Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parking resource

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about nationally, but I know our local council lists their own ones (but there aren't many!). From what I see, "official" motorcycle parking is pretty thin on the ground and most bikes are parked in grey areas (cycle hoops on pavements, against railings etc.).
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, they nick you just the same. If you're going into London and park on the pavement a ticket is almost guaranteed. That said, several London councils allow motorcycles to park in most parking bays for free. Wandsworth and Croydon are two examples.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:51 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
So is it fair to say that motorcycles generally get left alone by traffic wardens, even when technically parked illegally on a pavement or on a crosshatch or in the incorrect bay etc.?

recently worked a contract in Shoreditch which has several free bike bays, however a lot of people would park outside of offices on the bit of land i have marked here.

https://i.imgur.com/sRhw9IM.jpg

i asked one of the traffic wardens and he said that officially that area is private land and no the public pavement, so they were told not to issue tickets to bikes parked there.

i for the most part was able to find a space in the solo motor bike bays, but on a couple of occasions i parked next to building and never got a ticket.

it really depends on where in London.
[/img]

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends where you are. I see places which clearly aren't dedicated motorcycle parking around Manchester with the same bikes parking there every day so presumably they don't get tickets. I guess it's a risk when you do such things.

Asking the parking warden can be a catch22; ask them and you are also alerting them to what you're intending to do Wink

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
So is it fair to say that motorcycles generally get left alone by traffic wardens, even when technically parked illegally on a pavement or on a crosshatch or in the incorrect bay etc.?

recently worked a contract in Shoreditch which has several free bike bays, however a lot of people would park outside of offices on the bit of land i have marked here.

https://i.imgur.com/sRhw9IM.jpg

i asked one of the traffic wardens and he said that officially that area is private land and no the public pavement, so they were told not to issue tickets to bikes parked there.

i for the most part was able to find a space in the solo motor bike bays, but on a couple of occasions i parked next to building and never got a ticket.

it really depends on where in London.
[/img]
Since a court case a few years ago most councils now ticket on cellar lights, as shown in your picture, or private edge strips if they are not blocked off with bollards or walling/fencing.

I got a ticket on my bike for footway parking a few months ago as did a colleague at the same time. I was on a private part of the footway but was ticketed just the same. I appealed, got rejected, appealed again and got the ticket stopped. My appeal was on grounds related to the the GLC restriction on London wide footway parking exemptions which cover highway workers etc, even then it took the two attempts to get them to listen properly to what I was saying. We then went through the same process (twice) for my colleague's ticket.

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:39 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this app for a while now
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melashkov.mcparking&hl=en_GB

I think the data is user based but it's always been acurate (at least in london) Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1