Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Second Bike Suggestions Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000cc eh? So it goes without saying you can ride like this guy on his GS500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAiUwm4PucA

Go for it, as your DAS bike could top the ton in seconds and it was too slow for you.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't remember what you took your test on????

It must've been a good day!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
You can't remember what you took your test on????

It must've been a good day!

Like I said I'm a noob. I know nothing about bikes now and I knew even less then. That's why I'm here asking for advice. Cast yourself back. You must be able to remember a time when all those letters and number meant nothing to you?

I'm not criticising your noobishness. I can remember what I took various tests on/in, that's all. If you told me what you passed yours on, I'd probably have to look it up!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure tbh. Everyone's different.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Passed my car licence in a green Austin Metro.

Passed my HGV 2 licence in a blue DAF something or other

Passed my HGV 1 in the same DAF but with a drawbar trailer (the trailer was also blue!!!)

Passed my PSV in a white Volvo something or other

Passed my motorcycle on a red thing with two wheels!

Passed my category G in a big yellow steam roller (technically that had three wheels and a max speed of about 5mph) from circa 1920!

I'd like to do some sort of HGV test, or whatever it's called now. You've done more than I have.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might get a pre VTEC VFR800 or vfr750 in your budget. Good all rounders, with bar risers can be fairly upright. Not particularly rabid so might not float your boat but good for learning smooth riding habits. IMO whilst a litre bike might be fun and perfectly fine in the hands of some newbies you're likely to learn more skills (particularly cornering) on a smaller bike where you don't have the same power of to compensate by blatting up the straights. Straight line acceleration becomes boring after a while and in the twisties a smaller bike you have to work a little can be more fun. Bear in mind that even an er6 will eat a lot of performance cars <100mph.

The CC figure isn't the whole story either. A litre varadero isn't equal to tuono which isn't equal to a fireblade. All very different characteristics so it depends what you want. Likewise smaller bikes. Do you want a revvy engine where you need to keep it on the boil to access the power or do you want lots of low end torque? Personally I prefer torque to revvieness on the road.

You probably won't get much from BMW, Triumph or KTM in your budget anyway tbh but if your choices are down to reliability then triumph are as good as the rest and (most) KTM are fairly reliable now too (although require more regular fettling to keep them happy). BMW have their share of reliability issues, and when they break out of warranty can be expensive to fix).

Other things to look at - TDM850/900, bandit 1200, cbf1000, fzs600, lots of others. Really at your budget you're best just looking to see what is available reasonably locally for your budget and pick the one that is the best condition and that appeals to you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:49 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest a VFR750 or a 900 hornet.

If you feel you can trust your right hand, a ZZR1100 would come in that price range. Although they are getting old now.

EDIT: Actually. Given your sig. Do not buy a ZZR1100. They are too more-ish.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 650 Suzuki could be an SV650. If so, they're properly capable bikes (new ones about 75bhp) - I did my training/test on one and they're more than powerful enough for the road (in my opinion, but I am not a speed demon!).

I think the comment about the GS500 is a good one, i.e. it's probably better to get something not lunatic fast and rather than get "bored of the power", instead push yourself on riding skill than straight line speed. Doing it the other way around I would think risks ending up in a mess as you'll be pushing ever greater speeds but not necessarily building the riding skills to go with it.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode an er6 for 3 years and didn't get bored. It had limitations which annoyed me (poor handling with pillion, suspension not up to higher speeds on rough roads, etc.) But power wasn't one of them most of the time. It depends how and where you ride. For the often tight and twisty roads I like, a lighter lower powered bike can be more fun.

VFR should be ok ergos wise, it's not as lean over as a supersport, and bar risers are cheap. Typically 600cc in line 4s are quite revvy. They are great when getting on it, but I prefer a 650cc twin for the flexibility it offers around town and on tighter roads. They feel more pokey to me I'm general use than the 600s, which are noticeably quicker if you rev them out. Others will disagree, it's just preference.

Adventure bikes like the vstrom are fine in the twisties, easier even in the tight stuff than many bikes with clip on bars, as the big wide bars offer lots of leverage. If considering the big Strom, consider the 650 too. Considered to be the better bike by many, especially when considering previous generations. The big varadero might suit if you have length to your legs.

