Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is auto stop start a good thing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Is auto stop start a good thing? Reply with quote

I hate it but its the default setting on the car.

How many kittens will it save?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how often you stop.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pain in the arse. Can you imagine ten years down the line in the second hand market when the battery is on its way out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:18 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just more wear and tear on the starting system

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

Witch is what I think

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Tankie wrote:

Witch is what I think

I'll just leave this here

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/myth-busting-stop-start-damage-engine/

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next car I want has it. So I'll just dispense with using the handbrake and neutral gear if it's obtrusive. So to avoid
being eco'd against my will, I shall simply drive in a less "safe™" manner to avoid triggering it. Same thing with that, you
have to turn it off each journey. Is there not a fuse you can pull PB? That's the first thing I'll be hunting for or maybe
disconnecting the dash switch might disable the system too. Had S/S on a hired Clio when I went to Monaco a few years back,
got on my tits it did.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another system with a myriad of sensors and doodads that can go wrong and will be expensive to replace. Annoyed the fuck out of me in the cars I've driven with it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
It's a pain in the arse. Can you imagine ten years down the line in the second hand market when the battery is on its way out.

Yes, you'd get a fault light on the dash telling you it's not working and you'd replace the battery. Much like any other vehicle battery. Edit: battery for my discovery is £89.

Works very very well in my Discovery 4 and wifes superb estate. The engine is running before I'm anywhere near selecting gear.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:24 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of disinformation in this thread.

Stop Start is designed by manufacturers to be supremely reliable. When the voltage of the battery drops, Stop start is disabled. The starter motors and other electrical gubbins are more resilient on a car with stop start.

Stop start has allowed Porsche to continue to produce powerful 911 iterations, and it allows BMW to build 300-400bhp monsters and still pass emissions. If it means I can have a car with loads of power and not have it strangled by trying to cut down CO2 in other ways, I'm all for it.

Yeah it's annoying at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

I suspect BMW for example test the stop start to destruction. There doesn't seem to be any common reports of stop start failing or causing other problems on any car that support it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:30 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agee with Marjay.

I used to stop my engine in long queues anyway, now it happens automatically without dropping out the stereo/handfree, headlights etc.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the folk who hate it, are either using old/crap systems, or those commonly found on diesels, as i have driven quite a few cars now with Stop/Start, and only ever found it intrusive on an older diesel Passat (most noticable by the clatter of the engine starting up)

On the newer MINI's and Honda Jazz petrol cars it is barely even noticeable, and is uncanny at knowing when you want it to start up again, even thinking about pressing the clutch seems to bring the Jazz engine back to life, but being a relatively small engined car with a quiet engine to start with, unless you are looking at the rev counter, you would hardly know it has stopped or started, and neither car has ever failed to start when needed

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fabia has Stop/Start and a push to start button

Doesn't often come on in the colder months. Handy in the summer when stuck in traffic for a long time.

Only time I've ever found it irritating is if I've stalled and I try to restart the car. It's usually kicked itself back in and I end up turning the car off! Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it on my a5 diesel. Standard routine is shut door, belt on, start engine, turn s/s off.

I leave it on when I'm pushing the envelope of fuel stops. 🤣

Doesn't bother me either way tbh, it's easy to turn on and off.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:49 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stop-start on my van is finally broken.

My understanding is it's not powered by the battery anyway. I thought it was an accumulator that spins up with the last of the engine revs.

In any case. I dipped the clutch, started to let it out, engine spun as if to start, failed to do so and left the nose of the van sticking 2 feet out into the junction with the central console reading "Error. Stop-start deactivated". or words to that effect. I then had to turn the key the way off before I could work the starter leaving me stuck out in the junction for longer than was healthy.

Happily nothing was coming.

Even more happily, it now defaults to start-stop off. The main dealer neither noticed nor mentioned this when it went in for its first service. Nor did they fix its tendancy to reset itself to kmh, lock-out all the radio controls or reset the language settings to French

Yay, Citroen. So I killed this "reliable" system to the point of potentially crash-inducing failure in less than 18 months.

Stop-start also makes you ride the clutch.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Stop start has allowed Porsche to continue to produce powerful 911 iterations, and it allows BMW to build 300-400bhp monsters and still pass emissions. If it means I can have a car with loads of power and not have it strangled by trying to cut down CO2 in other ways, I'm all for it.

Keep it on those cars then Smile I've driven a Fiat 500 and Astra Diesel with start/stop and it was crap on both of those.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:09 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus has it on her fiat 500, it's a bit naff, she has a button to turn it off which is now a part of her the starting routine. It's fine for traffic lights but shit for junctions. Other downside is a new battery for her car in £200+! It's a 1.2 FFS, my 2.5 litre Scooby cost £55 for a new battery.

