Newbie saying hello and thank you!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
And by 'small capacity' of course I mean less powerful and probably heavier too.

But that won't teach him how to best ride a more powerful, lighter bike. Sooner or later, the only way to learn that is to ride one. The OP doesn't strike me as a complete novice when it comes to bikes, nor stupid in his approach.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:55 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MX stuff probably does change things a lot I have to admit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:02 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But that won't teach him how to best ride a more powerful, lighter bike. Sooner or later, the only way to learn that is to ride one. The OP doesn't strike me as a complete novice when it comes to bikes, nor stupid in his approach.

It's also worth noting that you get to a certain level of experience, and then you're pretty much able to jump on anything and ride it to a reasonable degree. Obviously off road is different to road riding, but the point is valid.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikegJ wrote:
If you're travelling at 20-40 and need to do a quick overtake it takes a few seconds for the revs and speedo to climb adequately. It doesn't have the mid-range torque you need for quick overtaking.

Then you are not in the right gear for the overtake.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:01 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Then you are not in the right gear for the overtake.

Yup. Keep it over 10k. Hence why it's a bike that needs a bit of experience to get the best of it.

https://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/183904-1/2009_Supersport_Shootout_Dyno_Chart_CBR-08-09_2_.jpg

If you keep the bike below 8krpm, it's making the same power as a CBR400 from 1994. So if you're not revving it hard and keeping in that range, you're wasting its potential.

A Street Triple makes the same power at 7k:

https://ecuwest.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Triumph-Street-Triple-675-Stock-vs-Flash-Dyno-Graph-1024x538.png

If you look at the graphs for the SV and the ER6 (both 650 twins) then although they don't make as much power, their peak power is nominally the same from about 6000rpm until the redline at about 12000rpm. That's a much wider spread of power. The torque curve is much flatter too.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my Mod2 after about 14 hours on >125cc, test rode a CBR600 and Street Triple the next day. Bought the Striple.

Hard to imagine a more brilliant bike for a noob. Incredibly forgiving, can change line easily mid corner, can brake super late into a bend if having miss-read road. The power delivery is very predictable, no big steps.

Bought an SV 6 months later and realised how flattered I'd been by the Striple. The SV seemed heavier and less happy to change direction and the brakes were not great. It was a lot more of a handful.

IL4 600's have a step in power, which takes getting used to. But in terms of being ham fisted etc, with not much happening below 8k they are easy to bimble on, but require a bit of planning ahead.....not too dissimilar to skills learnt on 125s.

Enjoy the RR Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Bought the Striple.

Hard to imagine a more brilliant bike for a noob. Incredibly forgiving, can change line easily mid corner, can brake super late into a bend if having miss-read road. The power delivery is very predictable, no big steps.

Bought an SV 6 months later and realised how flattered I'd been by the Striple. The SV seemed heavier and less happy to change direction and the brakes were not great. It was a lot more of a handful.

As a new rider the most important thing is using the least amount of 'capacity' controlling the machine, that's the reason I rate the Street Triple as noob or casual rider friendly. Difficult bikes I feel like you need to spend a lot of time riding to get used to them.

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here’s update on my first Month of owning the CBR600 and what I’ve learned as I’ve just passed my first 2000 miles on it.

The bikes faultless it’s managed everything I’ve thrown at it, been a pleasure to ride.

Bikers are amazing, love the respect between you guys on the road. Side nod ❤️

I’ve got a couple of questions tho.

Commuters best way to survive the weather? I.e it’s cold in the morning and bloody hot in the evening. I’m getting home losing half a ton of sweat. I always ride in full protection. Any tips on decent jackets? I’ve got alpinstar hi vis and it’s shit to be honest, especially on motorways.

Second question, at the end of March I’m going to spend £500 on getting new tyres, brake pads and chain. Plus another service ready for summer. Any recommendations on parts?

Honda CBR600rr 2008.

Plus people’s thoughts on best engine oil?

Had my first moment today when I thought dam bike feels bit slow then I looked at my speedo and thought 😁😁😁😁

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:15 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikegJ wrote:

Second question, at the end of March I’m going to spend £500 on getting new tyres, brake pads and chain. Plus another service ready for summer. Any recommendations on parts?

Honda CBR600rr 2008.

Had my first moment today when I thought dam bike feels bit slow then I looked at my speedo and thought 😁😁😁😁

Either Pirellis or Michelins seem good at the moment. If it's your only transport and you're going to insist on riding through winter, Michelin Pilot Road 5's are supposed to be amazing.

Brake pads - EBC HH

Chain - something decent with steel sprockets. If the chain is in decent nick, and the sprocket teeth aren't worn or hooked I wouldn't bother.

Engine oil: Any decent make of semi synth. I think I have a can of motul in my garage ready to go in mine at the moment.

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I’ve had my first scary experience!

Dartford Bridge and high winds got punched about like Mike Tyson fighting the local crack head.

So my question is how do you deal with high winds?

I found trying to ride into the wind, mounouvre my body head with the wind helped also using vehicles as wind breaks but always get a bit nervous riding in someone’s blind spot. And I know I’ve got a light bike, is that effected by the wind?

Anyways after my wobble on the Bridge I’ve been back over the bridge 3 times in high winds and although I don’t enjoy the experience it seems to be getting easier and today heavy rain really tested my limit.

Any tips or story’s people?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikegJ wrote:

Commuters best way to survive the weather? I.e it’s cold in the morning and bloody hot in the evening.

Zippable fleece over top of jacket. Even a waterproof over the top of jacket largely cuts the wind out.
Then just remove for the ride home.

MikegJ wrote:

Any recommendations on parts?

DID-VX or JT-Z3 Chain + JT Sprockets.
SBS / EBC / Goldfren pads
Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4 or 5 tyres (Metzeler Roadtecs are good, as are Dunlop Roadsmarts).

MikegJ wrote:

Woohoo, oil thread Mr. Green

Can't go too far wrong with Motul 5100 10w40 at 5 litres for £32

MikegJ wrote:

So my question is how do you deal with high winds?

Relax upper body, don't grip bars, drip tank with knees. If things get bad, you can hang off and use body to counteract (but don't think I've done that since having a 100kg 55mph 125).
Your bike as enough ooomph to out power wind.

Watch out of gusting between gaps in hedges and passing lorrys, which blow you out at the rear and suck in at the front (accentuated at front by your trying to counter the blow out at the rear).

Watch out for branches in middle of road as cars push shite into centre of lane.
kevlevrone This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential sock warning.

MikegJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothing & Helmet advice?

Looking for a new Helmet for commuting, I’m considering the Shoei GT air as it seems like a market leader at the moment (but is that just good marketing?)

I’m looking for a quiete helmet with good wind protection, pin lock ready, Bluetooth ready and internal sun visor. Anyone got any recommendations on a helmet with these features? Or a helmet that is silent on motorway riding.

Also trying to navigate the mind field that is motorcycle Jackets. Leather, textile, gortex choices choices. I’m looking for a nice fitting leather jacket I think also something that is comfortable on motorway runs. Something that will last through the summer. I.e cool 😎 well ventilated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5