Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quicker Riders....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Quicker Riders.... Reply with quote

Today I was overtaking a few cars on A-roads and then I noticed some quicker riders behind.

Rather than overtake me they sat behind.
What should I do in this situation? I don't want to spoil their ride and was happy for them to overtake.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Quicker Riders.... Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
Today I was overtaking a few cars on A-roads and then I noticed some quicker riders behind.

Rather than overtake me they sat behind.
What should I do in this situation? I don't want to spoil their ride and was happy for them to overtake.

Give them room to pass when it's safe to do so. Otherwise, just ride normally. Don't start getting unpredictable, and they'll get past you soon enough if they want to.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Quicker Riders.... Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
What should I do in this situation?

Pull over and let them bum you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:13 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employ good observation before pulling out to pass in case someone is coming up in your blind spot and make your intentions clear to following traffic by your road positioning and using your indicators.

But you do that anyway yeah?

It can be quite tricky to pass another bike which is progressing through traffic more slowly than you. I've had some of the Ewan and Charlie brigade who were a downright pain in the arse on some Highland roads.

The issue isn't speed but indicisiveness, if someone has positioned themselves to overtake then doesn't move up when a clear overtaking oppertunity presents itself, I'll give them some time (I generally count down from 5 in my head) then move up myself. If they then start to go, I land up dropping back. If that happens three or four times on the trot, you start getting annoyed.

The above dosen't need to be the case. You can easily make it clear from your road positioning if you intend to move up or not. Don't sit in the "command" position ready to overtake if you're not going to, move across a little and others will move up past you.

From a personal point, I often find it easier to overtake another bike by following them out into an overtake then continuing my pass to take them and possibly the next vehicle after they have pulled in because I'm on the power and moving by that point. However if someone is making clear progress through traffic, I'm happy to just follow them.

If you feel pressurised (I try not to pressurise people), adopt a neutral road position, drop back a little so there is a gap in front of you to move into and wave them through.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably aren't holding them up. I was moving apace today although not really bombing it, and I saw a couple on a Triumph up ahead. I overtook a few cars and caught up with them. The rider indicated to the left, to let me pass. I hung back, because I was waiting for a suitable moment, I know the road well and I knew there were better spots to overtake further along the road. He probably thought he was holding me up - he wasn't. I was happy to just wait. Riding behind someone, getting ready to overtake, you're looking for that person's riding style and habits. You're gauging how far he rides behind the car in front, how predictable his lane position changes are, etc. You're not really being delayed, but the guy in front probably feels uncomfortable with you behind him.

As summer approaches, there will be the sportsbike riding clubs going for their routine fast blats around these parts. What I do when I see them in my mirror is, I deliberately hold the lane position as steadily as possible and slightly increase my distance from the car in front. This helps them overtake me faster.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:09 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling, was happening to me a bit yesterday, only passed the full licence at the end of last year and overtaking skill and finesse it not something you pick up on a 125cc.

I am learning to make progress faster but in the meantime have got rid of the stress I was feeling from faster riders behind me by (as others have suggested) adopting a neutral and non-passing position, increasing the space a little in front (so they have somewhere to go if they wish).

I also make a couple of more obvious mirror checks to indicate to them I probably know they are there.

Essentially after that if I am a causing them a problem, it is THEIR problem. After all I am easier to pass than a car.

I guess if you are on a capable bike and not even keep up with the cars you might be getting in the way somewhat, and if you are drifting around and looking random and indecisive you are more of a problem to pass.

I leave all my random, indecisive learning Rolling Eyes experiences to times where I don't have other riders near me.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice there - cheers guys.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Generally filter all my commute in London, however I let the crazies past me as end of the day it is only the quickest to the next red light.

i generally don't filter more than 15mph or so in stationary traffic or more than 10-15mph + than what the cars are doing in London

as above if you see someone behind you who wants to progress, look in your mirror so you acknowledge their presence then move to the left they will get the point and progress on.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move over when it is safe to do so.
Let the crazies go, if you don’t they will just get angry a more crazy in thier behaviour, possibly wiping you out in the process.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore them, you shouldn't be looking in your rear view mirrors much in the first place. Maintain your line and speed and feck them. They will pass in a safe location hopefully, else you all be deaded.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride your ride, they're not with you so they can pass when they like. Stop and have a break if they sit behind and annoy you. They may think you know the road and are using you as a marker.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:00 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons for riding a bike is to beat the traffic. As your skill increases with experience, pass the cars more and make better progress. The faster bikes behind you are probably doing this. Ride fast, ride safe. Cars don't have the choices bikes do!
Faster riders..... Dance!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
They may think you know the road and are using you as a marker.

