Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pre-emptive cleaning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:29 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Pre-emptive cleaning Reply with quote

Hello all. I have recently swapped my tired and worn out hornet 900 for a KTM 390 Duke

It's due to arrive in a week and I was hoping for some advice on pre-emptive measures I can take to try and keep it clean and shiny for as long as possible (aside from not riding it into a tree).

I am very lucky in the fact that I found a bike that was only 11 months old and had covered a mere 349 miles!

I would like to do as much as I can to it before i start riding it to stop it turning into the crusty mess my 900 ended up as.

Current plans are:

ACF 50 treatment where appropriate

A 'speedo angel' screen to protect the TFT display dash.

Autoglym do a fantastic wheel protect I will be using

Any other recommendations or products to avoid welcome!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:34 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Pre-emptive cleaning Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:

Yeah, I'd probably avoid the KTM 390.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:42 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Pre-emptive cleaning Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
MisterPrice1000 wrote:

Yeah, I'd probably avoid the KTM 390.

Ahhh come on mate, if youre going to rain on my parade, at least say why!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get it, thoroughly clean and dry it. For paintwork, give it several layers of a good auto wax (e.g. Collinite 476s) which will protect that nicely. Then cover up tyres/brakes/control points (handlebars, levers, pegs etc.), take off the seat and douse the bike in ACF50 (including the underside!). Let it "soak in" for a good 20 minutes before going over with a soft cloth to wipe off the excess.

From that point onwards, the key is keeping it clean, topping up the ACF50 reasonably regularly and cleaning/waxing the paintwork from time to time.

No matter what you do though, every bike will eventually show signs of age, treatments like the above will slow this down, as will riding it only in dry weather, avoiding salt, garaging it etc. etc. - it's all a balance.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:35 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you research the 390.

That's my reasoning. They are cheaply made, things just break on them. The dash stops working, bearings just give up, rust appears all over the place... They are budget bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Pre-emptive cleaning Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:
Ahhh come on mate, if youre going to rain on my parade, at least say why!

I seem to remember they have build quality issues, and rust fairly easily.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several coats of Colinite 476s.

Really? I'd go two thin coats maximum. But would probably use something softer for ease of application.
476s can leave some chalky deposits behind, especially if you are slapping the stuff on.

Personally I use vinyl and rubber trim gel for the engine parts, frame and black plastics, quick detailer for the rest.
Chain fling and wheels cleaned of grease using these builders handy wipes which cleans off greasy deposits and are
of course disposable. Safe enough for your hands so won't hurt paints or plastics. Thumbs Up

KTM anecdote - Fowlers van driver came to collect my bike as I had holed the rad. In conversation he mentioned it
made a change to not be collecting KTMs. There were 3 already on the van going back for warranty work.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Several coats of Colinite 476s.

Really? I'd go two thin coats maximum. But would probably use something softer for ease of application.
476s can leave some chalky deposits behind, especially if you are slapping the stuff on.

By several I mean 2 or 3 coats . . thin ones, I find Collinite works best applied in very thin layers as otherwise, like you say, it can get a bit tenacious.

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:59 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Did you research the 390.

That's my reasoning. They are cheaply made, things just break on them. The dash stops working, bearings just give up, rust appears all over the place... They are budget bikes.

I certainly agree they are budget bikes, which is why I'm buying one as I currently dont earn enough to get something better.

That being said I did do as much research as I could. I watched/ read as many long term test reviews as I could and I also took the time to assist a work colleague with does a service on his so i had a chance to look at one that is used daily up on a ramp.

You're the first I have heard to mention rust but I will see how I get on with mine.

I will be using mine every day for around 70 miles. I know for sure that this is gonna deteriorate the bike wayyyy quicker than if it was in a garage and only came out to see the sun but that's not why I'm buying it.

Appreciate the advice so far everyone. Looks like I'm off to get me some wax and some wipes!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you commute in all weathers? If not there's no need for any of this bullshit snake-oil crap. If you DO commute in all weathers, chances are any bike's going to look a bit sorry for itself without very, very regular TLC. By which I mean daily. I know, I know - there's all these accounts of ACF50-ing a bike in September and hosing it off in April, to reveal a brand new machine beneath the encrusted layers of winter's crud. But if you're riding on salty city roads, and parking it outside every night, chances are any bike's going to look a bit the worse for wear after a few years of it.

If 95% of your riding is in dry weather there's no need to do anything. Just dry it off a bit when it's wet, keep it in a garage or shed, and in winter may be spray it with some WD40 or similar every now and again. Bit of an oily rag wipe over ditto. But how and what you do to maintain any bike's finish depends on frequency and type of use.

My main worry with a 390 would be what's going on internally rather than externally, but this might be because I've read bad things that aren't that factual.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:17 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ThunderGuts"For paintwork, give it several layers of a good auto wax (e.g. Collinite 476s) which will protect that nicely.[/quote]

Stupid question time but i would rather ask than mess it up.

