Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Driving in the eu after Britain leaves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:04 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Driving in the eu after Britain leaves Reply with quote

Maybe a re-post.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit#requirements-for-all-uk-drivers-when-driving-abroad-from-29-march-2019

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So any euro chap can continue to drive over here unencumbered with additional requirements, but when I go on holiday I might need a green card, an international driving permit, and change my number plate to remove the EU bit on the edge or stick a great big GB target sticker on the back.

Is this just part of the project fear, or is this likely? If it is, shouldn't we be mirroring the inconvenience to them? Confused

EDIT: I think you can just cover up the Euro stars on the number plate and be compliant.
IDP costs £5.50 form the post office. Green card should be simple enough.

Really this stuff isn't a big deal at all, but if the EU insists that we revert to having to do this it'll illustrate how petty minded they are. There's no benefit to it, and no genuine reason to not agree this stuff before exit.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is small spuds in reality.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m off at the end of the month for a good bye visit a load of beers and a Zafira full of Belgium beer and French wine.

My usual holiday is somewhere like Spain Cyprus or Greece but can’t be arsed for the hassle so I’m off to Israel this year and with the exception of business travel I will avoid the EU.

I will have to visit Ireland though, then again I fecking hate Leo and if it weren’t for having lots of Irish as family i’d Avoid it too.

#AvoidEU #feckem

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you wanted brexit, it's just one of the small minor inconveniences that will come along, still, hardly the end of the world, think of it, as a return to those good old days. To be fair, it's not as onerous as driving in some other countries, where you might need a carnet de passage as well as an international driving licence

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
So any euro chap can continue to drive over here unencumbered with additional requirements, but when I go on holiday I might need a green card, an international driving permit, and change my number plate to remove the EU bit on the edge or stick a great big GB target sticker on the back.

Is this just part of the project fear, or is this likely? If it is, shouldn't we be mirroring the inconvenience to them? Confused

EDIT: I think you can just cover up the Euro stars on the number plate and be compliant.

Really this stuff isn't a big deal at all, but if the EU insists that we revert to having to do this it'll illustrate how petty minded they are. There's no benefit to it, and no genuine reason to not agree this stuff before exit.

It drives British tourists away from the EU and helps push the EU deeper into recession Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may also be expected to learn to speak Frog, Clog, Bosch, Tally, and Deigo as the Europeans will not talk to us in English after 29th March. Shocked

Crumbso
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:48 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
jnw010 wrote:

It drives British tourists away from the EU and helps push the EU deeper into recession Wink

Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
We may also be expected to learn to speak Frog, Clog, Bosch, Tally, and Deigo as the Europeans will not talk to us in English after 29th March. Shocked

This is interesting; English will remain as an "Official" EU language, not "downgraded", but only 1% of the EU population remaining will have English as their own country's official language (Ireland, Malta). Perhaps it's because of the world's use of language:

The Top 10 Most Spoken Languages in the World

Mandarin Chinese (1.1 billion speakers) ...
English (983 million speakers) ...
Hindustani (544 million speakers) ...
Spanish (527 million speakers) ...
Arabic (422 million speakers) ...
Malay (281 million speakers) ...
Russian (267 million speakers) ...
Bengali (261 million speakers)

There's also the fact that English is studied far more widely than any other language in the EU, probably due to the number of speakers globally.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my most enjoyable and spectacular overseas roads trips have NOT taken place anywhere in Europe. If making
a few arrangements to organise green card and IDPs is too much effort for a traveller who aims to take a road trip overseas
then it's their lookout, isn't it? Probably the same dickheads who don't get proper insurance then bleat when they injure
themselves and aren't covered by the insurance which they arranged for themselves. Twenty minutes in a Post Office and it's
all quickly sorted. Small inconvenience for giving Tusk and Co the finger IMO. Now, where's my blue passport...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

This is interesting; English will remain as an "Official" EU language, not "downgraded", but only 1% of the EU population remaining will have English as their own country's official language (Ireland, Malta). Perhaps it's because of the world's use of language:

There's also the fact that English is studied far more widely than any other language in the EU, probably due to the number of speakers globally.

