Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie saying hello and thank you!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Newbie saying hello and thank you! Reply with quote

Hi first off all I’ve been using this forum for last 3months and found some great advice and informatin.

About me: I’m new to biking owning my Honda cbr600rr7 for all of 2 weeks now. And what a bike! Yes I know I haven’t got a lot of experience to judge by, but as a first time user of this bike it ticks a lot of boxes. But would love opinions on different bikes.

So here’s my questions that I need help with:

1. Maintenance tips I.e things to keep a eye one, general maintenance, website or breakers for parts that sort of stuff.

2. Riding tips, and places to have fun in and around the Kent, London & Essex areas.

3. If you got a (Honda cbr600rr7 2008) and done any aftermarket work let me know as I’ve got a couple things I’d like to do and looking for ideas.

Thanks Mike.

Safe Riding

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: bike Reply with quote

The honda cbr600 is your first bike???????

Get it into your head that every car driver ( and some fellow bikers and also truck drivers ) are gunna try and kill you!!!!!!!!

Modern thinking is that car drivers think of bikers as a threat so ignore them, they do not SEE us!!!!!

Research Bikesafe or similar course near you. Perfect advice for a perfect world, but they will not teach you how to handle the moron that is up your arse or how cuts you up.

Always ride in the part of the road away from all the grit, bits of tyre and exhaust, the oil slick in the middle of the lane, and not too close to the middle white line that oncomers always seem to cross, even the solid white line. Remember most car drivers are morons.

White lines can throw you off.

Bike maintenance, little and often, chain lube and tension, weekly checks of oil, water, lights, TYRE PRESSURES and all the other little jobns a bike needs.

Get a manual, look and study exploded views like cmsnl, dont put off maintenance like brake fluid and fork oil, and do find out how to check and adjust valve working clearances.

As to tarting up the bike with bling and gadgets, spend that money on further training/bike riding survival/how to actually ride the bike first. :karma:

Any body can actually ride a bike, but you need to be able to actually RIDE the bike in a safe and courtiouse manner, recognising the things the moron car drivers will do before they actually do it. You need to develope the SIXTH SENSE needed for survival.

You can have much more fun between 1 mph and sixty, than you can ever have at over 70mph.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:10 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 600RR. Basically the same as your bike, but mine is a trackbike.

If I were you, I'd put it away in the garage right now, and go and buy an ER6 or something to use for a year until you get used to it.

I test rode this very model of bike back in 2007. I had been riding for nine years at that point and it blew my mind. I accidentally wheelied it, and accidentally stoppied it on the same ride. You certainly shouldn't be looking at mods until you've learned how to control the machine properly, which I don't think can really happen in a year of wobbling about on the road.

I'm not normally too bothered about people having 600s as their first bike, but to be honest this is pretty much the hardest of hardcore 600s (race replicas from late 200x). Yes, you probably can ride it without crashing or hurting yourself, but you won't be actually learning to ride a bike, and you won't get the best from it. Not by a long chalk.

If you REALLY want to mod it, a set of crash bungs would probably be my first and only port of call.

I know I sound like a tw*t but I really am shocked that a 115bhp lightweight race replica is now considered an acceptable new bike of choice. Especially one with no ABS, no traction control, no anti wheelie etc... It's akin to going out in 1993 and buying a brand new 'blade as a first bike. It didn't happen then, and shouldn't happen now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your concerns bikenut & marjay. I should of explained my experience a little better. I raced motocross for years in my youth, I’m also a lorry driver so my experience and knowledge on the roads is very high. It was my riding instructor who convinced me to get the bike based on my skill and level of fun you can have on it.

BUT TIME AND PLACE!

So far I’ve had a top speed of 80mph out of it, and since having the bike I’ve mainly concentrated on low speed maneuvers, bike control, braking. And as for wheelies when pulling away. Wtf?? Not even come close to doing a wheelie I like my licence to much. Plus that’s what track days are for Very Happy and as for ABS yes it’s great but to many new riders rely on it! I’d rather master knowing my brakes and limits before with fear of what can go wrong than trust in ABS working if that make sense. It’s a great system but I’m confident in my riding without it.

