BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pooberg

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Pooberg Reply with quote

We had the misfortune to have to unblock our drains yesterday. Sid took up the manhole cover to discover a massive poo/fatberg which has obviously been incubating since before we lived here Puke

Way too big to break up and flush down, we (Well Sid really, I was hiding in the house with the widows shut) removed it by the shovel full.

It is now double-bagged, weighing several kilo's sitting in the garden -I swear it's pulsating - in full sunshine.

So, my serious question to BCF is what to do with it? How does one dispose, legally and safely, of a massive lump of grease/poo/soap/tissue? Surely we're not the first Thinking

Where's Bodytard when we need him? He was always dumping shit in lay-bys.

In other related news, we now have the cleanest drains in the country, although Sid wasnt allowed back into my life until he'd been scrubbed and flushed too Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could just box it and send it to Northampton County Council, that'd be grand.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know any artists who work in semi-solids?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Pooberg Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
How does one dispose, legally and safely, of a massive lump of grease/poo/soap/tissue?

As it's bagged up, take it to your local household refuse tip (or add it to your normal refuse in smaller amounts (to stop the dustmen from straining themselves)). People have been told to dispose of solid fat like this by water companies.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cripes, well done Sidders, that's a proper nasty job, real mens work.

There was a picture in the Evening Standard yesterday of a rat that got stuck in a sewer manhole cover in London, cos he was too fat to get thru the holes, and had to be rescued by the Fire Brigade. First thing that struck me was that he was probably down there nibbling fatbergs. He had such a terrified look on his ratty little face, I can safely say that its the first time I've ever actually felt sorry for a rat.

I'll be interested to know how you manage to (lawfully Laughing ) end up disposing of it.

Not all councils are going to have the same rules about it. My overactive imagination has previously had awful visions of such things being fly-tipped, mehhhh. Puke Puke

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
a picture in the Evening Standard yesterday of a rat that got stuck in a sewer manhole cover in London

Bensheim, Germany. It was probably the excess sausage fat congealed by reaction with pickled sauerkraut wot dun it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:06 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpos

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
hellkat wrote:
a picture in the Evening Standard yesterday of a rat that got stuck in a sewer manhole cover in London

Bensheim, Germany. It was probably the excess sausage fat congealed by reaction with pickled sauerkraut wot dun it.

Ooohhhhh I had only assumed it was London - I got sidetracked by its little squealy face and didn't check where it was.

Scheisse-ratte.
Excellent.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Well, I have got form for this, in a previous existence I worked on sewer mapping/surveying, I've, literally, lifted 1000's of manhole covers, peered down them, unblocked them, taken measurements, etc.
IME, (years of it), apart from sewers collapsing, the most common causes of blocked sewers are, in no particular order.
Tree roots growing into the sewer and blocking it.
Something, usually a lollipop stick getting wedged across a joint and causing a blockage.
Fat bergs!
I only ever saw one rat!
We got called to a job, a culvert was blocked, which was causing flooding. The start of the culvert was large, you could easily walk in.
I didn't draw the short straw, so another lad went in to see if he could find the problem. He went in all kitted up, breathing apparatus, gas monitor, safety line, walkie talkie, etc. He was to walk in as far as he could, if he couldn't see anything he'd come out and we'd send in the remote camera.
It didn't take long to find the problem, there was a dead cow in there, must have wandered in, got stuck and died.

Just to confirm a few myths.
Yes, people do turn up at sewage works looking for there false teeth.
You do not digest sweet corn!
You do not digest tomato seeds, in sewage works that still had settlement beds, there were loads of tomato plants growing, and yes, people did eat them.
Sewage works stink, eventually you learn to ignore it, I've seen visitors/contractors spewing within minutes of turning up.
Some sewage works have automated, outdoor, air fresheners!
The go to method to un-stick a seized a MH cover, (a proper MH cover, suitable for use in, say, a main road), is to hit it with a large sledge hammer. If that fails you need to get out the hydraulic lifter and help it along with a very large pry bar and the sledge hammer.

I've done a cctv sewer survey of a sewage system in a very security conscious location, I can't tell you where it was!

