Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Descending steep hills (with bends!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Descending steep hills (with bends!) Reply with quote

Morning all,

So I have done my background reading on this but it still feels a little counter-intuitive . . . how does everyone tackle descending steep (e.g. 10%+) roads where there are tight turns on it?

General advice seems to be to slow down as much as possible before the corner then apply positive throttle through the bend to keep the bike settled, but on really steep roads this seems crazy as to get positive throttle (and I realise it only needs to be a tiny bit) initiates very fast acceleration due to the gradient at a time that really I want to be maintaining a really slow speed. This is even more of an issue where a series of tight/hairpins are linked up with little space between them. I have tended towards using a low gear and engine braking to generally control descent speed, with a dab of front brake as needed (but obviously not on the bends themselves).

This situation is often exacerbated by the fact that mountain area roads tend to have worn/scabby surfaces which don't exactly inspire trust!

Cheers Smile

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually is engine baring in a low gear, alternate clutch to let the bike speed up, i.e. Pull in clutch bike speeds up, let out clutch bike slows down with rear brake and slight front brake. It feels right for me and my riding style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I usually is engine baring

same

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Skudd wrote:

same

A new concept to me. Engine braking is useful though. Low gear.
More back brake, and only a little front - I find on the Fazer the rear brake will overheat a bit if I use it exclusively on steep downhills on a day riding the mountain passes.

Sit back in the seat a bit too, almost leaning back. As usual, relax, don't tense up.

On those mountain roads, you need to be going slow enough to pick your line carefully between the crap washed out onto the road, and be ready for anywhere it gets particularly bad, so you don't want speed.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:21 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive throttle, steady with the rear brake. There is probably some argument that positive throttle makes naff all difference at 10mph though...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. The engine braking effect is really pronounced on my ER5 (in 2nd gear it comfortably held me at 20mph when I needed it to going down the Winnats Pass yesterday) so that's pretty similar to using the rear brake I guess, but without the overheating risk!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the gradient, engine braking alone isn't always enough with my bike (IL4), so it's necessary to use a combination of the two.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brake, engine braking, would avoid front brake if possible.
Off camber? Well that's never going to inspire confidence.

A lot will depend on the bike.

Slowly, relax, eyes on the inside of the bend, repeat. The more you do it the easier it gets they say.
Too slow and you'll be wobbling though.

Sometimes it helps to follow an experienced rider on a similar bike, you get a feeling of what's possible.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost run. All line up in a row at the top. Engines off. You are allowed three pushes with your feet then it's feet up and last one to the bottom is a sheep shagger. Kudos for first down and furthest travelled before rolling to a halt.

Do that on the Rattagan pass with half a dozen other bikes a few times and you'll learn how to descend like a madman. The look on car drivers faces as they get overtaken by multiple, totally silent sportsbikes with the riders tucked in behind the fairing is worth the effort.

More seriously, learn to use both brakes while cornering. It is not the instadeath move most people think it is. Generally people who do are taking too much weight through the bars and not enough through their legs which makes them sit the bike up when they brake.

I thought it was what bikes did for a long time myself until I got one with really long travel, very well damped suspension. It taught me that you CAN brake while leaned over without the bike sitting up providing you don't feed in adverse steering input. In fact, the braking will cause fork dive, sharpening the rake angle and causing the bike to turn in even more. Remember, legs and arse are for taking your weight, handlebars are for steering.

Obviously, don't practice this for the first time on a 10% gradient and do be aware that the more combined braking and cornering force you put through the tyre, the more likely it is to lose traction.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAKE SURE YOUR BUTT PLUG IS INSTALLED AND JUST RIDE IT OUT WITH A SMILE Smile

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Skudd wrote:

same

Ditto

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1