What I’m trying to say gents is I’m not a doughnut rider I’m well aware that every single person on the road wants to kill me. White lines are the devil.

Come on people I know a bike can kill you but so can yours wife’s cooking let’s keep this less serious and what bikes are for FUN!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:08 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikegJ wrote:
Thank you for your concerns bikenut & marjay. I should of explained my experience a little better. I raced motocross for years in my youth, I’m also a lorry driver so my experience and knowledge on the roads is very high. It was my riding instructor who convinced me to get the bike based on my skill and level of fun you can have on it.

BUT TIME AND PLACE!

So far I’ve had a top speed of 80mph out of it, and since having the bike I’ve mainly concentrated on low speed maneuvers, bike control, braking. And as for wheelies when pulling away. Wtf?? Not even come close to doing a wheelie I like my licence to much. Plus that’s what track days are for Very Happy and as for ABS yes it’s great but to many new riders rely on it! I’d rather master knowing my brakes and limits before with fear of what can go wrong than trust in ABS working if that make sense. It’s a great system but I’m confident in my riding without it.

No offense, but I'm afraid driving a lorry gives you next to no useful experience in riding a fast motorcycle. It just doesn't. Maybe some level of road awareness but you can get that on a bicycle...

Motocross may provide a bit more experience I guess, but the road is a different beast.

Also saying that you want to learn to use your brakes without ABS is a legitimate thing, but on a 150kg Supersport bike with 115bhp...? No. Honestly, I think you got the wrong bike as your first bike, and really the only thing worse I can think of is a 1000cc superbike from the same era...

A CBR600F would have been far better as a first bike, or a Hornet, or a Fazer or pretty much anything 600cc that is not a Supersport. Or at least the hardcore race replica supersport era, post practicality and pre rider aids...

But I'll shut up about it now, just take it easy. I suppose Yamaha are selling the MT-09 as a first bike, and that has 100+bhp and is a bit of a beast... BUt I guess it does have ABS, rider modes and I think some sort of traction control too? *shrugs*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
No. Honestly, I think you got the wrong bike as your first bike, and really the only thing worse I can think of is a 1000cc superbike from the same era...

He's alive (thus far Razz ) and is enjoying it. Leave the poor fella alone!

My first bike was an overweight (by today's standards) superbike (by the standards of then) with 112bhp. It too wheelied really easily, but the brakes were nowhere near the standard of more modern fare. So it was a handful in different ways. But I put about 12k miles on it in a year, and never stacked it (I saved that experience for later bikes Laughing ). You could never have persuaded me I made the wrong choice then, and I don't accept that I did now.

Ride safe Mike, and enjoy!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
No. Honestly, I think you got the wrong bike as your first bike, and really the only thing worse I can think of is a 1000cc superbike from the same era...

He's alive (thus far Razz ) and is enjoying it. Leave the poor fella alone!

My first bike was an overweight (by today's standards) superbike (by the standards of then) with 112bhp. It too wheelied really easily, but the brakes were nowhere near the standard of more modern fare. So it was a handful in different ways. But I put about 12k miles on it in a year, and never stacked it (I saved that experience for later bikes Laughing ). You could never have persuaded me I made the wrong choice then, and I don't accept that I did now.

Ride safe Mike, and enjoy!

Thanks chickenstrip ✌️

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chickenstrip"]
MarJay wrote:

Just because it would be the wrong bike for you doesn’t mean it is wrong for me. But thanks for your concern ❤️

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:02 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikegJ wrote:

Just because it would be the wrong bike for you doesn’t mean it is wrong for me. But thanks for your concern ❤️

No you're right. I can't handle a 600cc sportsbike. I've only been riding for 21 years... Rolling Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
MikegJ wrote:

No you're right. I can't handle a 600cc sportsbike. I've only been riding for 21 years... Rolling Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

You're just jealous cos it took you 21 years to be able to handle a sports bike Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:15 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
You're just jealous cos it took you 21 years to be able to handle a sports bike Razz

If it took me 21 years, imagine how long it will take the OP with his truck experience...

