Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When were the 'good old days'?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: When were the 'good old days'? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there was a time when things were genuinely better in society, or if people tend to see things with rose tinted glasses and just pick a time when life was better for them personally.

For me, my 'good old days' were the mid-90s to 2010-ish, after which everything seemed to go a bit downhill.

I suspect I only feel this way because that was my youth and teenage years, so real life hadn't caught up with me yet.

There's also a good correlation between the time at which I started to take note of current affairs, and the time at which I gained a constant sense of 'things getting worse'. Funny that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: When were the 'good old days'? Reply with quote

Oh yeah watching the news is a bad idea if you want to be happy Smile I'm gonna go full Eeyore here and say things have always been shit, if I had to pick a time I'd say the early to mid 2000s, where everyone seemed to have it a bit better, but then that was also the period where me and my mates were getting robbed, having knives pulled on us, getting beaten up almost daily so it's hard to reminisce.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: When were the 'good old days'? Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I suspect I only feel this way because that was my youth and teenage years, so real life hadn't caught up with me yet.

^ This. For everybody.

I thought the eighties were great. But if you actually think about it, they were just as shit as any other era.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: When were the 'good old days'? Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
I thought the eighties were great. But if you actually think about it, they were just as shit as any other era.

I think if you were better off it was a good time, being poor under Thatcher which wasn't much fun at all.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Good Old Days" ran between 1953 and 1983.

HTH.

Clue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZlkScbpwbg

Some rather rude remarks by the audience early on....

Last edited by Riejufixing on 18:41 - 12 Feb 2019; edited 3 times in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of times in the past were ‘the good old days’
For example the 70’s were when I discovered bikes Smile
The 80’s , I did a lot of fishing and had a gala Thumbs Up
However these times when I discovered bikes and fishing and actually did these pastimes are just small islands in a sea of shit that is my crappy little life Eh?

I’ve never been rich enough to enjoy a luxury lifestyle, hey ho!

Can’t think the present will ever be considered ‘the good old days ‘ in the future?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1939-1945.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what period I set my rose tinted specs to.
I've managed to intersperse the bad times and just plain boring times with periods of enjoyment throughout my life, often by just saving up a bit, then quitting my job to go off and do something.

I could say I'm going through bad times now - skint and a little worried - but even this time I'm using to try to get fit, so it's not a dead loss.

For me, the good ol' days were the mid to late eighties, when I was in a good job and riding lots of different bikes, all of which seemed to have a character of their own.

Thinking

But then, 2016 and 2017 were my best years for bike touring and exploration, so I could say those were the good, not-so-old days.

Thinking

I did a lot of long-distance walking from about '98 to 2012, so those, too, were good ol' days for me.

More generally, my interests and outlook haven't changed that much over the years, so I can't really pinpoint a time I'd really say were the good ol' days within my lifetime. I've always kept life simple, and I think that is a key - too much "I want" is likely to leave you feeling miserable when you don't get. When opportunities come, take them, but be flexible in your desires, so you can adjust for changes in circumstances.

TL;DR; the good ol' days come and go. It's just the trick of realising when you're in them, and making the most of it.

I don't think society in this country has really had genuine good ol' days for everyone. When many are doing well, there are always those who don't have it so good.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's human nature to think everything was better in the past. The brain has a way of remembering good things more than bad.

If you listen to the baby boomers the 'Good old days' were back before we were in the EEC Very Happy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
The brain has a way of remembering good things more than bad.

I wish my brain worked like that Crying or Very sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
bhinso wrote:
The brain has a way of remembering good things more than bad.

I wish my brain worked like that Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I'm not sure that's right. But what you try to do is not dwell on the bad stuff.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is the best time to be in.
I have a lot of happy (and bad) memories of all my past, what with this and that.

But I got through them, to here and now.
So they can't have been that bad.

"Now" looks fine from here: I'm eating sausage and mash with crunchy onions on top and contemplating the future through rose tinted glasses.

