Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

commuter saga continues - triumph tiger 800 XR / VFR 800

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:49 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: commuter saga continues - triumph tiger 800 XR / VFR 800 Reply with quote

the saga continues, this weekend I will be test riding versys 1000 and tiger 800 XR for my commuter/do it all bike to change over from the CBR6.

any tiger 800 owners, pros/cons? i saw one parked up today and looked rather nice and a good size for me (6ft2, 20st), and wouldn't look bag with a box on the back

Last edited by bigdom86 on 14:52 - 18 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:48 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4544697

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a long test ride on the 800 and the 1200. The main reason I went for the 1200 rather than the 800 was because shaft drive.

I really liked the 800 in every other respect.

I'm not sure if the 800 has the same luggage from Triumph as the 1200, but if it does, while looking ok it's not sturdy enough in my eyes for anything off road. It won't stand too many offs. It's fine for road use and quick release for taking indoors as well.

My view then, nice bike, nice engine, holds it's value well. Off road? No idea really, the furthest off road I ever did on my 1200 was the BCF BBQ. Embarassed

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 plate 800 xcx now. Rode new 18 xrt... tft screen is proper gadget boy toy. Liked handling, price kills a change. Engine just the same... awesome fun without the weight of a 1200.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Test rode the tiger 800 xrx today, lovely bike very very comfy, bit down on power as used to the cbr600 but very nice all the same. With an aftermarket exhaust im sure will sound sweet, will take me a while to get used to the handlebar position etc.

I also eyed up a 15 plate vfr800 and had a short test ride. Was a bit worried would be cramped like the cbr but felt quite comfortable, beautiful bike and beautiful engine. I am very close to swapping the cbr for the vfr rather than the tiger as seems a good compromise between looks and comfort being somewhere between a sports and upright. Going to take it for a longer run next week in mostly London traffic to see how i get on as that is 90% of my riding. Unsure if is a bit too much bike for an hour commute from beckenham kent into central London

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:24 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Unsure if is a bit too much bike for an hour commute from beckenham kent into central London

To be fair. Having looked at a map of where you're talking about, that's like 10-15 miles or so? Presumably all done at walking pace. Wouldn't a Honda innova or similar be better and keep your CBR for the weekends?

I'd worry about cooking/killing a liquid cooled adventure touring bike doing that kind of stuff every day. I think I'd fast learn to appreciate an automatic clutch too.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR isn't the happiest beast for traffic crawling, they run hot as hell and sitting on one in summer in gridlock is just torture. That said, the newer VFRs have front mount radiators instead of the side mounted leg boilers that I deal with.

Also, the VFR is NOT fuel efficient for slow stop/start commuting. Nope.

Surprisingly manoeuvrable for a small moon though once you get learn how to make a fat lass dance.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

yeah around 15 miles there, mostly 20-30mph will a few stretches I get 40mph, on way back around 20-25miles as I go out to orpington for the gym and then back to beckenham after. so daily around 40 miles of mixed 20-30-40mph riding and some stop/start traffic and lots of filtering etc. i know the sensible option is to get a scooter but i hate them with a passion and much prefer a "real" motorbike. the VFR was very comfy and I like the look of it but with this riding I am a bit worried too that I am going to kill the engine rather quick, however my CBR600 seems pretty happy on this commute although my body isn't very happy with it! perhaps I would be better off with the tiger800 eventhough I am not a huge fan of the looks and riding position, or perhaps I am better off with the new hornet instead? I wish there was a comfy mid-range sports bike or sports tourer Rolling Eyes

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, you won't 'kill' the VFR. You can pretty much thrash the V4 within an inch of its life and never maintain it and it'll still soldier on past 100k miles without a hiccup. It's what they're most famous for.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, where roughly do you work?

I was born and raised in Beckenham. Used to ride from Copers Cope Road to Fenchurch Street daily. The daily battle through new cross was only really eased by being allowed to use bus lanes.

I used to ride a first gen Versys 650. Was perfectly fine for this type of ride. Though in the hotter months it would get pretty toasty.

In all honesty, I'd not be looking at a 1000cc bike for mostly commuting work. I looked into it, and for the few trips a year I;d take the bike and benefit from the extra power, I decided it really wasn't worth it. You could be looking at an extra 20+Kg to lug around between buses, Prius' and hackney cabs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:28 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I really got on well with the seating position on the VFR and would be a good compromise between the CBR and an upright, I was just worried I would overheat and damage the bike as the VTech kicks in at 7k? I barely get above 6k on the CBR as within a second I am already at 30mph so thought this wouldnt be great on the VFR. handling wise I felt fine. I don't know what other alternatives there would be in a decent looking sport tourer or I should just bite the bullet and go fully upright and get the tiger800 (although I preferred the VFR).

I ride from Copers Cope Road Mr. Green , a few days I go to Chelwest hospital and a few days paddington hospital, so my commute is south circular, and then through kensington and hyde park.

I did look at the versys 650 and 1k but I'm not a huge fan of the half sports bike half upright look with the long forks etc, like the tracer 900 looks quite nice but the front end I am not too sure about.

I had thought about putting risers on the CBR and try drop the rearsets down a couple inches but with the ULEZ looming I need to get rid anyway.

if the CBR6 can handle things ok would the VFR8 be much different? how bad exactly is the MPG in the city?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a 700 Deauville. Cheap to buy, cheap to run and will do virtually anything you want.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you liked the VFR you should really try the crossrunner. They are very similar but the crossrunner is easier to manage in town and at slow speeds. Engines are more or less identical.

I agree about crap fuel economy. Mine does about 45mpg in a mixed commute and it does run hot, although the fan is fairly effective. Build quality is solid.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
If you liked the VFR you should really try the crossrunner. They are very similar but the crossrunner is easier to manage in town and at slow speeds. Engines are more or less identical.

I agree about crap fuel economy. Mine does about 45mpg in a mixed commute and it does run hot, although the fan is fairly effective. Build quality is solid.

I looked at the crossrunner but couldn't get on with the looks, in terms of weight the vfr felt OK to me (im 20st 6ft2 myself) so quite easy to move. I would be happy with 45mpg! I think on the CBR6 I get around mid 30s

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

I looked at the crossrunner but couldn't get on with the looks, in terms of weight the vfr felt OK to me (im 20st 6ft2 myself) so quite easy to move. I would be happy with 45mpg! I think on the CBR6 I get around mid 30s

I get that. I was never keen on the looks either. It having ridden my mates I knew it would suit me well. I've never found the weight an issue, don't really feel their weight.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1