Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Somewhat (un)interesting things I didn't realise.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing an x-ray laser at tiny jets of water creates micro-bubbles which in turn explode creating an intensity that eclipses that of a rocket launch.

The intensity was equivalent to directing the electrical power of an entire city onto a single square meter, resulting in sound pressures above 270 decibels.

128dB Loudest human scream
130dB Marching band of 200 members
132dB Eardrum vibration noticeable
133dB Gunshot
135dB “Very loud” street car stereo. Bass only
140dB Threshold of pain, all frequencies
140dB Hearing protection required (definite long term damage)
140dB human throat and vocal cord resonance occurs
141dB Nausea felt after a few minutes
144dB Nose itches due to hair vibrations
145dB Vision blurs due to eyeball vibration
147dB Formula 1 race car full throttle drive-by
149dB Human lungs and breathing begins vibrating to the sound

150dB Loud rock concert, at speakers
150dB Sensation of being compressed as if underwater
152dB Vibration is painful and felt in joints
153dB Throat vibrating so hard it is impossible to swallow
154dB Compression will burst a balloon
155dB Experience cooling from excited air movement, up to 15 degree C perceived cooling
158dB Inside of a rock concert speaker bin with 5000 watts power
160dB Flashlight exhibits electromagnetic pulsing (dimming during tone)

163dB NHRA Top Fuel Dragsters- 5000 to 7000 horsepower
163dB Possible glass breaking level
164dB Internal sound pressure of a large jet turbine
165dB Jet airplane, Example: Boeing 727, at take off
170.75dB = 1 pound per square inch
172dB Fog is created, depending on the temperature, dew point and humidity
174dB Air begins to heat up due to compression
175dB Quarter dynamite stick, very close pressure may exceed 210 db.

177dB = 2 pound per square inch

180dB 1 pound TNT at 15 feet
181.6dB Loudest extreme SPL car in the world
183dB = 6 PSI. On large scale would result in total destruction of all structures, and particle velocity of 180 miles per hour.
191dB 1 lb. bomb or grenade at blast epicentre
193.979dB 1 bar pressure, 14.504 pounds per square inch

195dB Human eardrums rupture

202dB Death from sound wave (shock) alone.
210.6dB Earthquake Richter scale equivalent 2.0

213dB Sonic boom generates approximately 1.2 gigawatts power equivalent

215dB Space shuttle launches exhaust, approximately 3 miles per second
215dB Battleship New Jersey firing all 9 sixteen inch guns
216dB Equivalent to a piston engine cylinder with a 9 to 1 compression ratio
235.19dB Earthquake Richter 5.0 or 31,624 tons of TNT
243dB Largest non-nuclear explosion ever, 1947 explosion in Nazi u-boat pens used 7100 tons of explosive

248dB Atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, August 6th & 9th, 1945. Total disintegration of 16 square miles, wind was around 300 miles per hour, destroyed 28” thick concrete walls at 1 mile distance. Leaving a crater 633 feet wide and 80 feet deep.

286dB Mt. Saint Helens volcanic eruption

310dB Krakatau volcanic eruption 1883. Cracked one foot thick concrete at 300 miles, created a 3000 foot tidal wave, and heard 3100 miles away, sound pressure caused barometers to fluctuate wildly at 100 miles indicating levels of 190db at that distance from blast site. Rocks thrown to a height of 34 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 17 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling all the tape off of a roll of sellotape makes enough X-rays to take a picture through a little finger.

I read that somewhere, can't remember where though.

Googled it, it has to be in a vacuum when you do it apparently.
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/411085/x-rays-made-with-scotch-tape/

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 18 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light travels through a diamond at only 40% of the speed it travels through a vacuum.

Well, the shit you learn!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip YFPOS wrote:
Light travels through a diamond at only 40% of the speed it travels through a vacuum.

Is that because it bounces back and forth between the various internal facets of a diamond?

And is that number achieved with a pure white diamond and would it slow down even more if it were travelling through a so called black diamond, where some of the light would be more successfully absorbed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:03 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Is that because it bounces back and forth between the various internal facets of a diamond?

And is that number achieved with a pure white diamond and would it slow down even more if it were travelling through a so called black diamond, where some of the light would be more successfully absorbed?

Not necessarily. Light slows down because it interacts with the electric fields of all the electrons present in the material. If it does 'bounce back and forth' in the material, it'll be dispersed and create a clouded effect, making it difficult to see through.

This isn't always the case though. In glass, light travels at 60% of its natural speed. Glass windows still seem pretty clear though, so not much dispersion is taking place.

Most fascinating is that the speed increases back to 100% when it leaves the material. This is a strong pointer to the fact that light speed is indeed the universal speed limit, in that it doesn't seem to be dictated by the human concept of 'speed' at all. I prefer to see it as the raw transfer of energy and information.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Wouldn't that mean that it would vary from diamond to diamond? I didn't get an in-depth explanation, but seemed to me the chap (Neil deGrasse Tyson) was talking about diamond as a general medium.

Also I didn't know that we can manufacture diamond, and it's purer than anything nature produces, although only small diamonds are produced so far - no Koh-i-Noors yet!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 12:37 - 19 May 2019; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where the whole quantum thing is a bit weird! Photons are not physical objects like a tennis ball that behaves predictably. Then again they're not exactly a pure force like gravity, strong & weak forces or electromagnetism.

If you want an "easy" example of this kind of weirdness check out Quantum Tunnelling using this effect in a Field Effect Transistor could potentially drop the power consumption of computer chips by at least an order of magnitude.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
This is where the whole quantum thing is a bit weird! Photons are not physical objects like a tennis ball that behaves predictably. Then again they're not exactly a pure force like gravity, strong & weak forces or electromagnetism.