A vast majority of the KTM is plastic . Would the wax still be suitable for that?

Thanks

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can wax plastic.

To be fair, I don't ride it in the wet or wash the bike in the traditional sense. It gets wiped down more than washed.
The orangey wipes are excellent for removing oil fling from the back wheel and surrounding areas. Most of my cleaning
is carried out indoors as I use waterless methods, If I needed an all weather commuter then I'd probably ACF50
it after a clean as well, just to seal it in or more likely I'd just use my plastic bodied scoot if I really HAD to ride somewhere
when the weathers bad.

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the advice

This is going to be an all weather bike, which is why I'm hoping to get it as protected as possible while it's still as clean as can be!

Has anyone used the ACF grease in a tube? Just wondered if there is any point in putting that around the electrical connections and rubbers etc or if I'm just duplicating my workload

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Wash bike with car shampoo and open ended hose.
2. Use fallout remover on wheels, brake disc, anything metal including paint
3. Rinse again
4. Clay bar or clay mitt the paintwork
5. Rinse again
6. Seal with Fusso99 (best hydrophobic sealant you can get)
6. Cover all electrical couplers or exposed wiring in dielectric grease
7. In winter, cover the bike in ACF50 inc the underside
8. If you want to go one step further, buy some cavity wax and inject it into the frame itself (find an opening).

Thats what ive always done on my bikes and they've always looked like new despite only washing the bike maybe 4 times a year. Note that the fallout, clay and ACF50 is only done once a year. Fusso99 maximum twice a year, it lasts forever

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more details on the kind of use it's getting? All year round commuting? Is that it? In that case, I personally prefer a sort of 'little and often' kind of approach. Wet bike? Dry it off somehow (rags), clean and oil chain, spray metal parts w/ wd40 or similar (not on brakes. obvs). Dry bike? Don't do anything apart from clean and oil chain. This has been what I've done on all the bikes I've owned and they've tended to look almost as good as when I bought them (NB I only buy 2nd hand). Every now and again they look better with a bit of aha ahem 'detailing' - i.e. wd40 on a rag, clean wheels, swing arm, casings etc. Other than that, fuck it.

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:23 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really liking all of these suggestions so far so thanks!

I'm gonna get myself some fusso wax and some acf spray as well as some dielectric grease I think!

Ive not heard of fallout remover before, any particular one recommended?

As for the fusso wax I'm guessing it's the anti-corrosion one that they do, I finally worked something out for myself hahaha

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy loads of weird and wonderful expensive products that don't much more than an oily rag

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:
daily up on a ramp.

Sounds about right.

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:44 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
MisterPrice1000 wrote:
daily up on a ramp.

Sounds about right.

Hahahaha I walked into that one

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:03 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience using ACF50 for the past three years is that for snake oil it does an amazing good job.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said before, wax can be used any painted material - it's the paint it protects Thumbs Up

I used to use Klasse all in one acrylic sealant under Collinite too for extra protection. In fact, my ritual for my cars (and I have done this to one of my bikes, but it's a naked and the only painted bit is the fuel tank);

1) Rinse thoroughly
2) wash with Megs Gold Class, two bucket method and wool mitt
3) rinse thoroughly
4) clay bar with Megs quick detailer
5) wash and rinse again
6) Klasse All-in-one then buff
7) 2-3 coats Collinite

That finish will lift the paintwork to lovely depth of colour and will protect it for ages too. It's hard work but detailing stuff smells nice and it's quite satisfying to get a great result at the end of it. Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
My experience using ACF50 for the past three years is that for snake oil it does an amazing good job.

I'm really on about shit like anything billed as "bike shampoo," "endurance high gloss tyre gel," and anything w/ "prime grade carnauba wax". All bollocks. And there's more and more of this shit around.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Pre-emptive cleaning Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:
Autoglym do a fantastic wheel protect I will be using,

I'd never heard of this but I think I'll give it a try.
Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I'm really on about shit like anything billed as "bike shampoo," "endurance high gloss tyre gel," and anything w/ "prime grade carnauba wax". All bollocks. And there's more and more of this shit around.

In fairness though, there is some actual tech behind ACF50 so I do think it's a worthy product. Long term . . . well, I'll have to wait and see. I think good quality auto wax is far superior to cheap stuff, it just lasts longer (hence why I use Colly 476). I agree there's a lot of pap around marketed as amazing but it's just clever advertising - the trick is to know which is which I guess!

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:
Thanks again for the advice

This is going to be an all weather bike, which is why I'm hoping to get it as protected as possible while it's still as clean as can be!

Has anyone used the ACF grease in a tube? Just wondered if there is any point in putting that around the electrical connections and rubbers etc or if I'm just duplicating my workload

I put it where ever theres a chance for water to hold .. round the pegs
bar joints .. ect ect ..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2