It's starting to go I think this winter the stop start rarely kicks in however the car still starts with no hesitation, the battery is 8 years old TBF.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

My understanding is it's not powered by the battery anyway. I thought it was an accumulator that spins up with the last of the engine revs.

In any case. I dipped the clutch, started to let it out, engine spun as if to start, failed to do so and left the nose of the van sticking 2 feet out into the junction with the central console reading "Error. Stop-start deactivated". or words to that effect. I then had to turn the key the way off before I could work the starter leaving me stuck out in the junction for longer than was healthy.

Even more happily, it now defaults to start-stop off. The main dealer neither noticed nor mentioned this when it went in for its first service. Nor did they fix its tendancy to reset itself to kmh, lock-out all the radio controls or reset the language settings to French

Yay, Citroen. So I killed this "reliable" system to the point of potentially crash-inducing failure in less than 18 months.

In my car it's certainly the battery and standard starter motor.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:35 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Black Cabs, which seem to think its perfectly acceptable to sit on tick-over for 6 hours straight without moving, making the air generally un-breathable, I don't see any possible advantage to start-stop .......

I also don't see the possible environmental advantages of "hybrid" technology requiring 2 engines, which is twice the raw materials, and twice the mining and environmental cost, just to produce an extra 20 mpg.

Then they offer the car on PCP, meaning the new owner will bin it in 3 years time to buy a new one ........ meaning more use of natural resources....

I'd personally relax the MOT laws for private use and get people to get the older cars running longer .... I'm all for saving lives in the event of a crash, but if you spend most of life sniffing around B roads at 30 mph going to the shops, its unlikely your ever going to need a 100 mph crumple zone ....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define old? My car is nearly 12 years old, has a 5 star NCAP rating, doesn't feel/drive like an old car. The only thing I don't like is paying £230 a year 'road tax', apparently a 1.6L petrol kills many polarbears Rolling Eyes

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on my car - Leon 184 diesel which is a re-badged Golf GTD. It works well though can be a tiny bit hesitant sometimes. It's not awful though.
I just switch it off when the engine is first started.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop-start is a consequence of how fuel economy and emissions testing is carried out. The NEDC test cycle involves several periods of standstill - the car manufacturers realised that the engine did not have to be running then, and if they weren’t running then they weren’t burning fuel and pushing out gases. In the real world it only saves fuel if you stop, so for long journeys it is largely redundant..

I switch it off every time I drive now. It works fine, but I prefer to keep the engine running and stable unless I am stopped for a long time.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That. My location here is mostly free running traffic with very few waits and no long waits. Stop start for me is pointless but I do also see the benefits.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:06 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The only way it could have resulted in the nose of the vehicle sticking out of a junction is if you lifted the clutch as it was starting and if you do that, itll then stop (most modern cars have a clutch switch interlock).

You can do the same if you dip the clutch, press the starter button and then raise the clutch immediately, it'll cut off again.

chris-red wrote:
My missus has it on her fiat 500, it's a bit naff, she has a button to turn it off which is now a part of her the starting routine. It's fine for traffic lights but shit for junctions. Other downside is a new battery for her car in £200+! It's a 1.2 FFS, my 2.5 litre Scooby cost £55 for a new battery.

It's starting to go I think this winter the stop start rarely kicks in however the car still starts with no hesitation, the battery is 8 years old TBF.

Why does it affect junctions? Most only switch off when youre out of gear with the clutch released so if youre sat at a junction and its your turn to go (in gear, foot on clutch) then it's not doing anything.

Sister Sledge wrote:
^^ That. My location here is mostly free running traffic with very few waits and no long waits. Stop start for me is pointless but I do also see the benefits.

Exactly this, it's horses for courses. On my normal commute, the Mrs car never stops. On hers it stops for a minute or two four or five times as she heads into town. Much the same as hybrids, the extra 20mpg is totally irrelevant, the issue is air quality in urban areas. Your hybrid allows you to leave your house on electric, when you hit a normal road the engine kicks in to provide the extra power and charge the batteries and then the last few miles to work in stop start traffic are done on electric so all the emissions are waaay out of town and minimised by running the engine efficiently and warming it up quickly.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:05 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

chris-red wrote:

Why does it affect junctions? Most only switch off when youre out of gear with the clutch released so if youre sat at a junction and its your turn to go (in gear, foot on clutch) then it's not doing anything.

Hers is a Dualogic, this means it has a manual box but controlled by the car.

The stop start can come on whenever the car is stationary and the brake on. If you pull up to a junction or roundabout and stop briefly before intending to go it can kick in right when you want to pull out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3