If you want an "easy" example of this kind of weirdness check out [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling"]Quantum Tunnelling[/url] using this effect in a Field Effect Transistor could potentially drop the power consumption of computer chips by at least an order of magnitude.

I love all this stuff Smile
I don't pretend to understand half of it. But didn't some famous physicist say if you think you understand quantum theory you've got it wrong, or some such?
Jim Al Khalili has a good book for us laymen - Quantum Theory for the Perplexed Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck theory...I want facts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Fuck theory...I want facts.

Stay away from quantum then Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

310dB Krakatau volcanic eruption 1883...created a 3000 foot tidal wave

Shocked

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

310dB Krakatau volcanic eruption 1883...created a 3000 foot tidal wave

Shocked

As a lover of facts I too questioned that. Not like they had good quality school rulers in those days.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

If you want an "easy" example of this kind of weirdness check out [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling"]Quantum Tunnelling[/url] using this effect in a Field Effect Transistor could potentially drop the power consumption of computer chips by at least an order of magnitude.

Quantum tunnelling is the reason Moore's Law has finally finished. Transistors cannot get any smaller now, because the circuitry is so tiny that quantum tunnelling effects start to happen. Electrons can just jump across to places where they shouldn't be, causing a short-circuit.

The race for increased computing power now lies in super-conductor technology and super-cooling, which rely on material conductance properties and material coldness respectively (rather than the simple concept of how small we can pack things in), both of which give electrons less room to undergo quantum tunnelling.

I love all this stuff Smile
I don't pretend to understand half of it. But didn't some famous physicist say if you think you understand quantum theory you've got it wrong, or some such?

I've heard this too, I believe it was Richard Feynman who said it.

To be honest, I think he just added unnecessary mysticism to the subject. At the time it was still a new and rapidly advancing area of research, regularly smashing all the old ideas about how physics works. For people in that era, it definitely will have been an extreme mind-bender. A bit like when Newton formulated the equations of motion.

Fast forward 60 years and quantum mechanics is now a firmly understood topic, no more special than Newtonian mechanics. Its newness has worn off; there's nothing world-shaking about stating that "matter is wave-like at the fundamental level" and basing mathematical calculations on that fact.

This is going to sound really pompous but I don't mean it in this way: When I learned about quantum tunnelling at university, it was fascinating but no more extraordinary than learning about the physics of gyroscopes or wave dynamics. It was more a case of, "Ah yeah, that makes sense actually, cool."

The only reason quantum mechanics is given such mystical status is because it's not taught at all at high school level, so the vast majority of the general population have to rely on shitty pop-science articles to understand it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm thick, so it needs to be kept as simple as possible if I'm to grasp any of it Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

As a lover of facts I too questioned that. Not like they had good quality school rulers in those days.

It may be that it has been calculated since. But that's like the height of Mt. Snowdon!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1958 they recorded a tidal wave of 1,720ft in Alaska after an earthquake Fact. Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
In 1958 they recorded a tidal wave of 1,720ft in Alaska after an earthquake Fact. Smile

That was the most powerful earthquake ever recorded, wasn't it? It was after that that they discovered the fault - a plate boundary where subduction was occurring - off the coast of Alaska. They spent time looking for something on land first, but nothing obvious, although some areas had been raised up by several feet, and some had sunk by a similar amount as the movement in the fault tilted the land. Plate tectonics was still a controversial subject back then.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dun found Quantum.

It's Royal Institution so deffo 4real.

https://youtu.be/dW7J49UTns8

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I dun found Quantum.

It's Royal Institution so deffo 4real.

https://youtu.be/dW7J49UTns8

The bit about infinity being impossible kind of 'rang' with me. I was thinking about something along those lines last night funnily enough, in these terms: if something extends all the way to infinity, what does "to" mean in that context? You can never reach a point, so "to" is meaningless. I thought it might just be a language problem, but then...

My brain exploded! Hurt

But we just got rid of infinity...brilliant, I can think again! Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

This is going to sound really pompous but I don't mean it in this way: When I learned about quantum tunnelling at university, it was fascinating but no more extraordinary than learning about the physics of gyroscopes or wave dynamics. It was more a case of, "Ah yeah, that makes sense actually, cool."

You've probably got it wrong then Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with infinity is this:

∞ + 1 = ∞

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 19 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
The problem with infinity is this:

∞ + 1 = ∞

You can't add anything to infinity. What are you adding onto? There's nothing there, no there, no point you can reach to add something to.

The gist of the lecture that HT posted above, if I've got it right (and there's a very good chance I haven't Laughing ), or the infinity part of it, was actually about infinitesimally small things, a singularity. Specifically, a singularity at the beginning of the universe. But if the universe is made of, let's call it "stuff", space itself is made of "stuff" which has a finite size, then you can't have a singularity at the beginning, because you can only compress this "stuff" so far. It has a finite size per unit at it's smallest possible compression. So the universe may actually have 'bounced' from compression from a previous state of being, a previous universe that contracted back. So big bang->expansion->contraction->big bang (bounce) etc may actually be what happens. I extrapolate this to: the universe itself can never be infinitely large, or it would take an infinite time to expand, from its beginning at the (or rather, a) big bang, so it could never contract. It could never reach a point at which expansion stops and contraction begins. Bingo! No such thing as infinity, neither infinitely large, nor infinitesimally small!

Hurt

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

didn't some famous physicist say if you think you understand quantum theory you've got it wrong, or some such?

I've heard this too, I believe it was Richard Feynman who said it.

I got this wrong too Rolling Eyes

It was Niels Bohr, who said anyone who isn't shocked by quantum physics hasn't understood it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:11 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
∞ + 1 = ∞

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet-related_injuries_and_deaths#Exploding_toilets

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Some people reach for the gutter, some people reach for the stars Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14