Motorcycle Trailers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:23 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

That's cool! How does it affect cornering/stability? I.e. do you have to go really slow and upright round corners?

No. It leans with the bike and just follows it. I've made sure the linkage acts through the line of the top shock linkage meaning it doesn't try to lift the back end under braking. In theory I could do wheelies with it on (if you could wheelie the bike).

It wags a bit at high(er) speeds -read 60-65 for a bullet-, worse if the weight is up high. That's more an issue with flex in the rear subrfame than the trailer. If it was more ridgidly attached, this wouldn't happen. That said, speed limit is 50 with a trailer on.

A mate had a similar one on his 1200 bandit with a truck harvey spicer for a linkage and it would go full speed and do wheelies/burnouts with the trailer on. I think virus on this forum may have that trailer now.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can see an issue with that motorcycle trailer - it's 'nose high'. Basically if you need to brake fast then the angle of the trailer and it's carried/combined weight would want to lift the motorcycle back wheel in the air?
At least that's what my eyes see anyway!

I'm definitely seeing a way through this mess though. Like f*ck am I going to offer the trailer to VOSA - the outcome would depend on if they got their legover last night. Sure they have rules but it could well end with extra complexity and be expensive.
I'll go along the old trailer route but keep the correct legal fittings on it.

I'm simply weighing options here. Easiest is a van. Second is a trailer and third is ride the thing forever - it really does get uncomfortable.
The idea is to haul to a holiday and ride around once there. Scotland etc.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:29 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

If it's for personal use, rather than sale, I converted an old dinghy trailer and fitted a centre rail to it which gave a nice wide long trailer for carrying bikes

https://www.racingdinghies.co.uk/sites/default/files/Cadet%20Road%20Base.jpg

So, how was the nose weight on that with a bike on it? Back of the car a bit low?

No, because I have a brain, so mounted the rail over the axle like all other bike trailers. The upside was the length and width which make it far more stable than the average big trailer (which with the exception of the large ones for 3 bikes are univerally shit).

Noseweight was probably 25kg or so, I could pick it up and put it on the hitch with a reasonable amount of effort.

Last edited by B5234FT on 15:35 - 08 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:33 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

Nope. You can tow various combinations up to 3.5 tonnes without a B+E license and up to 4250 in some circumstances. Tachographs are only requred where driving is your job, and for hire and reward (lorry based horseboxes dont need them for example unless you're a breeder)

750kg is the max weight for any trailer, but be aware most cars will have an unbraked towing limit much less than this. (A VW bora for example is 406kg)

Sorry I take some of that back. You can tow a 750kg trailer with a 3,500kg van (4,250kg combined) on B without +E. You're right about that.

However the two points I was trying to make are:

1) if you're trailer is over 750kg and therefore braked you will need +E entitlement for the category vehicle you are driving

2) as you say if you're towing for hire and reward (in other words commercially / for your business or work) the combined limit of vehicle plus trailer is 3,500kg without a tacho, anything more than that would require a tacho even if it was a 2,800kg van towing a 750kg trailer (combined 3,550kg) you could do that on just B without the +E but you would need a tacho.

Still wrong on the B+E and correct on the tacho, but completely irrelevant to the question, which was building a light trailer for a motorcycle. Please check what you're posting before filling the internet with even more misleading information on trailer regs.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:06 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Buying one Reply with quote

If its can be fully dismantled and packed away I woukd also be interested
I buy the odd bike or 2 and use my Dads transit,however as he is semi retired ,and the van is not Ulez compliant ,he is thinking of getting rid and I dont have any other means of picking a bike up

Let me know if you sell any ,cash sale ,as its a "old trailer " so would want it unpainted to reflect its age and no need to be vosa inspected etc ......[/b]

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make something that can be put in car....check out motolug...had one 7 years. Goes in back of 3 door golf gti.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

That's cool! How does it affect cornering/stability? I.e. do you have to go really slow and upright round corners?

No. It leans with the bike and just follows it. I've made sure the linkage acts through the line of the top shock linkage meaning it doesn't try to lift the back end under braking. In theory I could do wheelies with it on (if you could wheelie the bike).

It wags a bit at high(er) speeds -read 60-65 for a bullet-, worse if the weight is up high. That's more an issue with flex in the rear subrfame than the trailer. If it was more ridgidly attached, this wouldn't happen. That said, speed limit is 50 with a trailer on.

A mate had a similar one on his 1200 bandit with a truck harvey spicer for a linkage and it would go full speed and do wheelies/burnouts with the trailer on. I think virus on this forum may have that trailer now.

Trailers that Sway.

I like this explanation.

https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
If you want to make something that can be put in car....check out motolug...had one 7 years. Goes in back of 3 door golf gti.

I've seen the Motolugs and to be fair they do look decent. They have a knack where they're able to factor in certain profiles of folded metal. Unless those profiles can be bought or found at a reasonable price then I'm out.(I will look) It'd add serious cost to the budget if I had some sheet bent to that shape. Wouldn't mind but I used to have full access to a 20 foot long profile bender - good old China took that companys work..
I'm more thinking general trailer design but with something resembling pipe flanges/bolts + nuts that can be spannered apart in less than an hour.
We've a saying up here. 'It'll do for pit work' which basically means over-engineered, looks kinda OTT but will never fail and will always work perfectly. That rough looking design would help hide the fact it's a new build.

With previous trailers I didn't really follow measurements and simply built them using what was available and what worked well. The bases tended to start with a caravan chasis that I'd bagged for free. Those old caravan bases are too heavy to lug around in parts in a car.
I'll definitely make measurements and notes about this to help people. If it turns out easy enough then yes I'll make more. That will be limited though because my prime source for metal to make it will be a local farm scrap metal pile! Some of the profiles of metal in it actually got me thinking about a trailer.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
[..my prime source for metal to make it will be a local farm scrap metal pile! Some of the profiles of metal in it actually got me thinking about a trailer.

Ha, yes every farm has one. Just pinched a small piece of 2mm sheet ( a trailer shutter) to make some headlight brackets.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2