Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance No Claims Expired

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shakou
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:28 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Bike Insurance No Claims Expired Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Hope all is well. Does anyone have experience getting motorbike insurance after taking a break, my No Claims has elapsed. Unfortunately my health hasn't been great so I have had no choice but to take a break, prolapsed disk you see painful bastard that was!

I have an Sv650 S & I want to get that back up running then probably sell it to get ZX-6R 05/06 636 Ninja really want to get one. I have a garage which is lucky. I will need probably just social insurance, business would be great if it wasn't too much more. (I don't work in one place thus commuting is no good)

I put all the details into an insurance quote thingy it came up with something around 8K for a ninja which is crazy, I would understand if I hadn't got any experience etc!

Does anyone have experience of insurance in this situation & which insurance companies won't rip people off.

Thanks!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have proof of your old NC bonus I would phone round and see what can be offered to you rather than rely on comparison sites. Computers have no leeway built in (mind you neither have some insurance monkeys) Rolling Eyes

Just something else to think about. Local insurance brokers.

My house insurance (non traditional construction) was coming back £500/600 sort of figures from comparison sites. I Went into an insurance broker and he got it for me for half that with much better excesses and the like.

Maybe it would work with your bike insurance.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice is head to the section about insurance on this forum - I think it's in New Bikers?

Read through the advice given (stickies) and read ALL comments and get up to date with them. It's a lot to go through but do it.
Don't rely on comparisons.
Always phone and speak to a person at a company.
Make sure to get ALL of the small print and understand it.
Seek the cover which is best for you and not the insurer!
Money talks - if you have to then play two companies off against each other.
Be prepared for days of telephoning around. Remember: regardless of going for a computerised quote you're going to have to speak to a person anyway.
Forget naming a shed as storage - look at quotes for the bike being stored outside your house on the garden path. Sometimes it's cheaper!!

I've a feeling your high quotes are only those which matched your needs via a search?
Ignore them because it's not going to be as bad as you think.

Me? Back after a huge break and with no no-claims. My bike is a 400cc but very very attractive to scum. My locality is average getting on for bad.
My insurance with lots of bits added is less than £200.

Insurers are not anyones friend. Remember that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:12 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt a 636 will be great for you if you have a bad back!!

However, you just need to call every insurance company, use all the price comparisons etc etc. Take business off, as far as they are concerned that equals courier as far as bike insurance is concerned. Just use the bike for SD&P.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Just use the bike for SD&P.
DOn't you need commuting too, I mean if you actually commute? I always thought they would ask what you were doing and where you were going at 08:45 on a week day if you had a claim?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:50 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Just use the bike for SD&P.
DOn't you need commuting too, I mean if you actually commute? I always thought they would ask what you were doing and where you were going at 08:45 on a week day if you had a claim?

He said he doesn't work in the same place, so it's a grey area. I'd say just don't use the bike to commute, at least until the premium is reasonable.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Baffler186 wrote:

He said he doesn't work in the same place, so it's a grey area. I'd say just don't use the bike to commute, at least until the premium is reasonable.

Who says 'commuting' to work has to be the same place of work though? You can be damned sure that insurance companies won't, if ever there's a claim.

MarJay wrote:
at least until the premium is reasonable.

Why not indefinitely, if the strategy is safe? Thinking

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:46 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Who says 'commuting' to work has to be the same place of work though? You can be damned sure that insurance companies won't, if ever there's a claim.

Umm... Insurance companies? Mine says "Social domestic and pleasure including commuting to your usual place of business"

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Umm... Insurance companies? Mine says "Social domestic and pleasure including commuting to your usual place of business"

I suppose as usual, the devil's in the detail then, which the OP needs to look at carefully! Just checked my own, and in contrast, that says "commuting to and from any place of business"...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:12 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I suppose as usual, the devil's in the detail then, which the OP needs to look at carefully! Just checked my own, and in contrast, that says "commuting to and from any place of business"...

But again, if your business were, for example, a travelling salesperson or something, you're not travelling to your business, but to others, and between businesses might qualify as 'business use'. That's what I've been told before. I've also been told that if I'm carrying company equipment between sites this qualifies as business use.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you have proof of your old NC bonus I would phone round and see what can be offered to you rather than rely on comparison sites. Computers have no leeway built in (mind you neither have some insurance monkeys) Rolling Eyes

Monkeys?

Are you implying that insurance brokers are funny?

🤣

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting means the same place of work every day (in insurer-speak). I had one insurer refuse to offer me commuting cover when I told them I work in construction but gave me 'business use 1' which is 'use in conjunction with your employer's business'. It's NOT the same as courier/delivery cover because it specifically excludes the carrying of goods in conjunction with the business so the loading is a lot less. When I asked for that instead of commuting it was 15 quid more, but that was quiet a few years ago.

BTW if you ever do under-declare the use for commuting etc be aware that -.in London at least - the cops run rush hour stop checks specifically to catch people out on bikes.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Monkeys?

Are you implying that insurance brokers are funny?

🤣

I feel dirty, guilty of stereotyping. I have lumped poor monkeys in with insurance salesmen. Sorry monkeys.

I'm off to self flagellate.

Well, wifie won't do it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of expiring NCB, does it expire from the date you got your bonus, or from when you last used it on a policy? Say if you had a policy then cancelled it without adding to your NCB, would that reset the 2 year thingy?

Probably not much help to the OP but Adrian Flux apparently except expired NCB, it might be worth seeing if any bike insurers do.

Edit: are bikesure part of AF?

Shakou
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:05 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I doubt a 636 will be great for you if you have a bad back!!

However, you just need to call every insurance company, use all the price comparisons etc etc. Take business off, as far as they are concerned that equals courier as far as bike insurance is concerned. Just use the bike for SD&P.

Nah it will be fine, the actual injury has healed with just residual nerve damage I think though that is to be expected just stretch the sciatic nerve keep it mobile is the best option there is. Lots of time in the gym, need to get the core strength & fitness back...

If I'm going to ride to work then I need business insurance I never go the same place often. It isn't very likely most of the time because I have too much equipment to fit on a bike!

Getting back on a bike for is hobby more than anything. Besides I cars/vans are fucking dull drive... Numbs the mind.

Oh the SV650 S is far cheaper to insure, so I may just spend the summer on the bike I have.

Thanks for advice. I'm not doing anything until it gets warmer anyways, worth while thinking about it now... If anyone knows about how to get bike that has been in storage back on the road that will be super useful.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no NCB anymore either, as like OP I had a 5year break from owning a road legal bike while doing up the house etc.

It'll be of zilch help to OP, but I've found that losing 8-10years NCB through letting it lapse has not hurt me financially, because all my insurance policies are classic bike/car policies which don't accrue or accept NCB anyway.

If I were to buy a new bike, I expect that I could use my last 5years of insurance cover as proof of having no claims while having older bikes and car.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to this discussion, however, I can tell you that I had a very similar situation to OP and was told that NCB (of which I had max, from 11 years claim free riding) would only be valid for 2 years not insured (i.e. no bike).

After that, it's back to zero. I was told that this was standard practise accross the board, so I had to accept it. Luckily, I'm an old fart - i.e. over 50 - so my insurance is cheap anyway - currently at £73 fully comp for my Fazer Thou with now 6 years NCB.

As a related aside, we went from a bike only family to a car family (dozey Lithuanian lady knocked me & mrs off by swerving into our lane without looking/indicating and scared the Mrs from riding for a couple of years) and were allowed to transfer my maximum bike NCB to the car we bought.

Couple of years later, when Mrs had recovered her psychological trauma, we went back to bike-only family. Insurance companies refused to let me take the NCB back to bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1