Mustn't grumble.

Last edited by hellkat on 15:58 - 12 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it easier to be nostalgic.

I always thought the brain had some sort of mechanism when any severely unpleasant effect was filtered out.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, but sometimes a little assistance "for medicinal purposes only" saves the mechanism from seizing up.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:10 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of my life? Now, without a doubt. In terms of current affairs? Probably that short window between the Berlin wall falling and September 11th 2001. About 12 years of awesome.

It's funny how popular culture went really dark and conspiracy oriented in that time... Now look at us!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:21 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I just find it easier to be nostalgic.

I always thought the brain had some sort of mechanism when any severely unpleasant effect was filtered out.

I wish it did Laughing

hellkat wrote:
It does, but sometimes a little assistance "for medicinal purposes only" saves the mechanism from seizing up.

Sadly if I did that in my job, I'd be fired instantly.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Probably that short window between the Berlin wall falling and September 11th 2001. About 12 years of awesome.

i'd go further and say 3 years of awesome between 1998 and 2001 (when the IRA stopped bombing the shit out of us).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

i'd go further and say 3 years of awesome between 1998 and 2001 (when the IRA stopped bombing the shit out of us).

Were you actually personally affected by this? My brother did a couple of stints of patrolling in NI and he didn't make a big thing of it. I did two detachments there myself, and the base got mortared while I was there...apparently, but I didn't see it as any more than another part of work. I remember when they put all the barriers and check points up in London, but I never needed to drive into the city. I didn't know anyone who was killed or lost relatives to IRA activity. So it's all about personal experience and perspective.

Same with the Cold War. My job meant it was all around me all the time, but it didn't really affect my outlook on life. I was in Germany when the wall came down. Didn't even watch it much on the news.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
bhinso wrote:

Were you actually personally affected by this? My brother did a couple of stints of patrolling in NI and he didn't make a big thing of it. I did two detachments there myself, and the base got mortared while I was there...apparently, but I didn't see it as any more than another part of work. I remember when they put all the barriers and check points up in London, but I never needed to drive into the city. I didn't know anyone who was killed or lost relatives to IRA activity. So it's all about personal experience and perspective.

Same with the Cold War. My job meant it was all around me all the time, but it didn't really affect my outlook on life. I was in Germany when the wall came down. Didn't even watch it much on the news.

iirc the IRA were bombing the mainland as late as 2001 (the one in Ealing). Checkpoints still exist around Canary Wharf, obviously they had the bombing there. Particularly in a van you get pulled aside, searched and they take a swab for explosives.

I like being swabbed Wub

Last edited by M.C on 16:48 - 12 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before everyone got mobile phones.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Were you actually personally affected by this?

Not personally know, I was a child and I just have memories of it being on the news all the time and not understanding it. e.g. "In a telephone call the IRA claimed responsibility for the bombing".
And I'd ask my parents "Why don't they arrest the IRA?"

Innocence of youth Embarassed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Before mobile phones your mum parents decided if you were getting any sex Smile Smartphones have made all the boring waiting around moments slightly less tedious, but I don't like messaging apps. When a text cost you 12p you chose your words carefully, now people bombard you with shit all the time Rolling Eyes

Things were definitely better before social media.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Before mobile phones your mum parents decided if you were getting any sex Smile Smartphones have made all the boring waiting around moments slightly less tedious, but I don't like messaging apps. When a text cost you 12p you chose your words carefully, now people bombard you with shit all the time Rolling Eyes

Things were definitely better before social media.

I think I preferred life before everything got so tech. This is definitely not the right time for me Sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like tech I just don't like how mouthbreathers are using it. I genuinely loved how when I first got the internet you could research and dispel all the hearsay and bullshit you get in everyday life, social media's the digitization and dissemination of that BS. Worryingly the media seem to be mirroring this.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now is to be believed everything is better than it's ever been and getting better Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3