The only issue with the big adv bikes is height and weight. No problem if you are tall but some can be a bit top heavy which makes slow control a little harder and can make it easier to drop. This includes the tiger 955 which I'm assuming is the one you were looking at. Not really a problem for me personally, just an adjustment. I'm not that tall but have grown comfortable riding tall bikes just through experience.

The most important thing to decide is what style of bike appeals to you most? What do intend to do with it? Commuting, touring, short hooligan blasts? A bit of everything? That'll narrow it down a bit. I don't think power should be the primary concern and you can always sell it and buy something else at a later date anyway. It's likely what you want from a bike might change in a year's time. Fun can be had in any bike with the right attitude, and improving your cornering is part of that. Any fool can go wide open in a straight line. Some folk need the shove of a litre bike, others have gone back to smaller bikes and found more fun but I think any new rider (and that includes someone in the first few years) probably would struggle to honestly say they've outgrown a middleweight in terms of power and performance (comfort, space, suspension, etc. notwithstanding)

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I'd say is that "You'll be bored of it quickly" is subjective. You could get something like a CB500 and die of boredom in a month, or it might keep you satisfied for a couple of years. Everyone is different, and since you're a tinkerer you might find that a basic bike with some decent suspension, brakes and tyres added will keep you grinning for quite a while. You'll then have a better idea of what YOU like in a bike by then, and shop accordingly for the next toy.

Or buy the ZZR1100 Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:03 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer 1000.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the VFR750. Cheaper than the 800, readily available, cheap, plenty of spares about, and lots of people have/had one, so plenty of advice if soemthing does come unstuck. You can still have fun with one. They are heavy, but you only really notice it at low speeds. 94-97 is where you want to be looking. Ignore mileage (Mines on 113K), loot at how well it's looked after. Make sure the exhaust is solid.

I'll second avoiding a ZZR1100 - They might be old, but they can still jkeep up surprisingly werll with modern kit. Slouch, it 'aint. Might be a but much for a first "proper" bike though, if you're a bit heavy on the right wrist. I keep having to stop myself buying a D model that's local to me. I'd lose my license, again, pretty sharpish on one, they're a fucking hoot.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much sooner have an absolutely sorted ER6 or even ER5 with decent suspension equipment and a set up to suit me, sharpened up fresh brakes, decent tyres and maybe a noisy pipe and re-map, than a very baggy, saggy and worn ZZR1100 that's just horrible to ride and wobbles and weaves everywhere.

Of course if you make an old ZZR like the above with an extremely well sorted chassis and brakes, and a fit healthy engine then I'd take the ZZR. But how much is it going to cost to get a loose baggy ZZR 1100 into that condition?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so happens I'm thinking of punting my zx9r for around £1500 Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
. But how much is it going to cost to get a loose baggy ZZR 1100 into that condition?

New rear shock (it's a given it'll need doing on a ZZR1100), change the fork oil, and I reckon it'll stick with most things, the rider rather than bike being the limit. If the OP's a tinkerer, then that's fairly easy to do. Insurance may have other idea's though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Second Bike Suggestions Please Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
I can't remember exactly what it was but it was definitely either a 600 or a 650 and I'm about 80% sure it was a Suzuki. So I'm thinking something at least 700 but probably more like 800-1000, or would this be a bad idea? I don't want to jump into the deep end unprepared but I'm hopeful I have the skill and ability to jump straight on a big bike but also the cautiousness and self not control to go straight out and kill myself. Some people I'm speaking to are trying to persuade me not to get anything too big like a 1000 but to get something like a 600-800 instead and move up to something bigger after a while. Is this just a load of bullshit or is there some credibility to this notion?

CC's are largely irrelevant. A CBR600F (the old one) and a CBF1000 produce virtually the same power. The problem is 1000's typically do weigh a lot more, and that's more likely to catch you out than the power. 100bhp isn't that different to 50bhp IMO, as in if you can handle 50bhp you can handle 100. However an extra 50kg is different. No doubt someone will disagree with that, but if a CBF1000 is no different to an MT-09 to ride in terms of weight, then with that logic a Street Triple is no different to a 125.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:05 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a TDM 900? There’s a few on Autotrader just over £2000.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6