Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3D printer PSU upgrade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: 3D printer PSU upgrade Reply with quote

A few days ago I bought a 3d printer kit from a friend and over the last couple of days I've been spending a couple of hours in the evenings (and about an hour in the mornings), building it.

All I've got to do now is connect all the wires etc, but I've been reading that the PSU is usually crap, I've read that it's possible to use an ATX PSU.

Has anyone done this? How easy is it to wire up etc? What's the benefits vs cons?

Also I've bought a couple of fans to help cool the model quicker, is there anything else I should be thinking of upgrading early on?

I've never used a 3d printer, so I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with it after I've finished building it.

It's a Tevo Tarantula, if that makes any difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://all3dp.com/1/tevo-tarantula-review-a-3d-printing-fixer-upper/

Looks like you may have your work cut out for you

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason to replace the PSU until it fails.
Don't be swayed by stories of them catching fire, they dont.
Yes you can use any PSU that can output 12V at around 20A if you like.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
https://all3dp.com/1/tevo-tarantula-review-a-3d-printing-fixer-upper/

Looks like you may have your work cut out for you

OK I had a quick glance over that site, mainly the pros and cons..... I thought they had it spot on, but then I thought about some other little jobs I've done.... so just from the Cons list:

Frame isn't rigid enough: So far it's taken my ham fistedness throwing it around a table and with the exception of going round and doing a final nut and bolt check... the frame is sturdier than it needs to be for me.

Poor quality control: I definitely agree with this when looking at the mass of parts before building, but beginning, middle and end of building, everything has gone together with millimeter precision.

Infuriating instructionsThe instruction booklet is a complete joke to be honest, I tried to follow the instruction booklet and it took me almost 2 hours to fit 3 tubes together, there is an extremely detailed 94 minute video on youtube that when I watched it the parts practically put themselves together.

Missing essential parts so far I haven't found any missing parts, OK more linked to poor quality control I've had 1 bolt that was poorly machined and didn't have the threads cut in to it, otherwise I've had allocated bags having far too many parts for the job but other bags being short of parts.... with my printer fully built so far the only "essential" part that has been almost missing is the threadless bolt... which is technically still there.

The problems I found from building this printer (so far):
An extra small allen key for 4 screws wasn't included (used a pound shop screwdriver set instead).
A 4-5mm spanner for 8 bolts wasn't included, I pressed a nail on the bolts and used the allen key at the other end.

Time to build: I paid £110 for this kit, for that money I expected to open the box, tip it over and shake out the contents and have perfectly printed models a couple of minutes later Rolling Eyes

This box contained hundreds of parts, and if anything I admire the people who build these day in and day out, I imagine there are factories expecting their minions to churn out 100 of these fully assembled printers per hour. So a few knuckle draggers got their hands on them and didn't get the concept of "do not over tighten this bolt" and applied pressure akin to attaching a 10 foot scaffolding pole to a wheel key and jumping on it, then thought the kit was shite when the nut and bolt shattered the perspex or drilled a hole right through causing the perspex to just fall right off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it built, get it calibrated,square up the axis well and level it and see what if anything looks like its giving you issues....then get the usual mods done whilst getting to grips with it Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1