Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bleeding hydraulics or "I fucking hate this clutch"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Bleeding hydraulics or "I fucking hate this clutch" Reply with quote

This VFR750 has me at the end of my tether. I cannot get pressure to build on the hydraulic side.

Rebuilt master cylinder, (cleaned & new seals), Nothing.
Rebuild slave cylinder, (cleaned & new seals), Nothing.
New HEL line and Banjo's? Nothing.
New Lever/Master? Nothing.
New copper washers all round, multiple times? Nothing.

Now, I've bled many clutches and brakes, without issue, before. I've just done the rear brake after replacing the fucked OEM line with zero issues, while having a break from trying to bleed the godamn clutch. I have a reverse/suction bleeder, I've tried pushing it up with a syringe. I've tried cracking the Banjo at the Master, and still nothing. This bitch will just not bleed.

Any ideas? Tips? I've gone through 500ml of DOT4 trying to get this bastard thing sorted.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 19:51 - 22 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously know what you're doing but I do have some suggestions: It was definitely clean when you rebuilt it?
You definitely put seals on in the correct orientation?
I do know that even a trapped hair can give problems.

Kinda making me panic because I'm about to flush new fluid through my brakes..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
You obviously know what you're doing but I do have some suggestions: It was definitely clean when you rebuilt it?

Slave and master were rebuilt, but deffo clean. One master is brand new.

Sister Sledge wrote:

Kinda making me panic because I'm about to flush new fluid through my brakes..

As long as you don't run the Master dry, it'll be fine. Keep it topped up.

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting Fluid at the slave?, have you tried leaving top off the MC make sure level is right , pull lever and tie it back with a zip tie , leave over night and see what its like in the morning

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:05 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to push fluid through the bleed nipple once open slightly that also helps also whilst clutch lever is pulled in. Failing that, run a small hose from the bleed nipple into the resivior whilst pulling in the lever in and out

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluid a plenty at the slave.

Slave moves, but not much, certainly not enough to disengage properly. When taking the rear wheel off to get to the caliper and do the line change, I could get a tiny bit of movement in it with the clutch cable tied to the bars (on for about 8 hours this time, tried it several times after different things). That's why I think it's hydraulic. There is some pressure on the lever, but not much.

I've tried pushing the fluid up throughthe bleed nipple with a syringe. I've not tried running a line from the bleed nipple to the res, and if I'm honest about it, I don't see what it would accomplish. Can you explain?

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 93 vfr750 myself , but never had this trouble, just wondered did you buy a new set of levers (brake and clutch) and were they Chinese , only the shape of the pivot sometimes varies, just a thought

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Got a 93 vfr750 myself , but never had this trouble, just wondered did you buy a new set of levers (brake and clutch) and were they Chinese , only the shape of the pivot sometimes varies, just a thought

Entire lever/master assembly. Yes, Chinese, but more to double check I'm not going mad so I didn't want to spend a fortune. I have the lever, but I'd rather figure out what the issue is and refit the OEM ones.

This was bought after I rebuilt the OEM master and got fuck all. I didn't touch the front brake, it's working fine, I ran some fresh fluid into it a few months back. It works no better or worse than the rebuilt OEM. Rear brake was only rebuilt as I discovered a previous owner has let the OEM rubber hose rub the back wheel at some point, and I'm amazed it didn't puke everywhere, let alone actually work.

Master and Slave were rebuilt with Tourmax kits, and I had another slave off another bike. No difference. I also tried another OEM master off another bike, but that was obviously bad.

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh ,Im barking up the wrong tree there then, even being Chinese they would be built to match each other, so maybe have a look at the slave cylinder again, Do you have the Honda Common Manual, shows little more in depth there pages 11-27

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken the bleed nipple out and checked it on its own to see if there's a blockage there? I spent a full day cursing and swearing at a brake system to find out it was the nipple that was blocked.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Have you taken the bleed nipple out and checked it on its own to see if there's a blockage there? I spent a full day cursing and swearing at a brake system to find out it was the nipple that was blocked.

Several of them (parts bikes, spare cylinders, etc). Have I mentioned I hate this clutch?

Might just order a new nipple, just to make sure it's seating correctly, and not letting air leak in. It's about the only thing I havent replaced. That said, I can't see any bubbles in the fluid that's left after I blleed (open and close) it. I've cable tied it back to the bars for the night, but I'm not hopeful to be honest. I'll check tomorrow when I get home.