It's also the recognised language of business, which to be fair, you can place that on America's doorstep, on top of that, you have laws, such as no matter what country you're operating in, communications in aviation, such as between the aircraft and control tower have to be in English, at least where civil aircraft are concerned.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:37 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only comparatively recently you stopped having to do all this anyway.

The implication is that we've been able to do all this ever since we joined the EEC but we haven't. I remember going on holiday to France as a kid (so late 80's). We had to get a green card. We had to put a GB sticker on the back of the car, we had to dye the headlights yellow.

We also went through customs on the way back and you couldn't just take as much tobacco and booze as you wanted without paying duty. I remember my old man having a load of pipe tobacco stashed about the place in his Nissan Bluebird diesel and a guilty expression on his face.

Anyway. I'd be all for unilateral action by the Uk government to encourage tourists to enter the UK with as little hassle as possible. Same at the Irish border. Let the EU set up customs checks if they feel they have to, we'll do remote customs declarations. Huge queues going into Ireland, free run through the other way. See who looks unreasonable.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The implication is that we've been able to do all this ever since we joined the EEC but we haven't. I remember going on holiday to France as a kid (so late 80's). We had to get a green card. We had to put a GB sticker on the back of the car, we had to dye the headlights yellow.

We also went through customs on the way back and you couldn't just take as much tobacco and booze as you wanted without paying duty. I remember my old man having a load of pipe tobacco stashed about the place in his Nissan Bluebird diesel and a guilty expression on his face.

Anyway. I'd be all for unilateral action by the Uk government to encourage tourists to enter the UK with as little hassle as possible. Same at the Irish border. Let the EU set up customs checks if they feel they have to, we'll do remote customs declarations. Huge queues going into Ireland, free run through the other way. See who looks unreasonable.

More generally this is the worst fear of the EU as an efficient Britain outside the EU would show how inefficient EU regulations are a drag on the economy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:12 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Does this mean we should all change our licences to euro ones so we can to enjoy this new system. Thinking

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
(English) is also the recognised language of business, which to be fair, you can place that on America's doorstep

I didn't know they invented English.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
MCN wrote:

Well. English is a pigeon of Euro languages it's as foreign to us as it is to the rest of Europe.
It's just that we use it as our national language.
We have more than one native language in the U.K.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

More generally this is the worst fear of the EU as an efficient Britain outside the EU would show how inefficient EU regulations are a drag on the economy.

Do you mean the immigration/border/passport checks or a more complex effect on business?

As far as passport checks it really only been since 911 we've had to faph about with liquids gels laptops etc. Just security. It added about 20 mins to the check time.
The other delays are due to passenger numbers.
I travel through Schiphol twice a month. Electronic passport readers and streamline bag checks. If no queue it takes less than five minutes to go through.

The slow part is actually in the UK where we employ the Third Reich to check bags. Alot of master-wankers under those peaked caps. 😂

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Welsh, Gaelic, Cornish and whatever Geordies think they have that counts as a language? Smile You'd be hard pressed to find someone who only speaks one of those languages and not English.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MCN wrote:

Welsh, Gaelic, Cornish and whatever Geordies think they have that counts as a language? Smile You'd be hard pressed to find someone who only speaks one of those languages and not English.

My point.
English is the pigeon. It's only been developed over time by it's use in religion, commerce and law.
It's not a pure language.
The English speakers of the UK forget this when ever they critique another man's English.
There must be a word (in English) for that sort of linguistic bigotry. Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
My point. English is the pigeon.

"Pidgin".

English is not pidgin. English is a highly evolved and complex language, probably the one with the most words in it. Pidgin is a simplified mishmash of words in various languages to allow basic communication between people with different languages who would not otherwise be able to understand each other. It has many versions, many of which have little in common.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:59 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:10 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
My point.
English is the pigeon. It's only been developed over time by it's use in religion, commerce and law.
It's not a pure language.
The English speakers of the UK forget this when ever they critique another man's English.
There must be a word (in English) for that sort of linguistic bigotry. Very Happy

It's a highly descriptive language which encompasses words from different languages. Note how immigrants speaking in a different language often drop in the odd English word.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:30 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Latin though, is it?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:31 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Eh, ah, di ting wey mai eye see, mi mouth no fit talk am!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:06 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Eh, ah, di ting wey mai eye see, mi mouth no fit talk am!

Paul Gascoigne perchance?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2