Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Oval" rear wheel (drum brake) - what is it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: "Oval" rear wheel (drum brake) - what is it? Reply with quote

Morning all

So I'm going to take a look at my ER5's rear wheel this weekend as my rear brake "pulses" when applied (and has just started making a slight squeal just before I come to a stop). Now from what I can gather, a good clean up and lube of joints/pivots etc. can solve a lot of rear drum issues, but I've also heard of the infamous "oval wheel" syndrome.

Is this literally what it sounds like, i.e. the drum itself is no longer round? Or is it something else? What sort of roundness (!) can I (or should I) expect if I measure the inside of the drum? Within half a mm or something?

Cheers all. Thumbs Up

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just an adjustment on the rear brake shoes

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the drum lining either has a big rusty deposit in one spot, or has warped and gone oval. There might be an ovality tolerance in the manual but any at all will be felt through the pedal.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: "Oval" rear wheel (drum brake) - what is it? Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Is this literally what it sounds like, i.e. the drum itself is no longer round? Or is it something else? What sort of roundness (!) can I (or should I) expect if I measure the inside of the drum? Within half a mm or something?

If the drum's distorted it will feel like old-fashioned anti-lock brakes working. I don't know what maximum run-out is, but I'd guess about 0.25mm. You can measure it with a dial gauge or even check it by eye and a pointer just to see if it's out of round, after checking other possible causes of judder.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. The feel is more of a gentle pulsing (clearly linked to speed though)

If there is a rusty deposit inside the drum, can it just be gently sanded down to remove it?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely cracked than oval. Does the wear indicator show that you need new shoes?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 350 has this, never worried about it, last 3 MOTs just been an advisory for 'Slight fluctuation of the rear brake'

Drum was clean from the powder coaters so must have been uneven wear causing it.

If it gets to point it fails, I have a spare rear wheel and more than likely cheaper than repairing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
More likely cracked than oval. Does the wear indicator show that you need new shoes?

Wear indicator looks OK, although it probably got reset (?) when the wheel came out for a tyre change. No cracks visible that I've noticed but I'll look more closely.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
If there is a rusty deposit inside the drum, can it just be gently sanded down to remove it?

Yes, do it by hand. If the inside of the drum is smooth, that's enough, you don't need to remove metal.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, not sure if relevant, but when I first got the bike (600 miles ago) it had been stood for a long time and when the rear wheel was turned over by hand it encountered a lot of resistance once every revolution - now that resistance has virtually gone and it pretty much turns freely.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
the wheel came out for a tyre change

Did the juddering start after the tyre change, or was it there before?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
By the way, not sure if relevant, but when I first got the bike (600 miles ago) it had been stood for a long time and when the rear wheel was turned over by hand it encountered a lot of resistance once every revolution - now that resistance has virtually gone and it pretty much turns freely.

Bit of vital info there...

I wonder if it had a good jetwashing and some water laid in the drum to make a rust patch.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Did the juddering start after the tyre change, or was it there before?

It was there before, I think slightly more so if anything but the tyre change was 10 miles into ownership when the old tyre decided to split open (it was intact at purchase, but obviously was perished and it took that little bit of riding to make it crack).

Pete. wrote:
Bit of vital info there...

I wonder if it had a good jetwashing and some water laid in the drum to make a rust patch.

Possible - it was fairly clean when bought but I know it'd done about 1000 miles in the last 2 years and judging by the other things I've dealt with (gummed up carbs and fuel tap, perished tyres etc.) I think the thing had been sat for quite a while.

I've got the service manual - it doesn't look like too hard a job to dismantle the outer casing of the drum and that will presumably reveal if it's a rust patch.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in doubt whip it out.
15-20mins will remove the wheel and open the drum.
YU still posting? Very Happy

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip the wheel off and have a look, it's an easy job. Give the drum and shoes a light sand of there's rust patches, clean and lightly grease the cam then chuck it back together

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. It's a job for the weekend really! I've got some marine grease - presume this should be OK for this job as I don't think I've got any bog standard grease?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be fine just don't over-do it. You don't want the grease to end up plastered over the shoes.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease on the shoes might stop the squeaking Idea . . . joke Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Grease on the shoes might stop the squeaking Idea . . . joke Wink

It prevents the shoes wearing and improves full economy too. Dance!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I’ve found the issue. Looks like the lining as lifted slightly from the wheel in one spot creating a high point. It’s clear this is where the shoes are wearing the drum the most. There is a small crack in the centre of this high point approx 8mm long.

The engineer in me tells me this is bad Sad

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a decent 2nd hand wheel....

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I’ve cleaned it up I don’t think the lining has lifted at all - think that was an illusion caused by a shadow between the lining and the wheel itself. The crack seems pretty hairline....can’t feel it with a fingernail

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter which way you look at it that drum liner is warped. Could be that the ally hub has oxidised under that crack and the oxidisation has pushed the liner in.

If it was a very rare wheel I'd look at finding someone with a lathe and skim that drum, but otherwise a replacement would be sought. If the juddering was bad and I absolutely had to have the bike for use I'd maybe linish off the high spots with a flap wheel whilst I spent time looking for a replacement.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s more of a gentle pulsing than juddering - I don’t really notice it that much unless I focus on it. Only really apparent at very slow speeds. I agree, it’s clearly not round though. Will it “wear in” over time?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only on the rear brake then it's not a biggy. It's a drum brake, It's on the rear so it's effects become kind of redundant as weight shifts onto the front wheel when braking.

I forget to use the rear brake unless stopped on a hill and I want to sit upright.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2