Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

';--have i been pwned?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: ';--have i been pwned? Reply with quote

Say this on hukd: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ Apparently it's legit, and I've been pwned 4 times and appeared on 2 'pastes'. Ironically the sites listed are PS3 and 360 hacking sites Smile

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more inclined to think I had been after I typed my e-mail address in, but BCF will do that to you over the years Sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd use the passwords bit, but I don't know how much use a random email address would be to hackers? As long as your password isn't 'password'.

Last edited by M.C on 14:56 - 03 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:56 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change my password every 3 months so I wasn't too worried, despite being listed 5 times Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I change my password every 3 months so I wasn't too worried, despite being listed 5 times Laughing

On everything? Confused

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:59 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't changed a few of mine in years, BCF over a decade now.

My wenches emails are compromised, apparently. Or they are now Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Haven't changed a few of mine in years, BCF over a decade now.

I used to think you were ok having unique passwords for your email, PayPal/other important stuff, then another set for any site where hackers can think you might have an account (Amazon etc.), then a shit one for all the little websites... like BCF.

However I've probably had half a dozen breeches in the last 6 months so I need a new strategy Smile Also as sites ask for more complicated passwords I'm beginning to forget them, iTunes won't let you reuse a password from the last year so mine become even more obscure and hard to remember Brick Wall

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:44 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up a 2nd ebay account and used my tablets gmail - I don't use it for anything, and the tablet just for reading...But! because thats all I use it for the owner/account name is Abra Cadabra which transferred to ebay.

So anyway, going to the post office to collect a parcel was fun Laughing

''I.D Sir''

Parcel collected Thumbs Up

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always going to happen when you've had loads of accounts for 15+ years and stuck with the same email Smile Password managers are good, saved me from losing my Steam and PSN accounts, someone really wanted them a few years ago, woke up to about 50 password reset emails when a certain website got hacked.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I used to think you were ok having unique passwords for your email, PayPal/other important stuff, then another set for any site where hackers can think you might have an account (Amazon etc.), then a shit one for all the little websites... like BCF.
However I've probably had half a dozen breeches in the last 6 months so I need a new strategy

That's exactly what I do, TBH. Where were your breaches then, just in the 'shit' password or any of the others?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
However I've probably had half a dozen breeches in the last 6 months so I need a new strategy

That's exactly what I do, TBH. Where were your breaches then, just in the 'shit' password or any of the others?

Yeah the shit password, just as an example my udemy got hacked, which I wouldn't consider to be in the top 2 tiers.

Irn-Bru wrote:
Password managers are good

How do they work across multiple devices?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:03 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been pwned, but all on sites which reported the issues and I changed the passwords at the time.

I don't use the same password for any site, and I have different levels of complexity of password for low, medium and high risk sites, so someone breaking into my drop box for example is unlikely to then be able to break into my paypal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I don't use the same password for any site

How do you remember them?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Gmailpassword
Hotmailpassword
Bankpassword
Brazzerspassword

Etc Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:04 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Gmailpassword
Hotmailpassword
Bankpassword
Brazzerspassword

Etc Smile

Nah too obvious. I either write 'em down, make 'em memorable (the hardcore stuff like Paypal, online banking etc) or I put them in a password locker utility. it doesn't matter if I forget drop box, BCF, pistonheads, but it DOES matter if I forget paypal etc.

I don't use birthdays, family member or pet names and I generally stick two or three words together with some numbers and occasionally symbols too.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:25 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://breachedpasswords.website/
https://ghostproject.fr/

Have fun. Wink
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
M.C wrote:
I don't think I'd use the passwords bit, but I don't know how much use a random email address would be to hackers? As long as your password isn't 'password'.

It's value is that you've just confirmed it's a current and valid email address to add to a confirmed mailing list to sell on again and again..

I'd love to know how much these companies pay or think a list of emails is worth.

My spam filter on my BT account is pretty good, a damn sight better than my phone spam filter. I hardly get any spam in my inbox and I don't even bother going in my spam, it just auto deletes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:44 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approximately fuck all. Laughing

10 or 20 years ago they'd have had some value but now for example, if you want the database of 1.4 billion email addressed and passwords that are listed on breachedpasswords.website it can be downloaded from your friendly local torrent site.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:23 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

On everything? Confused

Yes, I have SSO for the most part, but for my personal GMail, my Xbox and PS accounts its a 2 minute thing.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:25 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I have to remember passwords at work, I have no issues remembering 100+ passwords and IP addresses, that probably helps in my situation.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:03 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
If I'm ever forced to give an email address, I make an address up on a catch all domain I have, so the address signifies who I gave it to.
When the spam comes in, you can see who's breaching regulations and selling on your info, by the address it arrives for.

Exactly the same here Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
If I'm ever forced to give an email address, I make an address up on a catch all domain I have, so the address signifies who I gave it to.
When the spam comes in, you can see who's breaching regulations and selling on your info, by the address it arrives for.

Same.
But it's a cause of perpetual annoyance to me that not once has one of those email addresses ever been the source of spam; unlike my usual 'generic' email address which goes out to 'trusted' businesses who I want to have it...

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:11 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 different passwords,

Shit I don't give a fuck about, forums etc. a few variations, based on the bare minimum security that is allowed, 6+ chars. My BCF password is 6 lower case characters Laughing

Shit I slightly give a fuck about FB/Ebay/Amazon stuff that would piss me off if it was compromised but wouldn't do me any actual harm. 10+ Chars, words, cases, numbers.

My internal network, really complex PW as that absolutely must not be compromised. 15+ chars, Nonsence, numbers, symbols both cases etc.

Banks stuff is usually specific to each bank, with 2FA etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2