Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Security for MY2000 VFR800

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:01 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Security for MY2000 VFR800 Reply with quote

I'm hoping somebody has already been through this so here's my question...

I'm looking for a good quality chain to lock the bike up while I'm at work. Not sure what options I've got in the way of chaining it to fixed object but I'm more interested in where the chain is best threaded through the bike. I think the rear wheel is too quick and easy to get out to consider that, I know it's better to get the lock off the floor if possible.

I should add that the bike hasn't been delivered yet but would like to be ready when it does.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally chain through the rear wheel (position the bike laterally from the object I'm chaining it to so the chain is suspended in the air, obviously if it's in line it can be wheeled back to a degree) and use a disclock on the front. I think the rear wheel requires more faff and effort to remove and unless the bike is on a centre stand (or the CS can be easily accessed, again having the chain taught should help with this) then it's pretty secure. Going through the frame is the other option, but I'd probably say that even if it's just the rear wheel the weakest point is probably the chain/lock rather than the ability to remove the rear wheel (and fit another one so it can be wheeled away)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:21 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR has a single side swingarm. Undo 4 nuts and the wheel lifts off like a car wheel.

There is pretty much nowhere you'd get a thick chain through the frame. It's totally full of engine.

Rear wheel and mainstand? The mainstand pivot is enough of a PITA to remove when you want to.

Rear wheel and lifting handle on the left side?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
VFR has a single side swingarm. Undo 4 nuts and the wheel lifts off like a car wheel.

Locking wheel nut? Is that a thing for bike wheels?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:59 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Not on the 800, not easily. I had to try to do it recently and basically failed at it. I managed to move the wheel back by about 2 inches which was enough for me to get my new shock in, but if I wanted to completely remove the wheel I would have had to remove the exhaust silencer which is rusted in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pragmasis make a Pinch Pin specifically for the VFR (And other single swingers) that nicely slots through the wheel hub. I use one with a Pragmasis chain and Squire lock that fits the pin.

https://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Bit of an arse for a 'mobile' solution since you have to cart the heavy pin around but...you asked, and that's pretty much THE solution for VFR security.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise it was a single sided swing arm - my bad.

weasley wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

This sounds like an obvious and logical idea, although I don't think locking nuts are mega secure on cars generally but don't need to be as alloys aren't generally as desirable as a bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:15 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Not on the 800, not easily. I had to try to do it recently and basically failed at it. I managed to move the wheel back by about 2 inches which was enough for me to get my new shock in, but if I wanted to completely remove the wheel I would have had to remove the exhaust silencer which is rusted in place.

I was working on the principal that most people will have encountered this issue by now and sorted it out. Pretty sure the big "flexible gasket" thing the rusty clamp goes around is unobtainable by now. Usually solved either by fitting a high level exhaust or an end section on a slip-joint. That's what I did on both my 750s which have the same setup.

The best solution to that issue (of removing the wheel easily, not securing the bike) is a left hand exit exhaust system, which is what the RC30 had but wasn't carried across to the "vanilla" V4s for some utterly unfathomable reason, totally negating the main advantage of a single side swingarm. An expensive solution though but something to consider if the sytem needs replacing at some point.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:34 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just park my bike in a carpark that has armed police as guards.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:11 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't locking the bike down to something immovable, you are essentially lugging an effing great chain and padlock about to give you about as much security as a cheap disc-lock....

Out and about, I have an MP-Top-Lock, which is one of the first disc-locks on the UK market, quarter of a century ago, and quite a good one, unlike the copies that followed.... BUT, to offer a bit of added, I have a hefty security cable, who's (is that propper English?!?) eyes, it will lock together, so I can use it like both a discie and, all-be-it 'weak' padlock and chain... I can tie the bike to something hard and immovable-ish, like a lamp-post or the railings outside ASDA if I find anything like that.

The Disck-lock, even though a good one, is not much of a deterrent, and absolutely no precaution against a wheel-away. But it's 'something'; the cable? Not much more, b-u-t, it is 'more' and will stall a wheel-away...

Main security though is that the bikes a 25 year old Honda CB Seven-Fifty, and not all that shiny......

2ooo model year VFR, aint much younger in the bigger scheme of things, or that much more desirable; (Having pondered a few times, the potential problems I'd be buying with an 'older' VFR have always left me appreciating the DIY fix-ability of the simpler, unsophisticated air-cooled offering, I have, TBH)... so how much 'security' do you really need to hang on to it, and how much is reasonable to spend on it, or have to lugg-around?

Basically, do you really need much more than a disc-lock? Especially if you cant tie-mi-Kangroo-down?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:42 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Pragmasis make a Pinch Pin specifically for the VFR (And other single swingers) that nicely slots through the wheel hub. I use one with a Pragmasis chain and Squire lock that fits the pin.

https://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Bit of an arse for a 'mobile' solution since you have to cart the heavy pin around but...you asked, and that's pretty much THE solution for VFR security.

Had a good look at this and the location I'd be locking at. Convention seems to be to back your bike up towards the very substantial railings and use that if you can. I think a 2m 16mm chain and pin will work well in my case. I'll pick out a suitably small waterproof tail pack for transporting it around in when I get it. Thanks for the tip!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice side effect of using the pinch pin on a hollow axle swinger is that as long as you've chained it to something sturdy then a thief will have to cut TWO full links to get it off. As opposed to if the chain were looped round say the centre stand or an exhaust meaning they only have to cut one link. Add to that the pin means the rear wheel can't be taken off at all, and the Squire fortress lock is damn near impossible to attack. All win.

Add a disk lock to the front and you've made your bike a complete and utter pain in the arse to steal (They've also got HISS immobiliser to deal with on top of that, which means an ECU swap to even get it started) . Not impossible, but it's a near guarantee they'll abandon the idea and move onto something else (That and who the fuck steals a VFR anyway!?)

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id just wrap a chain through the wheel and swingarm, 2x disc locks on the front with reminder wires. (if its a shitty area)

If someones manages to go through that with a angle grinder you are not stopping them anyway...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I saw a link to a cheap set of locking wheel nut thwarters on here recently.
I never knew such things existed. Shocked Smile

https://youtu.be/AV0eka72EIg

https://youtu.be/Xwwj4y7lHRg

I think Polarbear linked to a set. They employ a tapered LH spiral bore to slip over the offending locking nut.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1