Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Out and about chain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:11 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Out and about chain Reply with quote

Hi all, in the market for a new chain. I have an almax at work and at home but looking for an out and about chain as i am using my bike i bit more for day to day travel, gym etc. Would the pragmasis 16mm 2m noose option with the ss65c stronghold lock be too heavy in your opinion to carry about in a tailbag on the cbr6? I like the idea of the noose as saves space and 16mm as can resist croppers

Cheers

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriega US-20 can handle a 2.0 m 16 mm on a regular basis without struggle, and is probably about the only thing that will (Kriega, that is: you could probably fit it in a 10, but don't hold me to that).

You'll feel a difference in handling etc but nothing that will cause a large amount of trouble, or that can't be adjusted to.

Tie it down firmly each and every time and you'll be ok, and if you don't you'll know about it.

Pack the bottom of the Kriega with a couple of old sweatshirts; doing so means you'll get a firm ratchet rather than a disfigured on on your oddly shaped luggage (towels, tops etc: anything bulky that can fill the bottom out).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:35 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no big deal if you think about it compared to the weight of carrying a pillion passenger.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry an Oxford Monster 14mm 1.5m chain regularly in my US-20 tailpack on my ER5. The chain weighs about 7kg including the lock, plus a Monster disclock for the front, so probably about 7.5kg all in.

I notice the extra weight when moving the bike around by hand (e.g. getting out of the garage, getting it in place to lock it up etc.) but I'm not conscious of it when I'm on the bike (maybe I'm used to it?). I think it's noticeable when moving the bike about because the weight is quite high up but once I'm on it the weight becomes fairly insignificant.

Do you need a 2.0m chain? I frequently find my 1.5m chain is actually too long and I have to be inventive to get rid of the excess chain when locking it up so it doesn't sit on the ground (I'm wary of sledgehammer attacks).

If you do go down this route, I'd suggest getting a square of foam camping mat (the old Karrimat type stuff) and putting it inside your tailpack, then make sure it sits with the foam between the chain and the seat otherwise your chain can put nice dents into your seat when you tighten the straps down (mine seem to lift out gradually, but it's not a bike I'm mega precious about).

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

cheers all, I think the 1.5m should do the job tbh as I am going for the noose option (does anyone have this type of chain? - i wonder why I don't see more about as it seems a very good idea!).

I will keep a towel and my gym clothes in the bag too so that will pad it out a bit
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1