I now have the Common manual, cheers, I also have a service manual, and a Haynes.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:56 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was the nipple it would be leaking, you just still have air in the system

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:12 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
If you are able to push fluid through the bleed nipple once open slightly that also helps also whilst clutch lever is pulled in. Failing that, run a small hose from the bleed nipple into the resivior whilst pulling in the lever in and out

That pushes fluid up the tube and stops or reduces the amount of air being sucked in the nipple, and any air in the tube above the nipple is replaced by fluid.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might sound silly but the replacement master cylinder - is it capable of delivering enough fluid per actuation? I'm just wondering if the correct one was supplied.

If you have trapped air - why not try vibrating the line and parts as you bleed them? It's just an idea and not anything I've actually seen. It works with concrete or resins so why not a brake line??

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:01 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastening the lever back to the bars is a good way to check for master cyclinder leak down , but not a good way to bleed as the holes to the reservoir are blanked off , think about it if the holes to the reservoir were open , then the cylinder could not build up any pressure..........

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a clamp and clamp the slave cylinder piston all the way in, then go from there.

Always worked for me when bleeding the clutch and the clutch wasnt partying.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
get a clamp and clamp the slave cylinder piston all the way in, then go from there.

I'll clamp it up today and try again. Once I retrieve my G Clamps.

Sister Sledge wrote:
Might sound silly but the replacement master cylinder - is it capable of delivering enough fluid per actuation? I'm just wondering if the correct one was supplied.

It's a 12mm bore, pretty sure the OEM one is as well. If it was a bigger bore, I'd expect it to work, but with plenty of squish, it may pull back to the bars easily, less feel. Smaller, and it would be stupidly hard to pull the lever.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:49 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried strapping the clutch-lever back to the bar to hold the hydraulic pressure on the line; leave it over-night, then 'gently' bleed that bit of pressure off without any pumping?

Idea is that any trapped air in the line isn't allowed to 'dissolve' into the fluid, in ever smaller bubbles. The prolonged pressure gets the bubbles to migrate and join up, and float to the top. gentle relief of pressure then lets bubbles out, and not pumping stops putting any more in. If you get the sort of idea.

Found it works on a variety of hydraulics, usually brakes that don't seem to want to bleed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:53 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bleeding it at the top banjo. An air bubble can sit there and you'll get absolutely nowhere with it. Stick a rag under it and "slightly" crack it in the same way you would the bleed nipple as you pull the lever. If you get farty diarrhoea noises, you're bleeding air out. Continue until they go away and try again at the bottom.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Try bleeding it at the top banjo. An air bubble can sit there and you'll get absolutely nowhere with it. Stick a rag under it and "slightly" crack it in the same way you would the bleed nipple as you pull the lever. If you get farty diarrhoea noises, you're bleeding air out. Continue until they go away and try again at the bottom.

This, had to do it only yesterday. Sorted in less than 10 mins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried bleeding from the top banjo, before I started fucking aruond with reverse bleeding and syringes etc. I'll try it again.

Ripped it all down again today, rebuilt the master, slave and cleaned all the lines and banjos. Everything meticulously cleaned.

Pulled clutch, and rebuilt it again, according to the Haynes manual. I'm not missing anything, assuming item 6 on the diagram is the springclip that goes in a groove around the pushy bit that goes in the bearing that goes in the pressure plate. Pretty sure it is.

I now get some disengagement, and if I put pressure on the rear wheel, I get some movement. Vids follow. Rear caliper is not binding, wheel spins freely in neutral - It's just been rebuilt.

Wheel movement.
https://i.imgur.com/SLt7Wct.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/r1pcLTp.mp4

It's better than it was. There is some pressure at the lever now. It's nowhere near what it was, but it's a light at the end of the tunnel, rather than the scrapper.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Honda, but all the Suzuki clutches I have done, the first plate is different to the rest.

Is this the case on yours?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
I don't know about Honda, but all the Suzuki clutches I have done, the first plate is different to the rest.

Is this the case on yours?

Yeah, inner plate. It's got a bigger ID, goes over the anti-judder spring. It's in first. I cocked that up the first time to be fair, didn't even twig.

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matey , just along the same lines as fisty , although I'm sure you did, the spring seat and anti judder spring , sorry if you've already done this

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1100 is draggy as hell through the back wheel even when fully bled. Have you actually tried it with the engine running?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2