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

If it took me 21 years, imagine how long it will take the OP with his truck experience...

Well I’m aiming to be racing on Brands Hatch in July. But the bike don’t scare me like it did for you back in the day. FairPlay on your 20 years on riding 👍 but everyone’s different. I’ve had the bike 2 weeks and put almost 800miles on it practicing. The bike fits like a glove and it’s a dream to ride. And if I do come off I’m a donor so someone will benefit ❤️❤️❤️ 😂

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started we went on to 250cc smokers at 17 with no training, no tests etc.

OK, they weren't 100+ horsepower but they were bikes with miniscule power bands and horrendous handling. We didn't all die.

Enjoy it. Just take care Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:36 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 'big' bike was a GS500. I maxed it out on day one and found it lame. Bought a Daytona 600, did the same. Enjoy it man, I had a 2003 one and gave it some stick.

Wouldn't go racing it around, but if you feel you want to get better at a decent rate, track days might be worth it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

If it took me 21 years...

Thinking Maybe if you'd bought a sports bike earlier... Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:54 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What you mean, like I did in 1998, then again in 1999, then again in 2002, and then again in 2004 (twice)?

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What you mean, like I did in 1998, then again in 1999, then again in 2002, and then again in 2004 (twice)?

Why so many bikes marja? Couldn’t find one that you could keep upright without ABS, traction control, anti wheelie and a mum to tuck you in? And I love your little wiki page link 👏👏👏 well with 20 years of experience the only advice you can give me is don’t ride on white lines, dirt and drivers are out to kill you. Basically the first hour of a cbt advice. You recommend the Yamaha Mt-09 lmao my Nan would get bored on that bike after a day.. I ride within my limits and I ride with a smile on my face. I trust the bike 100% and I trust myself 100%. The rest is all a experience and trust me in my 800 miles of London and Kent riding I’ve already seen some of the joys of owning a bike but I’m also lucky that my hours of road knowledge always kicks in. Anyway a moped or super bike is only as fast as the person controlling it. Plus I’m happy to wait til I get on a track to really push my limits no kerbs, lamp posts or trees to slide into!!

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice: Enjoy the experience, even after all these years I’m getting a thrill out of the unique joy it brings.
If the bike feels right ....go fella.
My first bike was a Puch Maxi WITH PEDALS wooohooo.

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
My advice: Enjoy the experience, even after all these years I’m getting a thrill out of the unique joy it brings.
If the bike feels right ....go fella.
My first bike was a Puch Maxi WITH PEDALS wooohooo.

Don’t knock the puch maxi with pedals I’m remember finding one of them in my dads garage. Best summer ever riding that thing about that’s what made me get a motor cross bike. Happy memory’s

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Puch Maxi rocks. You'll find that some folk here still have one!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay has a point. As a noob, you're more likely to "have a moment" with the throttle. Panic, over-reaction, whatever. On an ER650 or similar you'll scare yourself. On a very light 600 race rep, you're probably going to get spat straight off of it. You may not intend to slap the throttle open, but that's why they're accidents, not deliberates.

Your skin, your bike, your call, but he has a valid point.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikegJ wrote:

Why so many bikes marja? Couldn’t find one that you could keep upright without ABS, traction control, anti wheelie and a mum to tuck you in? And I love your little wiki page link 👏👏👏 well with 20 years of experience the only advice you can give me is don’t ride on white lines, dirt and drivers are out to kill you. Basically the first hour of a cbt advice. You recommend the Yamaha Mt-09 lmao my Nan would get bored on that bike after a day.. I ride within my limits and I ride with a smile on my face. I trust the bike 100% and I trust myself 100%. The rest is all a experience and trust me in my 800 miles of London and Kent riding I’ve already seen some of the joys of owning a bike but I’m also lucky that my hours of road knowledge always kicks in. Anyway a moped or super bike is only as fast as the person controlling it. Plus I’m happy to wait til I get on a track to really push my limits no kerbs, lamp posts or trees to slide into!!

