018 (taking the CBT, then DAS route).
- I'm 36, male, and live in London.
- I have no garage, and a garden without side access (you can tell where this is going).

Unfortunately passing the test was the easy part. I live in rented accommodation (thank you successive UK governments for inflating housing beyond the reach of ordinary people). I can't drill a ground anchor and there's nowhere nearby I can secure a bike to.

I've had plenty of time to research bikes, and would love to buy a used Honda CBR650F or Yamaha MT07. But this feels like an impossible situation.

It may be that in about 2 years I will have be in a position to buy my own place (well, rent it from a bank via a mortgage). And I'm glad I can consider this before I buy anywhere, but waiting two years until I ride feels like too long.

I don't want to buy a complete heap just to have a bike, and still risk it getting stolen. Equally, I wouldn't want to buy a nicer bike (~ 5K) and store it outside all year, and locked only to itself.

Last edited by return on 15:07 - 02 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Recently passed mod2 - no bike, no storage Reply with quote

return wrote:
I live in rented accommodation (thank you successive UK governments for inflating housing beyond the reach of ordinary people). I can't drill a ground anchor

I fear house price inflation is more the result of changing lending patterns and the pyramid scheme of getting money for holidays, children's education, cars etc. However that's by the bye.

Why can't you put in a ground anchor? Is the garden totally inaccessible with nothing at the front?

return
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:13 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've been clearer: The landlord won't allow me to drill or cement a ground anchor in the front. I guess I could just move :-/

You're right about lending standards, and I blame the BoE as much as anyone else Smile Although the government Help to Buy scheme has inflated prices on top of low interest rates.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A housing debate... I'm in Smile MT-07 you say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grtWiGEM0J4 Neutral They'll have anything, I've only had bikes due to secureish parking, anything on street will be gone.

return
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:44 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually seen that before and never noticed it was an MT07. Now I see the distinctive display, it's clearly an MT07.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually asked your landlord? Or the letting agent?

return
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:43 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No letting agent involved. Just the landlord.

TBH, they're quite reasonable - my rent is below market rate on the condition that I maintain the back garden to a standard that requires regular gardening (at least in the summer). For this reason, they don't want a ground anchor anywhere.

Not only did I ask, but I said they could choose a professional company to install it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

return wrote:
- my rent is below market rate

Be careful saying things like that on here Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes visit a (newish) block of flats in a rough neighbourhood, where nobody can have a ground anchor. One of the residents keeps his Suzuki V-strom outside. It has all sorts of flashing things, alarms, sensors, brake locks, steering locks, trackers, etc.

I don't think you've got any choice but to go down the same route. Avoid buying an MT-07 or anything attractive to thieves. Go for an older, less cool bike, and load it with as much anti-theft stuff as you can.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

London, MT07... I can guarantee it will be stolen even with a ground anchor if it's in plain sight.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about one of those secure shed things?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:21 - 02 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can have it indoors... I'd not bother.

London is a bike thieving cess pool. We've had bikes stolen outside our office door, that's not even central Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps theres like minded people like you who can get together and rent a garage and split the costs ?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:06 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much need lock-up space. I'd imagine rents are so high there that people will be happy to sub-let one bikes worth of space in a normal lockup. That's how we used to do it when I lived in Edinburgh. You easily get 4 bikes in a car-sized lockup.

As an alternative to fitting a specific ground anchor, you could get a big "pot" (think half barrel type size). Fill most of it with heavy stones and cement but leaving some gaps for water to drain through (half a dozen bits of pipe running top to bottom?) with a ground anchor type loop embedded into it and sticking out the side. The important thing is that it's really fucking heavy, too heavy for one man to lift.

Paint it so it looks smart (or even wrap one of those bamboo mats round the outside), fill the top with compost and plants so it looks like a planter, have some spilling out round the side etc. Chain your bike to it.

May also be a good time to look at your financial priorities too? You're looking at what, £4-6k for the bikes you're thinking of. Why not go for one at half that (or less), leaving you money to rent a lockup, or be in a position to buy a property sooner.

An ebay search for bikes between 500 and 1000cc for between £1500 and £2000 brings up 465 adverts. Have a look through them. Try the same on autotrader, again, hundreds of bikes. I generally sort by mileage.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not what you want to hear, but it sounds like you're not really in a position to sensibly own a bike at the moment. It's a sad reflection on modern society that such a statement exists, but without anywhere to securely store a bike it's likely to get nicked sooner or later.

Do you have relatives/parents anywhere nearby with somewhere you could store a bike? If so, you could incentivise them (monthly payment, takeaway once a month on you or something) and keep it there and just use it for weekend / days off rides rather than a commuting tool.

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd just wait until you have got somewhere to store one (I didn't even bother learning to ride until I moved to a house with a garage, although I'm in the poor North so it was far more feasible to make this step than in The Smoke). Even with every alarm/security device under the sun, I wouldn't be comfortable with my bike being chained up (to itself or anything) if it's on the street. Going on holiday would be a particularly nerve-wracking time!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:21 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
Perhaps theres like minded people like you who can get together and rent a garage and split the costs ?

and give the thieves many prizes for their efforts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
vp1977uk wrote:

and give the thieves many prizes for their efforts.

My thoughts exactly. You're also reliant on the other people being as cautious over security as you, e.g. tinkering with their bike with the door wide open for anyone passing by to see what's inside

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why be sorry that such a statement exists? More like be truthful and realistic IMO! It sounds like OP is just venting and having a general whine about everything from the housing market and the unfairness of his particular situation which is the norm for many people.

It would be just as unreasonable and unrealistic for someone to want to buy a car where they have no drive or off road parking, and no legal on-street parking within walking distance of their house.

Just to say that everyone has the right to own a car or bike irrespective of their situation or responsibilities is really stupid IMO.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my own maintenance on my bike, but I've been stupidly busy over the past month or so, so I had cause to see a bike mechanic recently to get something done.

Just a note to add to what's already been said, people who use bikes as daily transportation most often don't use MT-07s and CBR650s and such. These bikes are seen as leisure bikes. The daily transport/commuter types use REALLY ratty scooters and mopeds (saw some shocking examples down at the mechanic's workshop), and they worry to death about their much-needed transport to work being stolen one day. Of course there's the occasional nutcase on a heavily modified rat/commuter big bike who rides all year, but he's the exception. You have to get your living situation sorted out so you can afford and have access to a locked garage all your own, and any other security measures, before you consider what you're contemplating. All those guys who commute into London from Surrey on sports bikes and "adventure" bikes (the adventure being the North Circular? hahahaha) have got their house and garage all sorted out. Priorities.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:50 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your bike gets nicked, do you have to declare it on car insurance renewals aswell ?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
If your bike gets nicked, do you have to declare it on car insurance renewals aswell ?

Yep, a claim is a claim.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
vp1977uk wrote:

Yep, a claim is a claim.

Yep, but they are not interested if you want to transfer your bike ncb to a car insurance policy......oh no. They WANT IT ALL WAYS.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:36 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some will.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Some will.

Not enough to make a difference really, it was still cheaper for me to go with an insurer with no NCB than with one who accepted bike NCB.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2