Pretty much, also I don't like having bikes behind me as they're unpredictable/generally arseholes so I'll sit behind anyone going my kinda pace, if they're holding me up then I'll pass.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:
They may think you know the road and are using you as a marker.

Pretty much, also I don't like having bikes behind me as they're unpredictable/generally arseholes so I'll sit behind anyone going my kinda pace

Have a think about what you just said there Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that younger or new riders often see experienced riders on big bikes as mythical almost important gods of the road, and that these people they hold in awe or admire are all very capable/safe/highly skilled/important riders that they must let past as they are little nobody's wobbling along on learner bikes (the bottom of the food chain/insects of the biker community).

The above is a load of old bollocks though and it took me years to realise that not every hero on a Fireblade etc was a master of the road and their craft. I'd say especially in summer when the part time riders come out that half of all your Fireblade (S1000RR in today's stereotype) are utter wankers and are in fact crap inconsiderate or poorly skilled idiots.

In fact seeing as the percentage of bike riders is tiny compared to the numbers of car drivers, I'd say the percentage of utter twats on bikes is far higher than for car drivers.

OP, personally I wouldn't give a shit who is behind me or if I'm holding them up. As others said be decisive and considerate to other traffic and always check and double check it's clear behind you and at the side of you before making any manoeuvres. But I certainly wouldn't be slowing down or moving left of the centre of your lane to make it easier for bigger better faster bikers and bikes to pass you. I wouldn't give them any more consideration than a following car until or unless you want to make a manoeuvre yourself that is.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Ignore them, you shouldn't be looking in your rear view mirrors much in the first place.

Laughing I would say don't worry about them unduly, don't feel the need to speed up or put yourself in an awkward position just so they can pass, but let me go when it's reasonable to do so.
Keeping a general awareness of what's going on around you is definitely a good idea though.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Quicker Riders.... Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
I noticed some quicker riders behind. What should I do in this situation?

Three more options:

Arrow accept the challenge,
Arrow pull over and pretend you've reached your destination,
Arrow start fumbling with the fuel tap as they come past.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:
Pretty much, also I don't like having bikes behind me as they're unpredictable/generally arseholes so I'll sit behind anyone going my kinda pace

Have a think about what you just said there Laughing

What did I? I don't dive bomb other bikes or filter and stop right in-front of them so I'm the perfect person to have up your arse Wink

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm the perfect person to have up your arse Wink

Shocked Laughing

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wave them through. I don't like anyone up my chuff as it's something else to take my attention off what's going on up ahead. I pull over the to the left and wave them past if I think they're going to be there for long. There aren't many people who won't overtake in that situation. Then you can chase them! Mr. Green

There's also the lesser known sign of kicking your leg out a bit, which is kind of a general acknowledgement, although it appears a lot of bikers haven't got a fookin clue what that means, so it might be an utter waste of your time. Mr. Green

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually give them space to pass when it's safe to do so, especially if they have blue flashy lights, in which case I then make excellent progress in their wake. Very Happy

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 25 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaguely related; I had an "interesting" scenario yesterday up in the Peak District. I was riding my Street Twin, which has been pretty much hibernating over winter, so was getting used to it again and riding an A-road (A53 between Buxton and Leek) that while fairly quick, contains a number of blind/restricted viz (although not especially tight) bends/dips/crests. Now I don't know this road particularly well and operate on the principle of keeping enough forward viz to be able to stop. The road was going downhill gently and I was being tailgated by a 44 ton artic quarry wagon! He obviously knew all the bends and possibly could see over hedges/dips to see beyond if the road was clear, but I didn't have that forward visibility . . . it's not a pleasant feeling having a big wagon bearing down on you!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with bin lorries those guys are mental and drive like arseholes.

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advise is to continue your ride buy try to be conscious of their where abouts. Some bikers like to make friends and pull along side you or sit in your blind spot.
I would never pull in and put myself into an uncomfortable position they have been able to overtake many larger vehicles and cars to end up behind you i'm sure they can pass another bike with ease.
They may not even wish to pass you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1