I have had something like 26 or 27 bikes in 21 years of riding. Much of that time I had multiple bikes at once. Mostly sportsbikes, but I've also had a couple of off roaders, a few naked bikes, one or two tourery things, tonnes of two strokes etc...

I've never owned a bike with rider aids, but I started on a 125, then a 400, then a 650, then a 900cc sportsbike with about the same power as the CBR but with about 50kg more weight. I think that was a decent education. People on here go on about how they had GSXR1100s at 19 and stuff like that, but that is still a 220kg bike with only just over 100bhp at the wheel. Wayward they may have been, but still not as fast as a modern 600. Almost all of these people will have started on a 125 and graduated up to big bikes over a period of years anyway.

I wasn't recommending an MT-09, I was saying they are too powerful for a n00b, actually. I also love how you have an opinion on an MT09 when you've never even ridden one. You might even find it more fun than the CBR. If you don't rev the CBR beyond about 10k, then the MT09 will most certainly be more fun. But clearly you're an expert (because you drive lorries).

Polarbear wrote:
When I started we went on to 250cc smokers at 17 with no training, no tests etc.

OK, they weren't 100+ horsepower but they were bikes with miniscule power bands and horrendous handling. We didn't all die.

Yes, but with the handling and power limits of those days you at least learned. If you start on a decent handling bike with loads of power, you won't really learn to ride because you'll be so far within the limits of the bike you might as well not bother. In my opinion anyway.

The CBR does have one thing in it's favour, and that being an electronic steering damper I guess.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I wasn't recommending an MT-09, I was saying they are too powerful for a n00b, actually.

What would you recommend? A Street Triple is no more difficult to ride than an ER5 in terms of power imo.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considered a litre sportsbike? (bit tongue-in-cheek)
They unlike the 600s can be ridden in a 'lazy' fashion ...in town or wherever.
Get one with good fuelling and it'll pull nicely from 30mph-tunnel vision in 5th.

They're fuck ugly but the S1000RR should be considered. Has wet modes ABS and comfier than any 600 supersports and most superbikes.

^^^Ahh scrap that. You've made your bed.

Pity, you're missing out on those incremental 'HOLY FUCK THIS IS FAAAAAaaaaasssssttttt' moments.<<<These memories are imprinted..nay branded onto your brain...like your first threesome...They're that important.

Go from 11 hp to 27 hp....Wow! I can overtake most cars.
27 hp to 87 hp...Oh Maaaannnn! In the ton club...shoulder check.
87 hp to 190 hp. FUCK YOU WORLD! NB. Why is this allowed?

1. Maintenance tips : Download service manual. Don't scrimp on tyres.
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBR600RR7-2007/ or ebay or sometimes a main dealer.

2. Riding tips: Join the SE Section. Plenty of excellent dickheads in there. Wub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:48 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What would you recommend? A Street Triple is no more difficult to ride than an ER5 in terms of power imo.

A Street Triple is a bit of a different animal, but what I would recommend for a noob is a CBR650, MT-07 something like that. When my GF passed her test (after spending a year on a 125) I recommended an ER6, which she loves. But we did go through the gamut of FZ6 diversion, Fazer, Hornet, SV650. She just liked the ER6 more.

My Street has been remapped by Tony Scott and only makes 107bhp. It's still pretty immediate and has a bulging midrange. I don't think I'd want one as a first bike, but I do think it's more appropriate than the 600RR.

Personally I went NS125R (full power) VFR400 NC21, SV650, Daytona 955i. I think that was a decent progression. The 650s are the obvious choice for DAS because the main manufacturers don't make 400cc four cylinder sportsbikes any more. The Ninja 400 et al is a bit weedy. I quite like the idea of a KTM RC390, and for a noob I think it would be perfect, but it doesn't win on the spec sheet in terms of power.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5