That's enough about sewers.
All I will say is, where there's muck, there's brass!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, one incident I just remembered.
We needed to survey a sewage pumping station.
This can't be done until the sump is empty.
I got sent out to do the survey, as the sump was being emptied that day.
When I turned up a vactor unit was pumping out the sump.
I was chatting to the foreman when the hose going to the tanker decided to disconnect itself.
Everyone on site got covered in, what is laughingly called, sludge, what any normal person would call shite!
Despite it being before lunch time I went home immediately to get a shower, I didn't go back to work that day!!!!! Sick

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few years ago my toilet backed up and my then landlord, who lived next door, said it had happened before because the drain was too shallow, so he stuck a hosepipe into the manhole cover outside my door. He then lifted the cover in his yard and we watched my accumulated shits and bog roll flow by while I endeavoured to make polite conversation with him and his wife. Happily, inexplicably, it didn't smell particularly bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other Suntan news, we now have a solution.

We're going to put the double-bagged pooberg into a bag for life, pour 10 litres of cat litter over it and gaffer tape it shut.

Then it can go in non-recyclables.

People put cat shit and shitty nappies in their bins don't they? The only difference is that this is 20kg of shit/grease in one go Sick

What could possibly go wrong?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have to buy bin liners because an East European company is in cahoots with every charity and council to collect clothing (and bric-a-brac), sell them abroad, and "donate" a measly £50 per tonne to the charity. The council get to fulfill their "recycling" objectives and the charities get a token amount with zero effort. Meanwhile the donors mistakenly believe they're doing good and the company gets rich on charitable donations. As I said though, I use them as bin bags, so I suggest your double-bagged shite-berg should go kerbside on collection day to be transported across the Continent and unveiled in the back of Bulgarian Oxfam.

Oh, and "The Children's Air Ambulance"? WTF!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a covered internal manhole in our office that no one knew was there... It became known because one day because the office started smelling like a sewage plant, the next day a large stain started appearing through the carpet tiles!

Turns out the pump station up the road had failed and this manhole was absolutely brimmed with office coffee fuelled shite.

A brave plumber was employed to get it flowing again. I remember seeing him at lunchtime chomping down on his sandwich after he’d been unclogging 😳

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
an East European company is in cahoots with every charity and council to collect clothing (and bric-a-brac), sell them abroad, and "donate" a measly £50 per tonne to the charity.

I don't know about that company, but if you take bags of clothes only suitable tor rags to Age Concern, they will be very pleased to have them, since they get a quid or two a sack. Rather more than £50/ton.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

People put cat shit and shitty nappies in their bins don't they? The only difference is that this is 20kg of shit/grease in one go Sick

What could possibly go wrong?

Fingers crossed the RSPCA doesn't catch wind (pun intended) of your 20kg turds in cat litter. They may suspect your kitty is a Lion!

Don't roses like a lot of manure? Could you turn them into rose beds and then display at Chelsea Flower show?

Something rather poetic about turning something quite grim into something lovely.
Not to mention, when Alan Titchmarsh asks for the secret to your success, you can reply "lion poo". Could start a whole new craze as gardeners pay fortunes for bags of lion poo where you are the only provider.

My Dragons Den pitch might need some work.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just burn it in the garden. Should burn well due to the fat content.
They burn poo in other countries so why not here?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lads following that dustcart around all day won't thank you. Soon as that bag goes in the back it will split open and kick
right up as it gets pulped by the compaction mechanism. Hope it doesn't go pop while someones standing next to it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most eco-friendly, neighbour-friendly and binman-friendly method of disposal would simply be to bury it (unwrapped, obvs) in the garden...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-an-Awesome-Trebuchet/

Just sayin'.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Shocked I bet your neighbors love you Shocked .

“What’s he doing now”?....... he’s just unwrapped a huge turd Sick ....oh no! Shocked , “ he’s setting it on fire”!!!....... “jeez, can you smell that”? Sick Sick

Last edited by pepperami on 14:53 - 28 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-an-Awesome-Trebuchet/

... is the winner Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

There was a picture in the Evening Standard yesterday of a rat that got stuck in a sewer manhole cover in London, cos he was too fat to get thru the holes, and had to be rescued by the Fire Brigade. First thing that struck me was that he was probably down there nibbling fatbergs. He had such a terrified look on his ratty little face, I can safely say that its the first time I've ever actually felt sorry for a rat.

I'll be interested to know how you manage to (lawfully Laughing ) end up disposing of it.

Not all councils are going to have the same rules about it. My overactive imagination has previously had awful visions of such things being fly-tipped, mehhhh. Puke Puke

A bit sexist is it not my dear?

Women should have the right to dig out poobergs as well as men. Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but no thanks.

Would you like a martini? You must have had a hard day
Just let me know what time you want your dinner on the table.
I'll just pop upstairs and check your bathwater is the right temperature.
Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

They slit the throats of live sheep in the streets in other countries, and we didn't like it when they thought that could do that here too, either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2