Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to bend thickish alloy bar?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: How to bend thickish alloy bar? Reply with quote

This might be a bit too much of an ask of the material but worth a try.

I want to make a rear rack for a bike. I'm too tight to blow £150 on a quick-rust rentec. The plan is for it to be really basic, two bars about 300mm long sticking out the back from the grab rail mounts with a fenestrated plate mounted on top.

I've got some 10x30mm 6082 flat bar for the job (overkill?).

Each bar will need a slight dog-leg in the middle of about 10 degrees. This will need to be in the vertical aixs. So if you're looking straight at the 30mm face of the bar, that's where you'd see the dog-leg.

I planned to heat it up in the oven for an hour or so (my fan oven will go to 250C) then clamp it firmly just before the bend, slide a long bit of pipe over and slowly-slowly apply a bending force (or just the weight of the pipe) while heating the metal on the outside of the bend radius. Then leave it to sit somewhere cool for a few days to re-harden before doing anything else with it.

Option 2 would be to half cut through it, apply the bend in a similar way to above then lumiweld the slot (any weight would be acting to close rather than open the slot).

The other option would be to cut the angles and see if I can find someone to TIG it up.

However, a bend would be nice if it's achievable.

Sketch attached, although I intend the finished article to have a more radiused finish.

Main thing is, I'm not sure if this kind of bend is possible without cracking the material, or if the heat treating to achieve one without cracking will rob so much strength it wont recover enough to be useable.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think aluminium melting point 600-700ºC.

We used to use bar soap rubbed on the piece before heating as an indicator. It will go black or dark brown at annealing temp.

I think I seen an aluminium slab being rolled into sheet on youtube. They pre-heated the slab and then rolled in a hot mill before continuing in a cold mill.

You will be messing with any post production properties of the material if you heat an bend.

This is aircraft related. Not the same alloy but there are some temperatures in there. (In American Smile )

They say 650F 343C So at least your bar won't melt.

https://www.tinmantech.com/education/articles/aluminum-alloys-annealing.php

You can only try.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, any heat treatment of the alloy is going to be nullified. Chances are it will be soft as shit. Alu both age and work hardens. The more you manipulate it, the more likely it is to "snap".

You'll have better results with steel tubing, filling it with sand (must be dry), heating and bending. It's be softer than it started unless you get it *really* hot, but it will still be harder than Alu that's had a similar process. Chuck on a primer and paint of your choice.

Source - I work in a foundry, part of my job involves manipulation of metals, and heat treatment of metals, some of which are Alu alloys.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a long time ago, but ISTR you need rather more than 250C to anneal it, more like 400 and slow cooling (don't quote me).

Might another technique be to thin the edge of the bar by beating it, flat side on an anvil or RSJ offcut or whatever, with annealing?

I might be tempted to get it welded...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're bending it the hard way by the looks of your drawing. Bending that 30mm width in T6 harness I would say you'll need a good 150mm radius bend or it'll start cracking on the outside edge.

No scientific data was harmed during this guesstimation.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:37 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round pipe is easier and will look better. I would braze the joins, this looks like the right application and it needs a lot less cocking around to make it look nice afterwards compared to mig.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:45 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut pie slice out, reweld.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Bending that 30mm width in T6 harness I would say you'll need a good 150mm radius bend or it'll start cracking on the outside edge.

It might even look better with a bigger bend radius, too.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Cut pie slice out, reweld.

Yep or cut at half-angle and flip one bit over. 6082 should linish out nicely too.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumiweld (Fucking phone) is not welding. It uses a similar material but it is a brazing technique like soldering.
Aluminium is notoriously difficult to weld without the proper materials and preparation.

It will probably hold if lumiweld is applied but any structural strength will also rely on excess material applied during the process.
Removing this extra material will reduce the properties of the joint.

Aluminium can be welded using coated filler rods and arc or oxy-acetylene. Or MIG for this thickness of material. Not everyone has access to the equipment.

I would just heat that bar in the oven (when she is at work) then bend (until resistance is too much to overcome) then heat in the oven till max temp. Switch off the oven and allow the workpiece to cool slowly with the oven.
The inside radius of the bend will puff up as that material will have been pushed out by the mechanical force applied in forming the bend.
Sand that bit down.
Sanding aluminium has some issues too. It clogs the abrasive used so frequent changes are required and aluminium grows a protective oxide layer (rust) immediately it's exposed to the atmosphere so needs a was or something to protect any shine. Aluminium polishes have a was incorporated in their compounds and the grit particle size is bigger than that used for Brass. But you already know this. 😂

Last edited by MCN on 20:18 - 05 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could modify a pipe bender to accept , or hire one which uses a hydraulic ram.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get handheld torch off ebay for cheap i use a MAP bottle.
cut out a semicircle of wood and screw it to the bench
drill holes in a strip of metal and screw that to the wood.
heat up the metal and pull it around the shape you made
this method was used a lot when building chop frames

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

Not with Alu it wasn't.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminium is not suited to home made bending when it will be holding a 10kg+ dynamic load off the back of a bike. Id also be going for 12-15mm wide in the vertical.

Cut and bolt two lengths to create the angle. Add a side plate as reinforcement.

Aluminium is cheap. Cut the side rails out of 100mm x 15mm plate.

While rentec's are expensive new, and they do rust, mine has been reliable and has had a lot of abuse, with a full heavy box mounted on it for most of 7 years.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
ART-ADS wrote:

Not with Alu it wasn't.

was talking mild steel

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Not with Alu it wasn't.

was talking mild steel

Which is entirely irrelevant...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
ART-ADS This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

fuck yourself

You have a lot of friends in real life dont you? Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:27 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

fuck yourself

This will work out well for you. Plz die.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

fuck yourself

You may want to research the following items...

A) How to use the quotes tags properly.
I didn't say that, and you're a jizzgobbling spunktrumpet.

B) How to control your mouth.
Chances of you telling any of us that in real life? Fuck all.

C)Top yourself.
Up the street, not across the road. Does everyone a favour, you are diluting our oxygen.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1